Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Switch D5100 to K-r?

Would I be disappointed in the K-r coming from a D5100? When I bought my Nikon I was on the fence trying to decide which camera to buy. There weren't any dealers around me who carry Pentax so I was kind of nervous about purchasing a camera I could not touch. Now I find myself really wanting IBSR and focus motor. I like my D5100 but never really use the video function. I don't know what but something keeps drawing me to the K-r...

11-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I switched from D5100 to K-x, but then my reasons were for the lens compatibility and cheaper cost of the deal I got. I didn't need the 1080p video, so D5100 was more than I needed. Plus the lenses with VR were expensive. So far yet no regrets. I know I can update to K-5 sometime which is same sensor as the D5100 but better IQ and still have all the goodness of the lenses I have and and can buy.
11-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
I switched from D5100 to K-x, but then my reasons were for the lens compatibility and cheaper cost of the deal I got. I didn't need the 1080p video, so D5100 was more than I needed. Plus the lenses with VR were expensive. So far yet no regrets. I know I can update to K-5 sometime which is same sensor as the D5100 but better IQ and still have all the goodness of the lenses I have and and can buy.
I don't use the video either so that's not a worry for me. How is the high ISO compared to the D5100 in real life photos. I had a Sigma 70-200 HSM II for about 2 months and got tired of not having OS. I just sold the Sigma and thought about buying the Sigma 17-50 OS for around $700, but then realized I could pick up a K-r and Tamron 17-50 for only a couple hundred more.
11-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The high iso performance isn't going to be quite as good as that of the K-5, but it's still not going to disappoint!
Pentax K-r - Review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, the sensor in K-r is a bit worse than the one in D5100. Also, the K-r does not have an articulating screen. But otherwise, it's indeed a great camera capable of almost anything. Plus, for example I love the Pentax ergonomics very much, a lot more than the Nikon's (but D7000 and up is fine) or Canon's (which for me is just horrible, 7D included). However, have in mind what lenses you want to buy, because in the end Pentax may be even more expensive than Nikon.

Last edited by freddykrueger; 11-22-2011 at 10:08 AM.
11-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by freddykrueger Quote
Plus, for example I love the Pentax ergonomy very much, a lot more than the Nikon's (but D7000 and up is fine) or Canon's (which for me is just horrible, 7D included).
Hate to be a grammar nazi but...ergonomy is not a word. The correct word is ergonomics.

Back on topic...When I bought my K-x it was down to the D5000 and the K-x. I went with the K-x mainly because of price and lens compatibility.

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-21-2011 at 03:47 PM.
11-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The correct word is ergonomics.
Easy for an English speaker.
Now, back to regular programming.

11-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're not the kind who likes the articulated screen, then you're just going to lose a few million pixels from the D5100 to the K-r, and better video. But that's not the issue anyway. You lose better metering and faster AF, that could be two. The focus motor is a good gain, along with the in-body SR (though the SR in the K-r isn't like astounding), and of course.... the ability to mount a hell lot of lenses.
11-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Both 5100 and KR are really good cameras and you will be pleased with both. My concern with Pentax is their fast standard zoom. They need to refresh it.

The sensor, metering, and all the rest are great on Pentax. The questions is what are you trying to do? A camera is like anything else. If it fits and you like it, then stick with it. I shoot large professional shows and concerts in very difficult light with my K200D and my KX and they work great. My competition shoot pro level CaNikon and they do fine too. Their photos aren't any better than mine especially for 1/6th - 1/3rd the price.

I'm amazed at how people on this site slam Pentax when Pentax has so much going for them.

This is how wonderfully Pentax works in really difficult RED light.

As a side note, this photo on the left was taken with my K200D and kit lens. I was under a waterfall getting soaked with the camera in that water for nearly an hour.

Last edited by john5100; 11-23-2011 at 08:17 AM.
11-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
You lose better metering
I don't know how the Nikon's metering is better, but I can say he'll gain the ability to meter with manual lenses, something the Nikon doesn't support.
11-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I don't know how the Nikon's metering is better, but I can say he'll gain the ability to meter with manual lenses, something the Nikon doesn't support.
For beginners like me, who are still learning how to use different types of exposure metering (and most are stuck with evaluative though I keep my K-x on center-weighed nowadays) it does quite help keeping away from blowing out images. If the photographer knows how to expose properly beyond the camera's metering system, then it doesn't become a loss. Never had problems with the K-x though.

and yes, I forgot the old lenses. Nikon doesn't support metering for their older lenses. Good point.
11-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The manual lens thing is cool. You have so many great older that are cheap and fun to use.
11-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
You lose better metering and faster AF, that could be two.
On the contrary, he will gain better metering and AF. AF on entry level Nikons simply sucks. Have you ever tried focusing in low light with a D40 or D80?
11-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #14

kr vs d5100

I have both. D5100 is better wrt image quality and high iso, autofocus speed and accuracy, flash usage is oustanding but KR is better, much better with user interface eg menu structure and can meter with manual lenses.

I prefer VR lenses - quiet, highly accurate and quick to focus compared to Pentax noisy focus motor.

D5100 has IR receivers front and back, KR only on front.

Video and LV usage is better on D5100, easier to focus with the LV on d5100.

The articulating screen is great - i'm getting shots I didnt bother with with the Pentax as I can now use the camera at e.g. ground level or point it at the sky at a sharp angle and not have to crouch like a hunchback behind the camera on a tripod.

Don't be taken in by the 'you can use all the old lenses on Pentax' story. This is no real advantage. None of the older lenses suit me - they are made to odd FL's - modern lenses are lighter as well. SR on Pentax is overrated compared to Nikon or Sigma built in VR systems.

KR has some known problems e.g. FF in tungsten light- look it up in this forum and at other sites. Haven't come across any endemic D5100 problems yet - better quality technical design shows. I still use the Pentax but am pleased I switched to Nikon - it offers the quality of the K5 sensor at a much more sensible price, a longer guarantee, a good service backup and I think an easier to sell second hand market. If you are not invested in Pentax glass, consider the long term benefits of the bigger sensor in the D5100 - I love the detail I can capture with it.
11-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
On the contrary, he will gain better metering and AF. AF on entry level Nikons simply sucks. Have you ever tried focusing in low light with a D40 or D80?
Haven't used a D80 yet, but I've used my friend's D5100, and it does focus faster than my K-x in low light (or at least in that occasion where I used it - a bit past sunset). Was stuck with an FA 100-300 that time, so I borrowed the D5100 for a while which had a fast fifty on it. Not sure if the lens affects AF speed with those lenses...

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
If you are not invested in Pentax glass, consider the long term benefits of the bigger sensor in the D5100 - I love the detail I can capture with it.
I think they are both (D5100 and K-r) APS-C cameras... the Nikon just has more MP in it~