Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K7 vs K5

I know there are lots of threads about this, but I'm mostly looking for low light comparisons. I looked, but didn't find anything with same images / same ISO. I'm sure they exist, and I'm just not putting in the right key words.

11-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need any tests...............I had a K7 and sold it to get a K5...............there is no question the K5 is DRAMATICALLY better in low light....
11-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, don't get a K-7 if you're looking for the best in IQ.
Pentax K-5 - Review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I know there are lots of threads about this, but I'm mostly looking for low light comparisons. I looked, but didn't find anything with same images / same ISO. I'm sure they exist, and I'm just not putting in the right key words.
Did you try Image Resources Comparometer? They have studio RAW files for each ISO sensitivity between most DSLR camera's on the market.

PS. the K-5 has the best high ISO performance of any APS-C camera to date. ex: ISO6400 RAW image

11-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've currently got a K7, so not planning on getting one, just I've been doing a few jobs lately in low light areas, and the K7 isn't bad, but I'm just trying to see how much better the K5 is, hence the direct comparison.
11-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam, that thread you posted has what I was looking for. All I can say is WOW, what a difference. Now to save up. Those high ISO shots that would be almost junk on the K7 look like 800 ISO on the K7, but 6400 on the K5. Thanks for the link.
11-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Did you try Image Resources Comparometer? They have studio RAW files for each ISO sensitivity between most DSLR camera's on the market.

PS. the K-5 has the best high ISO performance of any APS-C camera to date. ex: ISO6400 RAW image

I wish you hadn't mentioned that site now i desperately want a 645d (compare it with the k5, the colours are so much more natural damn)
11-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I wish you hadn't mentioned that site now i desperately want a 645d (compare it with the k5, the colours are so much more natural damn)
That's true, though I've found the K-5 could be easily adjusted to match. Having said that, there's little one can do to match the microntrast and detail gained with the 645D's massive sensor with larger prints.

11-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My dad wants a 645d also. And yes, it's a great camera, the pictures are amazing- but it's the resolution that makes them what they are. And IMHO, that resolution is not worth an extra $8800 at the expense of handling and lens selection.

Have you seen this 3-way comparison (left to right: Pentax K-7, Nikon D3x, Pentax 645D)?

Definitely does make the 645 look nice, all else aside... More at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-645d-review-nikon-d3x/review.html#ixzz1e5iKzqbg

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I know, but damn it looks good. unless i win the lottery though my lust will go unfulfilled (a K5 will happen sooner or later though)
11-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My dad wants a 645d also. And yes, it's a great camera, the pictures are amazing- but it's the resolution that makes them what they are. And IMHO, that resolution is not worth an extra $8800 at the expense of handling and lens selection.

Have you seen this 3-way comparison (left to right: Pentax K-7, Nikon D3x, Pentax 645D)?
Great comparison!
I wonder if at higher aperture on the 645D would have made a better comparison against the K-7.
03-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

K-7 isn't on their list of cameras!
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dinneenp Quote
K-7 isn't on their list of cameras!
I think its because the K-7 has been discontinued. However, if you hit the all link at the top of the comparometer, it will list all of the camera's(past & present) including the K-7.
Having said that, in case you don't want to fiddle with that, here's a direct link to the test images: Pentax K-7 Camera Thumbnails - Full Review

Hope this helps,
JohnBee