Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Peter,
Just so you know I'm basing it on one of your ideas, from one of my posts a couple of weeks ago
QuoteQuote:
Great shots as usual Stu. I really like the 1st one and the second is very good as well. But that frozen fountain is great. As for the bridge shot. it's a tough exposure. Bright sky, bright A snow and dark trees, dark ironwork. A few things come to mind. Shoot this earlier or later in the day with the sun behind you as much as possible to highlight the bridge. If that doesn't work then shoot multiple exposures in camera and see if you can bring out the bridge/trees more without burning the sky/snow. or shooot multiple shots with the intention of an HDR final.

A little off the wall but...You could go down there after sunset and set up the camera on a tripod as well and take a timed exposure. Then take a flash and light up parts of the bridge with some directed bursts. I've been looking for an abandoned bridge or similar structure to try this. haven't found anything yet for the shot. But thought it might be cool to have a dark sky and leave the camera on bulb and use the flash to highlight parts of the structure.
found in 3 winter landscapes :)

So you can sure take partial credit towards it.

12-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was being cheeky. But I did this sort of, once with my LX but like a novice fool, I sold the work and don't have a copy. I had a Sunpak Flash that had several coloured gels and set the camera up in bulb in front of an old abandoned barn I scoped out in day light. After dark I took the flash and fired it with the test button using the different colours. Fired it behind cracks in the walls and broken widows etc. Then a couple of flashes outside. Looked pretty good and very surreal.
12-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I'm ready for this shot I think that I'll be hiking in a step ladder on a set of skies, and mounting the ladder on the skies plus the light on the ladder
This should get the light high enough, and keep it steady enough.
It shouldn't be all that hard to pull behind me, and it's a nice flat snowed in road most of the way.

I'll also bring along several different coloured plastic bags, and see if one colour looks more realistic than the rest.