Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K10D multi-exposure mode tricks. Let's share more

I read all kind of questions on various forums and blogs about using neutral density filters. The use of neutral density filters can diminish the light reaching the sensor, and in turn, allowing a larger aperture during bright daylight. I assume that you know why this is useful, but here is a brief scenario. Itís mid-afternoon with the sun directly above the scene. The scene is of a water fall or of water rushing in a river. You want to capture the water with a slow shutter speed so that it will have that soft velvety look to it. In order to do that, you need a slow shutter speed of 1/8th to 1/30th of a second, or even slower depending of course of the speed at which the water is flowing. At such a slow shutter speed, even with smallest aperture, it often is still too bright to capture the photograph. What do you do?

You use the Pentax K10D multi-exposure mode. I don't want to write a full page here on the subject, but please visit my blog and come back here after to leave your comments, suggestions and other tricks you have learned using this excellent tool. Let's help all other out. The more tricks you suggest, the more we all learn.

Pentax dslrs

Thank you for reading and for your response,

Yvon Bourque

12-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

hmmm....

I'll give it a stab but it'll take me a minute.
im glad you posted this riddle, should be fun figuring it out.

...but since i can.t read your post right now im going to have to repost after this

8)
12-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

dude why dont you just stack a couple of nd's
or
you can shoot longer with a tripod at 1/8. pull your subject away from the bg (waterfall) telephoto compression will give you the same effect as a wide aperture (concering DOF), sidelight the subject with a remote flash to freeze the motion--optical slave would work fine for this scenario

but that doesnt really use a double exposure like you want....
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

ok i guess just shoot one exposure for the waterfall at f22 and 1/8

then shoot another exposure for the rest at 1/999 and f 0.95

....but that would be for a photoshop double exposure.

shooting a double exposure like you are talking about is something you would need to experiment with.

thank you for bringing this up, i plan to go over that in the manual.

mitch

12-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have shot a lot of muliple exposure, film and digital. In a pinch:

1. Use your sunglasses!
2. Wave your hand / newspaper / burger wrapper, etc. in front of the lens (very very crude, but works sometimes)
3. Don't expose on water / sky / snow / ice hilites, expose overall or aimed at mid - darker areas; expect some blown out details. Deal with them.
4. [Log2x] For the technically minded, how to calculate multiple exposure compensation.
12-17-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
I have shot a lot of muliple exposure, film and digital.
You would find that using multiple exposure with K10D is quite different.

QuoteQuote:
4. [Log2x] For the technically minded, how to calculate multiple exposure compensation.
And that's the beauty of K10D - it does the calculation for you! You don't even need to know or care about any compensation at all. Just set Auto EV compensation "On", and you are all set.

This technique has been discussed extensively in dpreview previously:

K10d Multi-exposure mode [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
12-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried it with my K10 last month, it is cool and the main great thing is that it won't blow the highlight and stuff away, however I have never try changing lens in-between Multi-exposure shot, is it possible with K10D?
12-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

What shutter speed do you use, or do you just set it at aperture priority and then set multi-exposure and auto EV adjust?

12-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is one of the biggest regrets I have with not buying the K10D in the first place. But when I bought my K110D I didn't know anything about photography other than you look at something and push the button, then have somebody print it for you. I can't wait until I have enough money to get the K10D or maybe even one of the newer models coming out soon. I think double exposures can be really helpful, especially for doing things like you talked about in your moon shot with your daughter. I noticed that it lets you set an auto ev compensation, that is pretty cool, so you don't have to worry about figuring out the exposure needed for each frame. Nice little tutorial, I just wish I had the camera to play with it.
12-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
I read all kind of questions on various forums and blogs about using neutral density filters. The use of neutral density filters can diminish the light reaching the sensor, and in turn, allowing a larger aperture during bright daylight. I assume that you know why this is useful, but here is a brief scenario. Itís mid-afternoon with the sun directly above the scene. The scene is of a water fall or of water rushing in a river. You want to capture the water with a slow shutter speed so that it will have that soft velvety look to it. In order to do that, you need a slow shutter speed of 1/8th to 1/30th of a second, or even slower depending of course of the speed at which the water is flowing. At such a slow shutter speed, even with smallest aperture, it often is still too bright to capture the photograph. What do you do?

You use the Pentax K10D multi-exposure mode. I don't want to write a full page here on the subject, but please visit my blog and come back here after to leave your comments, suggestions and other tricks you have learned using this excellent tool. Let's help all other out. The more tricks you suggest, the more we all learn.

Pentax dslrs

Thank you for reading and for your response,

Yvon Bourque
Hi Yvon,

Thanks for sharing the multiple shot method of bluring water. I just ordered a K10D on Saturday and can't wait to try it out.

Best regards

Rob (Mithrandir)