Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New body - Bulb connections

One of the things I really like about my *ist-DL is that it has an actual bulb connection. I built a remote for it using a Kodak slide projector remote (advance for tripping the release and back for focus). Works like a charm, no batteries and easy to extend.

I'm thinking of getting a new body but none of the new bodies seem to have a bulb connection. Other than the wireless remote, is there any other way to trip the shutter?

11-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think "bulb connection" is the normal term for it, but at least the K10, K20 and K5 all have such a connector. I'm not sure what the plug is called, but a smaller version of the most common headphone connector. Probably the same as on your DL. I think "wired remote" might be a better term to google.
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

On my K20D that control jack is called the Cable Switch Connector, not bulb connection; it is not related to the X-Sync Socket for external flash|bulb connexions. The commonly- and cheaply-available wired remote controls use a stereo 2.5mm 'submini' plug. Pentax calls their wired remote the Cable Switch CS-205; any cheap-o from eBay should work, or you can find many plans online for building your own. Have fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 11-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cable Switch CS-205 is the Pentax one. Cheaper version probably on ebay.

It's nowadays just a `simple` switch; you can find schematics on the web. The plug is a 2.5mm stereo jack.

11-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Yes, it is a wired switch connection, not a "bulb connection". My bad and I blame lack of sleep.

The question still stands. What new bodies have the connection? Thanks to RioRico, I now know the K20D does, but short of stepping up to a K-7 or K-5, both of which are WAY out of my price range at this time, what are other bodies are available with the wired switch connection? K-R, K-M, K-X, K200D?

The primary goals for my upgrade is shake reduction using my Tamron 70-300 at max reach and larger images (more mpix). It's like the old days of shooting competitions and trying to control your breathing when reaching out at 300mm for a small bird, plane or boat. And larger images will give me a little more ability to crop down to those smaller images.

Thanks.
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The specifications in the camera comparison secion here might mention which have these connexions. I know that the Kx and Kr don't. But all these cameras work with wireless remotes, which are pretty cheap.
11-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K200D does offer the connection (and of course wireless infrared, too). The specifications in the camera comparison secion here do not mention it. Maybe interfaces should be added.

11-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The K200D does offer the connection (and of course wireless infrared, too). The specifications in the camera comparison secion here do not mention it. Maybe interfaces should be added.
You're right. I was in a hurry and didn't check the COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS links on cameras there. Yes, we need info on interfaces and remote options for each camera.
11-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickrea Quote
The question still stands. What new bodies have the connection? Thanks to RioRico, I now know the K20D does, but short of stepping up to a K-7 or K-5, both of which are WAY out of my price range at this time, what are other bodies are available with the wired switch connection? K-R, K-M, K-X, K200D?
All top models have it (K10D, K20D, K7, K5). For the entry levels, I think that the turning point was the K2000. Before that model, K100D and K200D have it; after that model (K-x, K-r) don't have it. If I'm not mistaken, the K2000 does not have it, but I might be wrong there.

You can download the manuals and check them out; I have most manuals on my PC but the K2000 is missing.