Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did I move the sensor???

Hi Folks,

I've taken to cleaning the sensor for dust removal. I'm using the kit from Copper Hill and it seems to be working.

BUT, i've noticed a trend in my photos and i'm not sure it's me or the camera - plenty of the photos are angled. ie. i was taking a photo of a framed poster and it was definitely on an angle. I've taken scenery shots and they look angled too.

Before i post some samples, I have to ask - i know one can scratch the glass which sits on top of the sensor, but is it possible to move the sensor, therefore causing my issue?

Or, maybe this isn't how cameras work and it's just user idiocy?

Cheers
Keebler

12-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Keebler,
I don't think that you would have moved the sensor unless you were almost brutal with it.

And the problem that your mentioning might be the camera.
Some K10D's have a leaning view finder, and if this is the case Pentax will fix it for you under warranty (as long as your time isn't up)

My advice is try taking more pictures over the holiday season, and make sure that you line everything up in the camera.
Use the lines in the view finder to assure that your holding it straight.
And if your still having those problems send it back in when you can part with the camera for up to 2 months.
12-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No way you can. The CCD assembly is well fixed on the stainless steel chassis. Even if you loose all the screws of that assembly, it won't shift a bit. If the viewfinder is not aligned with the taken pictures, it is the black masking frame sandwiched between the prism and the focus screen is not aligned precise enough. To readjust that masking frame, you have to alter the prism alignment which should only be done by the service centre.
12-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Keebler,
I don't think that you would have moved the sensor unless you were almost brutal with it.

And the problem that your mentioning might be the camera.
Some K10D's have a leaning view finder, and if this is the case Pentax will fix it for you under warranty (as long as your time isn't up)

My advice is try taking more pictures over the holiday season, and make sure that you line everything up in the camera.
Use the lines in the view finder to assure that your holding it straight.
And if your still having those problems send it back in when you can part with the camera for up to 2 months.
thanks! I just bought it in July and I think i have a 5 year warranty on it so i'll be bringing it on for sure. it's so damn confusing

01-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
Hi Folks,

I've taken to cleaning the sensor for dust removal. I'm using the kit from Copper Hill and it seems to be working.

BUT, i've noticed a trend in my photos and i'm not sure it's me or the camera - plenty of the photos are angled. ie. i was taking a photo of a framed poster and it was definitely on an angle. I've taken scenery shots and they look angled too.

Before i post some samples, I have to ask - i know one can scratch the glass which sits on top of the sensor, but is it possible to move the sensor, therefore causing my issue?

Or, maybe this isn't how cameras work and it's just user idiocy?

Cheers
Keebler
Sorry to warm up the old post.... I was just wondering,which kit from Copper Hill do you have? Whee did you get it? Some Link?

Thanx!
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Pentagor,

No problem.

I bought the appropriate K100 kit from this page:

www.copperhillimages.com

works great.

Cheers,
keebler
01-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
Hey Pentagor,

No problem.

I bought the appropriate K100 kit from this page:

Copper Hill Images

works great.

Cheers,
keebler
Thanks mate!
But:
QuoteQuote:
Sorry, the item selected may not be shipped outside the U.S. & Canada.
So, I'll try elsewhere.
02-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Forum Member

Try this site Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Home they sell all the things in the copper hill kit. If you want to save some more money learn how to make your own sensor swab and learn a proper cleaning technique here: Cleaning Digital Cameras - The Methods (There is nothing dangerous in using a home made swab, I followed the instructions in this site and the recommended products and it works like a charm!)

My cheap cleaning kit: rocket blower, pec pads, eclipse solution, home made swab.

Oh! and you can also use the solution and pec pads to clean your lenses!!

**The only thing is that these cleaning solutions can't be shipped by air..., well I guess you are fairly close to Germany so you should get your kit fairly soon..., other choice is to get the official pentax cleaning kit from ebay for $50 shipped to your door (search for "O-ICK1")

Last edited by chrisca70; 02-05-2008 at 06:01 PM.