Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
curious about sensor temperature

It's a bit of a pain that the cam switches off liveview after x amount of time, which I believe is temperature related and governed internally programatically. Just for my knowledge, since I've noticed that this happens both when using HDMI out (which switches the on-cam screen off) and without a monitor (ie leaving the on-cam screen on), am I right in supposing that there's really no bodge way of switching this off or making it last a little longer without it overheating - since it's just sensor temperature and unrelated to heat put out by the on-cam screen?

Ta

11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
It's a bit of a pain that the cam switches off liveview after x amount of time, which I believe is temperature related and governed internally programatically. Just for my knowledge, since I've noticed that this happens both when using HDMI out (which switches the on-cam screen off) and without a monitor (ie leaving the on-cam screen on), am I right in supposing that there's really no bodge way of switching this off or making it last a little longer without it overheating - since it's just sensor temperature and unrelated to heat put out by the on-cam screen?

Ta
Are you sure it is time or really temperature? Given the wide operating range of operating temperature a temperature related shut down wouuld make more sense
11-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes I believe it's temperature triggered, although there does seem to be some randomness about it. Ie sometimes the LV stops after a few seconds and then when I switch it back on it lasts for a few minutes... Annoyingle erratic.
11-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I believe it's temperature triggered, although there does seem to be some randomness about it. Ie sometimes the LV stops after a few seconds and then when I switch it back on it lasts for a few minutes... Annoyingle erratic.
That does not sound temperature related; I doubt that the sensor will cool down enough in a short period of time (assuming you more-or-less immediately switch it back on).

11-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a vague memory that sensor temperature is shown in the full exif? That might cast some light on it. (Edit: no pun intended :P)
11-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Temperature can be found in the exif of jpg at least. I think it is time related, but I'm not shure. The hottest working temperature I had with K-5 was 42 degrees of celsius, working for a hot afternoon sitting in the sun with my gear. No use of movie or liveview, but I guess it would have told me that it is hot outside.
11-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah it's a bit of a weird one, the LV durations seem a bit random. RonHendriks do you get the same or is it a K7 thing?
11-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah it's a bit of a weird one, the LV durations seem a bit random. RonHendriks do you get the same or is it a K7 thing?
This was with K-5.

Just looked in the manual and there it is: Liveview is activated for a max of 5 minutes after that you can press the button again and have liveview activated for the next 5 minutes. So it has nothing to do with temperature (in K-5).

11-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I checked my k7 manual and it's the same, up to 5 minutes. There's the rub though because "up to 5 minutes" can mean anything from a few seconds to a solid 5 minutes... Which is what seems to happen, it's pretty random