Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I want for Christmas Is...

Dear Santa (A.K.A. pentax software team)

As I have been relatively good all year I would really like a K10D software upgrade.

It should include the following.

1. new green button functions
a, press the button and get meter reading only with no change in setting
b, press the buttin and the metering works out change in F stops so that P-TTL flash can work with K mount lenses,

2. correction for focal length with a teleconverter installed

3. the ability to have a small lens database, with exposure correction vs stop included

4, the ability to enter maximum and minimum apature on K mount lenses so that automatic modes can work with K mount lenses, and P-TTL flash can work with K mount lenses. (note the apature activation movement must be changed to compensate for K mount being linear with diameter not area)

5. the ability to change file name prefixes so that multiple camera users can keep file names unique.

6. ISO, white balance saturation, contrast and sharpness independant for each operating mode

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 12-18-2007 at 02:58 PM.
12-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the ability to have a small lens database, with exposure correction vs stop included
Wow, that's a great idea for old lenses, too. Many seem to consistently under/over-expose. Assuming there is a consistent EV compensation among copies of a given lens at a given aperture, I can't imagine that would take much R&D money.

Hey Pentax, send me one of every lens you've ever made, and I'll do it for free!
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Wow, that's a great idea for old lenses, too. Many seem to consistently under/over-expose. Assuming there is a consistent EV compensation among copies of a given lens at a given aperture, I can't imagine that would take much R&D money.

Hey Pentax, send me one of every lens you've ever made, and I'll do it for free!
I was thinking you could enter it yourself as a user, assuming you had "calibrated" the exposure of each lens using a photo editor.

I echo your sentiment, send me all the lenses and I would also gladly do it.
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, yes, please. This would be my #1.

Will

12-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Dear Santa (A.K.A. pentax software team)

As I have been relatively good all year I would really like a K10D software upgrade. (snip)

So, if Santa doesn't deliver those things by Christmas, it must be because you haven't been all that good this year. There it is everybody. If there is no firmware update, we can all blame Lowell and his then obvious bad behavior.

stewart
12-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
So, if Santa doesn't deliver those things by Christmas, it must be because you haven't been all that good this year. There it is everybody. If there is no firmware update, we can all blame Lowell and his then obvious bad behavior.

stewart
Stewart

I have asked pentax for this so many times I think I am on the spam list, why not try santa
12-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have another item to add, based upon another posting.

Add a function to allow control of shutter interlock with focus confirmation. It was there on my PZ-1, and *istD, so why not on the K10D?

the list is now as follows
1. new green button functions
a, press the button and get meter reading only with no change in setting
b, press the buttin and the metering works out change in F stops so that P-TTL flash can work with K mount lenses,

3. the ability to have a small lens database, with exposure correction vs stop included

4, the ability to enter maximum and minimum apature on K mount lenses so that automatic modes can work with K mount lenses, and P-TTL flash can work with K mount lenses. (note the apature activation movement must be changed to compensate for K mount being linear with diameter not area)

5. the ability to change file name prefixes so that multiple camera users can keep file names unique.

6. ISO, white balance saturation, contrast and sharpness independant for each operating mode

7. Add a function to allow control of shutter interlock with focus confirmation.
12-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In case you need some more ideas to ask Santa for, here they are:

- A 2nd bulb mode where the first press of the release button opens the shutter, which then remains open until you press it again (or the battery runs out).

- As a complement to the above, the ability to set exposures longer than 30s. How about 30hrs? I don't care if you can't do this through the e-dial and have to go to a special menu.

- The ability to customize focusing for each lens (this would go hand-in-hand with your wish #3) to solve back/front focusing issues with some lenses.

- Make the multi-exposure function a lot stickier. Even a little bit sticky would be nice. Sometimes I set it, look the other way, and when I look back it's turned off!

12-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Since this is my thread, I will act as editor, no offence intended

QuoteQuote:
- A 2nd bulb mode where the first press of the release button opens the shutter, which then remains open until you press it again (or the battery runs out).
I like this. Seems simple enough, but I think the end shoud terminate with low battery indicator to avoid screwing up the file. Not sure if there are any other technical limits, but I suspect noise may dominate. Also note, that is what the lock on a cable release is for.
QuoteQuote:
- As a complement to the above, the ability to set exposures longer than 30s. How about 30hrs? I don't care if you can't do this through the e-dial and have to go to a special menu.
See above, specifically that is what the lock on a cable release is for.
QuoteQuote:
- The ability to customize focusing for each lens (this would go hand-in-hand with your wish #3) to solve back/front focusing issues with some lenses.
Perhaps. Someone also once commented, bracketing with each exposure sensor as a focus point, or some form of focus bracketing within the range of front to back between sensor ranges.
QuoteQuote:
- Make the multi-exposure function a lot stickier. Even a little bit sticky would be nice. Sometimes I set it, look the other way, and when I look back it's turned off!
Not so sure aboout this one, It may just be a simple issue of being able to change the set and reset buttons. As with exposure lock this may be a finger problem
12-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

7. Add a function to allow control of shutter interlock with focus confirmation.
[Menu]
[Customer Settings]
[AF by Press Halfway] OFF
12-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Since this is my thread, I will act as editor, no offence intended
None taken!

I know what the release cable is for, I would just like to not have to use it (and save the money I spent for something else). It's a throwback to the old, analogue days of photography. In this age of digital bodies there is no need for a cable release, but there is still a need for a wireless remote. Which, by the way, could take the place of the cable if my idea of 1st press opens shutter, 2nd press closes it, is implemented.

I know Pentax isn't going to add this to the K20D, let alone the K10D firmware, but it needs to be said nonetheless.
12-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think we have a better chance at getting world peace.
12-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
None taken!

I know what the release cable is for, I would just like to not have to use it (and save the money I spent for something else). It's a throwback to the old, analogue days of photography. In this age of digital bodies there is no need for a cable release, but there is still a need for a wireless remote. Which, by the way, could take the place of the cable if my idea of 1st press opens shutter, 2nd press closes it, is implemented.

I know Pentax isn't going to add this to the K20D, let alone the K10D firmware, but it needs to be said nonetheless.
I have both a cable and wireless release and use them differently. Wireless is when I really am intending to be far away form the camera (usually in front) but I do use the cable release on the tripod. I agree, in reality you only need the wireless, but some times you may want to insure no one else can trigger your camera. It is something like having your flash (by accident) on slave mode) only to find it not ready when you want because someone else triggered it.

Re change, Why won't they change? My view is that I will keep hounding them for changes on the K10D (or my *istD) if they are possible and practical within the software. Why wouldn't they want to demonstrate they listen to us users.
12-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

How about a way to preset EXIF data fields such as creator, copyright holder, etc? Maybe loaded thru the SD card...