Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Similar problem with K100D

I received my K100D Super three weeks ago and LOVE it.

I have been using it at 4MP with Best (***) quality most of the time, occasionally 6MP & RAW. I took some pictures at 1.5M and Good (*) quality. I could view them on the camera and downloaded them to my PC. Now, after returning to the 4MP *** setting, when I try to view them on the camera I receive the "Camera cannot display this image" message. I can still view the image on the camera when connected to the PC. I also downloaded the images to a different computer and can see them on the PC

I have a 2GB Toshiba SD card (purchased at Sam's Club, not eBay) which was formatted in the camera and has never been removed. I haven't had any problems with the other 400+ pictures I've taken, though they were not at that low resolution & quality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tirec

09-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
Well, I may owe a debt of gratitude to ChipB for pointing me in the most likely direction for the cause of my problems...

On inspection of the same brand/type SD card from other retail outlets, it would seem some obvious discrepancies exist between their merchandise and the cards I purchased.

Hopefully, my attachment can be viewed here, in which case you can see the differences between the two examples. (Please ignore my Nikko scawl at top-right of card)

The telltale ridge at the bottom of genuine SanDisk cards is missing from my card, and (this is the profession graphic design coming out in me) there are a few clumsy design elements in the label composition compared to the label on the genuine card, including:

1) Inadequate space between the bottom edge of the label and the "SD" symbol (a definite graphic design no-no)
2) Minor differences in the brand logo at the top of the label (eg:the "registered" symbol is too large; scaling between uppercase and lowercase letters slightly different; point of the "D" is more rounded than pointed)
3) Different font for the "2.0GB" text, and VERY amateur kerning of the letters and numbers!
4) The curve between the two blue tones is too sharp.

...and another thing, the lock-tag seems to be fixed in place. I can't shift it!

Now, I'm not concluding that this is definite proof of a fake card, as it's possible mine is from older stock with an earlier less-professional label, but I wonder if the older cards still had the ridge at the bottom. If they did, then it's pretty safe to assume I have a couple of fakes on my hands.

In the meantime, I'll be informing eBay and the reseller who supplied me with the cards. If I can be sure that the cards are fake, I will gladly inform this forum of the seller's name and details, so that it can be blacklisted.
Hi all,

I think I have identified my memory card as a fake - but I was wondering if there is anyway that I can get the photos with the 'camera cannot display image' message off the camera?

Thanks