Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello, and Help!

Hi there, I have just joined the forum, and hope someone may be able to help me. I have owned a K100D for several years, and taken many great shots with it. My son is doing an Astronomy course, and for one of his assignments he wants to take star trail photos. I rigged up the camera with an external shutter switch and to start with everything was ok. But now the B mode on the camera just does not work any more - as far as I can see it is still shooting fine in other modes, but when I select B, it seems to behave as if it is set to the normal manual exposure mode - it shows both aperture AND shutter speed!
Anyone else seen anything like this? I would be glad to hear if so (I have tried the obvious things, like removing batteries, and replacing with fresh).
Thanks.

11-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

What shutter speed does it show? Does it show a shutter speed only when hooked up to the external shutter switch, or all the time? What external shutter switch are you using? Are you sure it is Pentax-compatible?
11-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi MPrince, thanks for the reply. It shows a shutter speed whether the external switch is connected or not. The weird thing is that the camera was working in this mode fine only this morning, but now it seems to not have a B mode any more - the rear screen shows "Manual Exposure", the same as for the M mode! I was wondering if I ought to try to re-install the firmware (my camera is still v1.0) - maybe something has got screwed up somewhere....
11-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First welcome!

Just a remote chance -
in "B"ulb mode the shutter only stays open as long as the shutter button or external shutter release is held -
could this possibly be it?

11-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, but the problem is that when the shutter release (either on the camera or the infrared remote, or the external switch) is held in, the shutter just activates for the time shown in the viewfinder - as if it was in manual mode. The B mode seems to have vanished!
11-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Have you tried the resets, and removing the batteries? Also, try to reset the mode dial to B, maybe by spinning it all the way around. Take the lens off and re-install...

I'm guessing...

Don't panic though, some of the experts will figure this out for you in short order...

Bill
11-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I haven't tried taking the lens off yet, and can you explain what you mean by "the resets". I have certainly tried spinning the dial and the batteries have been removed long enough so that the date/time needs to be reset.
11-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colnhaze Quote
Thanks. I haven't tried taking the lens off yet, and can you explain what you mean by "the resets". I have certainly tried spinning the dial and the batteries have been removed long enough so that the date/time needs to be reset.
Somewhere in the menu is an option to reset all camera settings to their default values. Doing so may solve the problem (or not) but if you do this, you'll have to go back and put the settings where you want them.

Another thing to try is remove the lens and make sure the contacts on both lens and body are clean. I would try that before doing a reset.

11-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colnhaze Quote
Yes, on my k7 there is an overall reset and a custom or user function reset. Don't know if they will help, but you might try them. Some of the firmware updates reference the stability of the camera, so I'm not sure but resetting could give the device a starting point for obscure issues... Just a guess though...

Good luck