Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Open Shutter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi All,

Is it possible for a K10d to be shot with an open shutter, for example an hour long exposure of the night sky? I didn't see a setting for this and unsure if a remote shutter release would allow this as with a standard manual film camera like the former K-1000

Thanks
David

12-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Use the B, bulb, setting, it will stay open as long as the button, either on the camera or your remote, is held down.
12-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You Travis. It looks like I'll need to get a remote control then.

- David
12-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That''s right attach a cabled shutter release cord to the camera and use the bulb setting. The cable releases lock and will hold the shutter open as long as the batteries hold a charge. There are some very cheap ones on Ebay for around $10-12 I've had one for about a year with no problems.

12-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Does the cordless remote control do the same thing? Can you electronically lock the shutter open without a cable?

Thanks,
David
12-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruemiser Quote
Does the cordless remote control do the same thing? Can you electronically lock the shutter open without a cable?

Thanks,
David
If you buy the Pentax Remote F, it will support Bulb mode. Some of the third party remotes do not support bulb mode. I don't know how much battery life you will get out of the remote, however. It is rated for 30,000 shots, but that assumes momentary presses of the button, not long bulb exposures. Also, the remote does not lock on. You would have to hold the button yourself (or put a brick on it) for your 1 hour exposure.

For long exposures, the locking cable is the way to go.
12-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Where do you plug the locking cable in?

12-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruemiser Quote
Where do you plug the locking cable in?
Inside the door on the left side of the camera. It's the top connection.
12-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry. Found it. I was looking in the wrong place
12-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The regular wireless ones don't lock. I just ordered one of these. Wireless Shutter Release for Canon EOS 350D RS-60E3 R7D - (eBay item 200184262645 end time Dec-20-07 20:53:46 PST) Works like a standard wired remote, but gives more range, and will hold as long as it's batteries last. Still waiting for it to arrive, so I haven't tried it yet, but someone else here has used one and liked it.
12-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here's a related question, that someone might be able to answer.
Is there any locking cable with a timer

The reason why I'm asking is there's an OLD abandoned train bridge here, and I'd like to set up my camera on the ground.
Trigger a 5 minute timer, which I need to reach the other side safely.
And cross the bridge with a BIG spotlight, hopefully making it look like a ghost train crossed at night.

It's too far of a distance for most wireless remotes, plus I'd rather not have to fumble with another object.
12-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Here's a related question, that someone might be able to answer.
Is there any locking cable with a timer

The reason why I'm asking is there's an OLD abandoned train bridge here, and I'd like to set up my camera on the ground.
Trigger a 5 minute timer, which I need to reach the other side safely.
And cross the bridge with a BIG spotlight, hopefully making it look like a ghost train crossed at night.

It's too far of a distance for most wireless remotes, plus I'd rather not have to fumble with another object.
do you really need the timer?

I guess it depends upon whether you can get to the other side without a light.

How about a partner? If you have help, you run the camera and use FRS radios to communicate. They cover 2 miles line of sight.
12-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe this? Timer Remote for Canon Rebel XTI XT 350D 400D 300D R8A - (eBay item 200184269468 end time Dec-18-07 21:28:25 PST)
12-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

That might be just the ticket.
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
do you really need the timer?

I guess it depends upon whether you can get to the other side without a light.

How about a partner? If you have help, you run the camera and use FRS radios to communicate. They cover 2 miles line of sight.
I'd love to just have a friend help me, but it's a long hike in the winter.
So it's a little tough asking a friend to help with it.
I could drive right up in the summer, but wouldn't quite have the same effect without the snow.
12-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Stu, I bookmarked this for a future purchase as I read in another post that this remote will work fine and the seller also lists the K series bodies. Timer Remote Cord for Pentax K10D K110D K100D K10 Cs205 - (eBay item 230185784846 end time Dec-26-07 03:01:08 PST)
I think it's the same remote but he charges less for it. The other one must be a Canon L series Lol.

You face a few challenges with the idea although I like it. Getting the light high enough to be realistic. Keeping it straight and level as you move through the bridge. I'll be interested to see how you do with this. If there was a cable from the front to the exit point you could move the light on a pulley.

Wish I had thought of this idea