Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

What in camera settings?

This thread got me wondering...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/165721-me-my-camera.html

Just as the title says what camera settings do you use with regards to vivid vs flat. What about sharpness contrast and saturation? Do you leave them in the middle? All boosted?

Just curious what everyone is using and what particular reason (I figure "it looks better" is a good reason.

11-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I leave it on the "natural" setting, and generally keep all other corrections turned off. I've found I get better results making corrections and removing noise in post. I use Adobe Camera Raw/old version of Photoshop for that.
11-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I shoot RAW-only. I leave the JPG setting on my K20D at Vivid, with modified contrast (depending on atmospheric clarity) and boosted sharpness. These setting carry-over as defaults into the RAW developer, and I tweak them as desired. I almost always need to adjust WB -- every digicam I've had handles AWB badly. I adjust saturation, hue etc to what looks good to me.

I have a general rule for digital photography: NAIL THE FOCUS. EVERYTHING ELSE CAN BE FIXED IN PP.
11-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Shoot RAW, but leave JPG settings on natural and no boosted contrast or sharpness. This way you get the best chance of having a histogram on the back of your camera that is a useful indicator for your RAW. Go futzing with these settings and they will skew your histogram which is extremely important for judging exposure.