Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Pentax 18-35 lens

I recently purchased a used Pentax 18-35 F4-5.6 SMC FAJ AL lens for my Pentax K10D camera. The shots do not seem to be wide angle. Is this a film camera lens or do I have to shoot at a particular setting?

11-29-2011, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The mm's are are the same no matter what the lens is designed for, they just get "cropped" by the aps-c sensor. Take the width times x1,6 and you'll get what your shots it equals on a film camera.
11-29-2011, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The mm's are are the same no matter what the lens is designed for, they just get "cropped" by the aps-c sensor. Take the width times x1,6 and you'll get what your shots it equals on a film camera.
On Pentax that would be 1.5, not 1.6.

The field of view of the FA J 18-35 on APS-C is equivalent to 28mm-50mm on 35mm film.
11-29-2011, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Quite right, except that the format-faktor for our APS-C sensors is closer to 1.5x. An 18mm lens on an APS-C (half-frame or HF) camera has the same FOV (field-of-view) as a 27mm lens on a 135/FF (full-frame) camera; and a 35mm lens on HF is FOV-equivalent to 52.5mm on FF.

So if you're used to thinking in 135/FF terms, the 18-35 is roughly equivalent to 28-50. This is in FOV terms only; DOF is still different. I hope this isn't too confusing!

EDIT: Oops, Boris beat me to it.

11-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ooops, of course it should be 1.5.
11-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Okay. I had to take a moment for my head to stop spinning. I have some grip on the difference in FOV between film and digital. The issue I have is that the photos that I've taken look nothing like the example "with" and "without" the 18-35 lens photos I see on the web to illustrate the lenses wide angle effect.
11-29-2011, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
kfwils: The question then is were the sample photos take on film (full frame) or APS-C (half frame).

Lord, I don't want to get into a semantics and wording war here with "crop factor" or other various terms here, but the magnification doesn't change, just the amount of the scene you get on APS-C vs film receptors. So the field of view equivs change, but the "zoom" doesn't change. So, if the shots were taken on film, and you're comparing your APS-C shots to those, you're going to get a narrower view of the same distance.

11-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
18-35 lens

I think I'm catching on. A photo taken with a full frame camera with a 18-35 lens would look quite different from the same shot taken with a APS-C camera using the same lens?
11-29-2011, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kfwils Quote
I think I'm catching on. A photo taken with a full frame camera with a 18-35 lens would look quite different from the same shot taken with a APS-C camera using the same lens?
The APS-C photo would look like you took the full frame photo and cut away the outer edges all around, leaving only the center 2/3 of the picture. That's why the "magnification" is the same and yet what you see isn't as wide. (Nor as tall, but nobody ever gripes about that, oddly enough).
11-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
That's exactly what I see. The outer edges appear cropped. Thanks a lot for all of the responses to my inquiry. I took a trip to Wikipedia to further enlighten myself on these technical differences. I understand that a full frame camera is well suited for a wide angle lens and the APS-C is well suited for the telephoto lens with the smaller sensor.
11-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The effect is less drastic with longer focal lengths for the simple reason that when you think of it in terms of how many degrees the field of view covers, 1/3 of a small number is less than 1/3 of a large number.

Imagine a 180 degree field....you lose 30 degrees off each side.

Imagine a 6 degree field....you lose 1 degree off each side.
11-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Back in the day (circa 1975) I had an Olympus Pen-FT, a half-frame (HF) 35mm film SLR with an internal porroprism (like in binoculars) and a vertical (portrait mode) film frame. It was very much like using an APS-C dSLR turned on its side for portrait-mode shooting, but smaller, lighter, kewler. And I had a full-frame (FF) T-mount Spiratone 400/6.3 long lens with an adapter. And I thought, OH BOY IT'S LIKE A 600MM LENS! And I quickly learned that it wasn't -- it was just a 400mm lens with 1/4 clipped off from each side. That was how the smaller frame cropped the image.

To see what format.faktor does, try this: Cut a picture from a magazine. Cut a 45x60mm rectangle. That's about the size of a 645 frame. Centered in that, draw a 24x36mm rectangle. That's the size of a 135/FF frame. Centered in that, draw an 18x24mm rectangle. That's about the size of a 135/FF | APS-C frame. Now look at the picture. The picture hasn't changed. But every smaller frame sees less of it. That's how crop-sensors work. The lens projects the same image; different frames see different amounts of the projected image. That's all there is.

Old-timers here know that I despise the terms crap.factor and equivalence, and think that the marketing wonks who thought-up those terms should be painfully executed. But I'm not bitter.
11-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even on aps-c 18mm is pretty wide, but obviously not as wide as on film.

77-45 degrees vs 100-63 degrees on film

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: