Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
While this thread does not provide an answer, it sure does provide fundamental insights into the relationship of people and knowledge.
I'll keep your crappy excuse for a thanks for trying in mind the next time you ask for help.

11-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its the SR
Why is the K20D silent whilst the K-7 makes noise? They use different SR.

Why can I still hear it even when the SR is turned off? Because its still actually on , holding the floating sensor still
11-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
It offers a clear answer to your first question and educated speculation as to the answer of the second. There is no need to be sour or condescending.
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
And into pomposity and ingratitude.
No guys, it is just frustration that when people don't know an answer they feel the need to make up one. I didn't ask for speculation, I asked if anyone knows the answer to a question. And knowing an answer is not the same as thinking you know the answer, trying to guess it, or coming up with one. Yes, it's amusing to keep a thread alive with speculation, but it's not what I was asking for.

And there was no answer to my question on what causes the noise in recent cameras (I asked a single question btw, not two - I just had to repeat it because it wasn't understood). There is just speculation that it is caused by SR. But why would SR be noisy in just this particular scenario is not explained by the speculation. Why would SR be silent in all other use scenarios, but start acting just during Live View? SR is certainly capable to be active for longer periods of time without making noise, so SR cannot be the answer. It can be part of the answer, but not a full answer.

Here are some facts:
- SR can be active without the noise being present - this suggests it's not just SR
- The noise does appear in scenarios where the mirror is being held up - this suggests the noise might be from some motor holding the mirror up

Why the K20D does not have the noise is what I'd like to understand. It could be that my friend had a sample with a silent motor - I'll have to ask him to check if he gets any noise if he raises the mirror up for the cleaning procedure - or it could just be that Pentax used a silent motor just in the K20D - this phrase is of course entering the realm of speculation.
11-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'll keep your crappy excuse for a thanks for trying in mind the next time you ask for help.
Thanks!

11-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Why can I still hear it even when the SR is turned off? Because its still actually on , holding the floating sensor still
Yes, but now try explaining why you cannot hear it when SR is on and active.
11-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everytime my mirror goes up, I can hear it, SR on or off.
11-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, but now try explaining why you cannot hear it when SR is on and active.
Perhaps it's your bad hearing.
Really, why are you asking a question that would best be answered by a camera designer on an internet forum and then getting pissy because you are getting laymans answers?

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-23-2011 at 03:33 PM.
11-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps it's your bad hearing.
Really, why are you asking a question that would best be answered by a camera designer on an internet forum and then getting pissy because you are getting laymans answers?
Just because you cannot help, it doesn't mean that there aren't other users that could.

Even if no one has the answer, I can still get useful information such as people confirming that their K20D doesn't make any noise or finding users whose K20D actually does make a noise.

If you know a better forum where Pentax engineers congregate to answer customer questions, please let me know what it is. Even if you don't want to help me anymore, you can still benefit other users by sharing such information. Is it such an out of place gesture to ask a question about Pentax cameras in the "Pentax DSLR Discussion" part of the leading Pentax discussion site on the planet?

Also, I am not "pissy". Although I would have all rights to be, if I decided to be so. I didn't make personal remarks about any of the posters that replied on this thread, I only commented about not getting an answer and about people presenting their speculations as truth. And for this I got back replies calling me sour, condescending, pompous, ingrate, and now "pissy". Interesting assortment of "educated" answers. Not surprising, just matter of fact stuff. Happens all the time. Excuse me for not being appreciative ... and for being a bit sarcastic in return.
11-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some (partially) plausible explanations.

Something generates a sound of a certain frequency in the camera; the volume is low and you can't actually hear it. However the camera is a resonation chamber that will amplify certain frequencies (resonance frequency as well as harmonics (multiples of the resonance frequency)). Volume of the chamber as well as materials will define the exact resonance frequency. If the frequency of the generated sound matches the resonance frequency of the chamber, the sound will be amplified to a level that is audible.

Live view versus normal use will change the volume of the chamber because the mirror is up (or not) and hence a different resonance frequency.
K20D versus K5 will also be a different resonance chamber and hence a different resonance frequency.

I agree with the others that it is the SR as it's the only part in the camera that is actually active all the time. But don't ask me how the sound is actually generated.
SR enabled versus SR disabled might or might not change the frequency of the generated sound; it depends on the symptoms that you get
11-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

IIRC, my K20D was "noisy" in LiveView. I could barely hear it, though.

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-25-2011 at 04:44 AM.
11-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #26
Pentaxian

It's the SR mechanism. And as far as I know all Pentax cameras with SR is sometimes silent and sometimes audible. So the K20 isn't always silent, and the K7 isn't always audible.

Focal length affects the SR (when SR is activated) and the sound emitted. Different play in the mechanism can cause different cameras to be more or less audible.
12-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
The difference I noticed was striking, not at all a matter of "now you hear it, now you don't". My friend and I have both been away last week but I'll check with him to see if his camera is also silent when the mirror is lifted up for cleaning.

SR makes no noise during regular use, so why would it make noise during LiveView? You can just press the shutter half way to activate the SR indicator in the viewfinder and listen to the camera while keeping SR activated - it's completely silent. Go into LiveView and you suddenly have the same noise that the camera makes when you lift the mirror up.

The noise the camera makes was the main reason I didn't warm up to the LiveView feature and I used it only sparingly - I always felt the camera is making some effort to sustain the feature and it may break at any point - I just didn't feel comfortable using it like that. So, obviously, I've been surprised to find that an older model that supposedly had an inferior implementation of LiveView, actually worked better.
12-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

SR makes no noise during regular use, so why would it make noise during LiveView? You can just press the shutter half way to activate the SR indicator in the viewfinder and listen to the camera while keeping SR activated - it's completely silent. Go into LiveView and you suddenly have the same noise that the camera makes when you lift the mirror up.
That's because the servo motors that lift/control the sensor plate (and cause the noise) isn't engaged (even though the SR icon is lit) until they are actually needed. And they are not needed when the shutter is closed. But when the shutter is open, they are engaged, even if SR is off, thus the sound can be heard during long exposures, video, live view or sensor cleaning.
12-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That's because the servo motors that lift/control the sensor plate (and cause the noise) isn't engaged (even though the SR icon is lit) until they are actually needed. And they are not needed when the shutter is closed. But when the shutter is open, they are engaged, even if SR is off, thus the sound can be heard during long exposures, video, live view or sensor cleaning.
Interesting - so what is the SR icon indicating then? That the system thinks it got the vibration rhythm and can keep up with it?

I just checked with my friend and with the lens removed from the body, he can hear a very slight sound when using LV or lifting the mirror up - the sound is hard to hear with a lens mounted on, unlike with the newer cameras. Strange that the K-7 lost whatever sound dampening the K20D had. I am wondering how the K-5 is - does it make the same sound as K-7/K-x or is it more silent in LV?
12-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both a K20D and a K-x - both sound the same in live view - some sort of "whirring" noise. Never noticed it before, but then I've never put my ear up to the camera before!!

And FWIW, both cameras sounded 'bout the same with SR off and in manual focus mode.