Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New member w/ questions

Hi Sean.
If cutler went out of business the cutler store here in Lancaster (Park city) doens't know about it. (Or aren't saying anything about it when I ask) I know Horsesham is the home office and store and they are still open. I was there about 2 months ago.. But I didn't know they left DE. Man that s***s. I was thinking when the K10D comes out I could pick it up tax free in DE. It would save about $90 on the price of the camera.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 09-25-2006 at 02:21 AM.
09-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Right now I have a set of crv3s in my k100 and 8 lithiums ready for backup. At some point in time, I will probably get a charger that charges 4 batteries at a time. Then, I will probably use one set of nimhs, have another set of nimhs as backup, backed up with a set of lithiums.
I think it makes little sense to keep NiMH as a backup. Keep set of CRV-3 or Lithium AAs for a backup and always use freshly charged NiMH. Probably you will never need your backups batteries. At least I never used them because I have never taken more than 200 pictures in a day

In my opinion possibility to use AA batteries is great for travelling, often it is a problem to charge your stuff (a couple of mobile phones, camera, camcorder... oops, not enough power sockets!)
09-25-2006, 04:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I think it makes little sense to keep NiMH as a backup. Keep set of CRV-3 or Lithium AAs for a backup and always use freshly charged NiMH.
Well, I shoot a lot when I do shoot, but you're probably right, nimhs as a backup is not logical. Actually I probably won't use nimhs at all, I only mentioned the possibility of using them because I have so many.

But I still have my sony h1, and a portable storage device that uses nimhs, so I'll probably just use nimhs for those.
09-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
batteries

Picking a best between AA and proprietary batts isn't as easy as it seems. Pentax usually get a bum rap from reviewers because it allows AA use. I have the Pentax DS and an Olympus E300 (proprietary batt). They both have + and -. The Olympus has batteries that cost about $35 each. These batts do last longer than AA. So around the house they may be better. On a trip the Oly batts are a pain because you have to find some where to recharge. If it is a different country you must make sure the electricity is compatible. If there is electricity. With the Pentax we have different battery technologies that we can match to the situation. Overseas, forget recharging and use the disposable crv or lithium AA. You can have enough batts to be shooting for weeks. Around the house you can use AA rechageables if you want. Pentax gives you choice. The Proprietary batts may be the all around one best battery but they have a hard time competing against all the different choices the Pentax offers. Now I have a K10D ordered so I will be using another special battery. Keep in mind with AA you can also use these in your shoe mount flash. It is nice to be able to carry only 1 kind of battery.
Pentax service in the US is very good. They are nice and helpful. I work at a store that sends in camera repairs to all the companies. I actually think, pre Sony taking over KM, all companies did a good job. They aren't all as nice as Pentax , but they do a good job fixing stuff. I also had to send in electronics for repair. No fan of Sony am I. I can't imagine how they will do camera repair. You don't even need to have RA #s to send in camera repairs (don't know about Sony yet). Camera people have it good vs electronics people.
Hope this helps
thanks
barondla