Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #1

K10D with Power Zoom Lens

Does anyone know what settings to use to get the Power Zoom functionsto work using a K10D and the FA power zoom lenses? Iím using the SMC FA 28 - 105 and 100 - 300mmlenses. I read an article that stated the lenses will operate two of the modesavailable. These 4 options / operations are supposed to be available when usedwith the K10D

1. Power Zoom
2. Lens Retraction
3. Zoom Clip Mode
4. Image Size Tracking Mode

Any helpwould be appreciated. Thanks - B

11-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The firmware of the camera has to be upgraded. The initial versions did not support Power Zoom and SDM lenses. You need version 1.30 or higher.

Last edited by Ole; 11-20-2011 at 12:56 PM.
11-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yep, after the upgrade regular power zoom and lens retraction will work.

And here's a link to the firmware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Original Poster

Thank you Ole and Adam for your quick responses, the firmware is 1.30, myold PZ1 had settings for these modes. I canít seem to get the K10 / or the lensto Zoom Clip (not to worried about size tracking) using the buttons on the sideof the barrel of these lenses.

B

11-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

Original Poster

PS the power zoom and retraction functions do work....
11-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
Pentax Lens Power Zoom here is the link to the article
11-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by BKSande Quote
Thank you Ole and Adam for your quick responses, the firmware is 1.30, myold PZ1 had settings for these modes. I can’t seem to get the K10 / or the lensto Zoom Clip (not to worried about size tracking) using the buttons on the sideof the barrel of these lenses.

B
Zoom clip will not work. Only zooming and lens retraction is supported.
11-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
Too bad, it was a great feature! I used it shooting sports and it help out tremendouslyby eliminating the need to hand zoom to the same scene over and over

11-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, unfortunately those features are gone from the digital bodies. At least they didn't forget about it completely, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #10

Original Poster

Agreed, I guess when we get the “new and improved” we have to leave somethings behind. As a side note I was checking the exposure of my K10 to myMinolta Spotmeter F and there was a world of difference in some instances,seems like the K10 is not as accurate as I thought it would be being it’s a newercamera. It almost makes you miss the old needle meter that was in the olderfilm cameras like the K1000. It was an awesome visual reference for exposures.