Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #1

Camera mode

Which mode do you use most when you're taking shots? Being only a 6 day old owner of the k100d, I'm still toying around and trying to find which mode works best for me. So I'm just asking to see what my fellow pentax owners shoot in. For me right now, I've mostly been messing around with Av and TV mode. Sometimes I try to M mode, but not as much.

Also, do most of you use AWB, or do you use the custom WB? If you use custom, how do you go about setting it up for shots?

Thanks for any info folks.

12-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With my DS, I shoot mostly in AV mode, switching to TV when I need to be sure of a certain shutter speed.

With the K10, I've been shooting in Program, because it has Hyper-program , that allows me to change instantly to AV or TV.

-Alan
12-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I do use AWB with the DS as long as there's plenty of light, or if using flash. Any other time I use one of the WB settings, and in bad conditions I use manual white balance. I find P mode with the built in flash to be usually good, though for more moving subjects and flash I use AV mode and set more DOF (f/8 or something) this allows for less accurate/faster focus.

To help auto exposure with flash for example, try setting multisegment metering relative to AF point in custom menu, and don't worry about autofocus lock too much. It's up to you. Try everything it has to offer. I love the DS.

Another point is to really learn to use M mode well first of all. After you get a good grasp of M mode the other settings will make sense.
12-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I'm either in Green mode these days, or M, and I use that little button next to the shutter button with the green dot in it. Set to M, this button will tell the camera to set the best parameters for the shot - it'll know if you have the flash up and adjust accordingly.

The 4 pics I posted yesterday from my office were all shot this way - I like it as it not only worked well, but helped me understand a good starting point for a decent picture. My camera is helping me learn - I love my K10d. It's got my back!

12-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
Which mode do you use most when you're taking shots? Being only a 6 day old owner of the k100d, I'm still toying around and trying to find which mode works best for me. So I'm just asking to see what my fellow pentax owners shoot in. For me right now, I've mostly been messing around with Av and TV mode. Sometimes I try to M mode, but not as much.
I very seldom use Auto. I never (well, almost never) use the specialty modes like portrait, landscape, etc., although to be honest, I have not tried them and perhaps I should. My default mode for quick shooting is P. After that it just depends on what I want. If I'm trying to control DOF, I shoot in Av. I'll shoot in Av in order to get the highest shutter speed, too: open the aperture all the way and let the camera determine what is the fastest shutter speed for that aperture. Sometimes I need to control the aperture regardless of whether there's enough light to make the meter happy, and then I use Tv and live with the consequences I try to shoot at ISO 200 whenever possible, but that's part of the equation, too.

I do use manual, but only for special problems.

QuoteQuote:
Also, do most of you use AWB, or do you use the custom WB? If you use custom, how do you go about setting it up for shots?
I almost always set the WB manually. I should try doing some experiments to see how good AWB is. My guess is that it's okay outdoors, but not so good indoors, but to be honest, I'm not sure why I think that.

WP

Last edited by WMBP; 12-21-2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Fixed mistake in my first sentence. I said "very seldom use P"; meant to say "Auto".
12-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

zx-50...I used the scene modes a bit as it was my first foray into slr's
then hung around Tv and M.

*ist, mostly used M and Av

k10d P, Av, Tv (only had for a month so...)

as for wb......depending on the light....i'd do a few shots, then adjust accordingly. if im lazy, id go awb
12-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If I remember, I set mine to P before I put it away, so if I want to grab it and shoot something quickly it has a chance of getting a decent picture. When my brain isn't fuzzy I shoot in either M or Av

As for WB, I use Auto, only because I haven't been successful yet in manually setting the white balance, the picture always comes out terrible. I'm sure it's me and not the camera!
12-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
Which mode do you use most when you're taking shots?
I prefer to use my old manual lenses, so I'm stuck on M. But using the AE-L button makes it pretty much like Av, to me. On the odd occasion that I use the kit lens I'm usually in Av. At first, I played around comparing my efforts in Av and M with the various modes, and it was helpful for (re)learning what works.

QuoteQuote:
I use AWB, but I shoot mostly raw so it doesn't really matter. In nearly all cases it gets it right (judging by the default conversion with the camera's wb choice) but if I'm ever shooting jpeg indoors without flash, or in intense late afternoon low sunlight, I think I'd want to figure out how to set wb!

What mode you use really depends on how you shoot - if you're trying to catch fast-moving objects, you need Tv or the sports mode (or whatever it's called). If you're doing macros, you'd probably want Av (to control dof) or the macro mode. If you want to experiment, take similar shots in whatever mode seems appropriate and in a mode that allows you more control (Av, Tv or M) and compare the results. The joy of digital is being able to look at the exif data, you can see what the camera did vs what you did, and see what works best. And best of all, you're not pissing away all your money on film!

Julie

12-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I shoot P most of the time - AWB for most things, except incandescent, then switch to Tungsten.

I'll hit Av and Tv periodically - but not very often - usually don't have time to play with settings when I'm chasing the kids around
12-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, I really haven't had the time to play with the camera, and learn/play with all the features like I want to. Last weekend got the camera, I was stuck at work. By the time I'm home, it's dark outside. So that just leaves me with stuff to shoot around at home. But with the holidays, that's been had to do as well. Plus I would drive my girlfriend crazy if I played with the camera 24/7. And now my mom is in town this weekend.

So I'm hoping next weekend to get up bright and early and get some shots and work and learn the camera some more.

I started out with auto settings when I first got my camera, that didn't last more than 2 minutes. Now I've mostly been playing with Tv and AV, with different lighting. Today here at work I messed around with M mode. Not really trying to get to many creative shots right now, just trying to get the shutter speed/aperture timing down. So now I've been trying P mode and learning the settings that puts out, then trying them out in the other modes.

As far as WB goes, I usally leave it on AWB, bump up the iso or use the flash if I have to. And Usually use Tungsten, and I messed with Florescent a few times.

But big thanks to all that responded to this thread.
12-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Custom WB is a must; unless using flash, then use the flash WB.

As for mode, and as odd as it may seem, on Auto for a first shot then P with a quick dip into the settings for the right line. Finally M for any fine tuning.

In some cases: sports, straight to Program & speed priority; macros Program & MTF or Depth. Portraits: M--flash too.