Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #1

K-x Battery and Firmware Upgrade Issues

I just started having battery issues with my K-x camera. The camera constantly gives me a "batteries depleted" message even though I have installed fresh batteries. I understand this might be corrected with a firmware update, so I downloaded the bin file, placed it on my sd card but now the camera will not turn on at all so I can install the upgrade! What the heck is going on here???

I really do not want to pay $100 for an ac adapter kit, just to install the firmware upgrade! Arrgh! It's so frustrating!!

Any suggestions out there??

Thanks in advance!

Mary

11-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might want to check you don't have the 1.01 or later already (hold down MENU-button when powering up and you should get a display with the currently installed version). If you need to go ahead with the FW upgrade you consider getting a set of disposeable lithium batteries or at least use a freshly charged set of good/fresh NiMHs: running out of battery power while upgrading could wreck the camera. As for the NiMHs the consensus here seems to be that the K-x is picky about its batteries even with FW 1.01 and later, but Sanyo Eneloops work very well; since nothing apparenty works better and most other brands/types seem to give people grief these are very higly recommended.
11-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi jolepp...thanks for your reply. I just installed a fresh set of lithium batteries, but my camera will not turn on at all right now! If I replace the new lithiums with regular batteries, it will randomly turn on (or not)...and when it does it says "battery depleted". I've had the camera for awhile now and this just started happening yesterday.

I keep turning it off and on in hopes that the camera power on and recognize the new batteries, but so far no luck....

Any other suggestions - or should I just bite the bullet and buy the last remaining ac adapter for $100? The thought of that makes me a little ill....
11-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Even if the indicator says the batteries are dead the camera should not die that fast. Are the contacts clean?
I would not recommend trying to upgrade the firmware if you see the camera is dying all of a sudden. If the camera is turn off while you are upgrading it may be ruined.

11-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
An update to my continuing saga.....

After reading your comment regarding the K-x's finicky nature towards it's batteries, I removed the new lithiums and installed fresh Rayovac alkalines. Lo and behold the camera booted up and gave me the fully-charged green battery status and I was able to update my firmware to vs. 1.01.

After completing the update, I verified it was now running vs. 1.01. I removed the fresh alkalines, reinstalled my old "barely used" alkalines, held my breath and turned my camera on. It gave me the "yellow" battery indicator - which I could live with. Feeling renewed and optimistic, I removed these batteries and reinstalled the new Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries just to make sure everything was ok. Alas....it appears the K-x doesn't like this brand or something. No power - no nothing.

So, I replaced these with the former "barely used" alkalines, powered the camera on which quickly gave me a "red" battery level ??? Not willing to challenge the camera anymore, I took these out and reinstalled the "new" Rayovac alkalines, held my breath.....and voila! I got the go ahead "green" signal at the next power up (yay).

So it appears for now the K-x doesn't like the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries, but for now is ok with the Rayovac alkalines. I shoot as many pics as I can to see how long these batteries last and hope that the firmware upgrade fixed whatever was troubling it. I'll probably take your suggestion and invest in the Sanyo Eneloops if that's what everyone else has been successful with, although I may try another set of lithium batteries (not the "ultimates).

Thanks again for your reponse....I'll come back and confirm if the firmware upgrade has indeed fixed my battery issues.
11-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is starting to sound as if there was a problem with the physical connection between the camera and batteries. Cleaning the contacts might help, but if not it could also be that an internal electrical connection is not in shape. Attempting the firmware upgrade could indeed ruin the camera if power is cut in the middle of it so I would not proceed with that until this is resolved. Unfortunately, if cleaning the battery contacs does not restore steady operation with the fresh set of lithiums it would seem that the camera needs professional (warranty?) service.
11-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh, I see you found a way around the battery trouble as far as the FW upgrade goes.

1.01 (or later) FW should help with battery issues, and people seem to be very happy with Eneloops (worked very well for me too ). I have been under the impression that disposable (Energizer) lithium batteries have been highly regarded as well, the only problem with them being disposable, that is, not rechargeable. Very strange that they did not work for you: my understanding has been that their higher native voltage would have made them trouble free even with FW 1.0. BTW if you are going to use Eneloops (or other NiMHs) you might as well use the menu setting that lets the camera know that it has them. (With the default (AUTO), the camera tries to figure out whether it has those or not and might get it wrong ... in relation to that there was - I would seem to recall - a suggestion that after replacing the batteries one should let the camera sit for half a minute or so before turning it on to help the autodetection to figure it out ...).
11-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a couple of sets of the Energizer rechargeable batteries and my K-x seems to like them just fine, but it didn't like the other high charge rechargeable batteries I had nor the lithium ones I got for using in an emergency. I don't have the Eneloops yet but I'm seriously thinking about it as it seems those are the fail safe choice for most Pentax DSLR's. Clean the contacts and try a set of those. If that doesn't solve you're problem you might need to get the camera serviced.

11-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I use Eneloops in my K-x and I have used, and still keep a set of Enegizer Ultimate Lithiums on hand. All these work fine in my camera. Btw, I have two sets of 4 on the Eneloops.
11-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

With the K-x regular alkaline batteries have a dubious reputation (as in getting pitifully few shots per set, I'd recall). AFAIK the Energizer lithiums are supposed to be the best, longest lasting sort money can buy. Could it be that you have gotten a bad set? As the cells are connected in series the set is as good as the weakest cell and so even one faulty cell could explain why the lithiums did not work for you.
11-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
And are the lithiums you're using fresh? If not, that might be the problem. If I were you I'd buy a new set of energizer lithiums, try them, and if the battery indicator is still wrong be sure to check that you have auto detection of batteries in menu activated. If not, it might be the problem. If nothing helps, it is almost certain that there's a problem with either the wires that connect battery contacts with body or the chip that handles battery status.
11-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The last set of Energizer Ultimates I used in my K-x I got over 1500 shots out of them and over 1800 in my K-m now I use the Rayovac pre-charged and they work great
11-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

+1 on the eneloop and you can also try Powerex which I found as good as the eneloop.