Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does your camera have a name?

I don't know If there's a thread for this already but here we go (: this was Inspired by the motorcycle forum that I'm active at.

Mine was unfortunately named "phi-lip" by my sister. She names her cameras and mine got the privilege to be named "phi-lip"

Anyway, there's got to be other folks out there that have names for their cameras. What are the names and details?

11-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, but the gps in my car is Martha. And the one in the truck is Mabel. Martha is very polite and nice. Mabel gets nasty if you take a wrong turn.
11-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No, but the gps in my car is Martha. And the one in the truck is Mabel. Martha is very polite and nice. Mabel gets nasty if you take a wrong turn.
'That would be something to have our Pentax camera's to talk to us!
11-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have enough imagination to name mine, but check this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/140398-um-have-you-named.html

11-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My white K-x is "Clone Trooper"
11-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
'That would be something to have our Pentax camera's to talk to us!
Well, considering the quirky color selections Pentax has come up with, a talking camera would not be a far stretch.

"Your shutter speed is set too low for this exposure, please correct your shutter speed or select another mode"
11-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
I don't have enough imagination to name mine, but check this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/140398-um-have-you-named.html
Here's what I posted on that thread:

I currently possess 40 cameras, plus another 35 that I've sold, plus another 10 that I've lost somehow. This does not include webcams, doorcams, backupcams, etc. I have not and do not and will not name them. I possessed an old Bessamatic for a few weeks, and I referred to it as BESSIE to the buyer, but that was just marketing. I suppose I couol call my two Argus C3's OLD BRICK and OLDER BRICK, but I don't. I suppose I could call my K20D GENTLE BEN because it's such a bear, but I don't. And I could call my failed Sony DSC-W7 YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SH!T but I don't.

No names! Why not?

1) I'd probably forget the names unless they were tattooed on the cams.
2) Nobody around me would know what the f*ck I was talking about.
3) I'm a cold, insensitive brute, unsuited to such intimate relationships.

I don't name my guitars, banjos, lutes, mandolins, synths, etc. I don't name my radios, AV gear, calculators, flashlights, etc. I do name my computers and drives and printers, to facilitate network management. I have named vehicles. My first housecar was SPUD because it looked like a potato hauler. An old Dodge station wagon was TOOTS because it was Tootsie-Roll colored. (I could have called it CACA, eh?) My old SUV's, a Ford Exploder and a Nissan Murano, are BIG BLUE and LI'L BLUE, because... well, because they're both blue, and one is bigger than the other.

I *do* refer to my digicams as CAM0, CAM1, CAM2 etc, at least in my image-moving software. But just wait. Time will pass. Needs will change. When we put Eye-Fi cards in all our digicams, each will be yet another network device. Cameras, like computers, will need unique names, in order to function in network environments. That doesn't necessarily mean that the names will make any sense. Oh no, let's not be sensible!

11-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Mabel gets nasty if you take a wrong turn.
Well, if she doesn't say "recalculating", then what DOES she say!
11-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kids named the GPS Claire, no names for cameras.
11-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My K-20 with the grip attached is lovingly known as the "Big Pig". When I attach my Sigma 135-400mm is becomes known as the "heavy bitch". No first names needed.
11-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Fleming. Some shots make me cough.
11-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Which one? Grin. Yeah, the ones I intend to keep almost all have names, and so does my car. My Ashai SPII is Queenie, my Honeywell SPII is Honey, my FRI is Fenris, my FX-2 is Freddy, the painted Ricoh is Pink, and my K-x is Kai because it came from over the sea. My latest the K1000 is Yuki. That's currently. The rest are not keeper cameras so they don't get names. Oh and the car is "Old Sport" after Errol Flynn (who used to call other guys he liked that a lot) cause it actually is a slightly older sports car, albeit IMHO a wanna be one, not the real deal because under the hood it's not much of one. It's a cherry red Ford Focus with sports detailing, a back fin and occasional delusions of grandeur...
11-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Well, if she doesn't say "recalculating", then what DOES she say!

I shut mine up by putting it on mute. I was sick of her telling me where to go when I always knew a better/shorter/faster way.
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Camera has no name... Sharing the name I have for my gps (satnav in the UK) will get me booted off the forum...
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never bothered naming my film cameras, but I call these newfangled digital things all kinds of names...