Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

blank frames on K20D

Out on a shoot yesterday and my camera started to return blank frames. Monitor black but showing normal aperture and shutter speeds when reviewing. I was using the AF540 flash connected by pentax cable. I tried all the flash modes, put the flash directly on the camera but success. Luckily it came good again with a few odd intermittent blank frames just to annoy me. Anyone got any clues on what happened? I had the vertical grip and two fully charged batteries. If this continues I'm afraid I will be leaving Pentax for good.

11-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The intermittent frames might suggest that the flash wasn't putting out enough power, but unless you're trying to shoot something far away at night that should almost never be the case...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly that flash was charging at the time that the blank frame ocures? There is a setting that prevents the camera from taking pictures while the flash is charging; default is to prevent it but you might have changed it on purpose. I did that as well and sometimes the result is indeed severely underexposed images because the camera takes the shot while the flash does not fire (or barely fires).

Time to change batteries
11-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention it was daytime and the flash was only used for fill. Data on back was showing 1/90 and f4.5 so I should have been seeing something. I hope I can get to the bottom of it as it is a great camera otherwise. As I am doing more and more fashion stuff I am tempted to change to Canikon but dread the expense.

Last edited by bessa66; 11-29-2011 at 09:16 PM.