Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
I wouldn't want to use a fisheye for a pano unless it was a qtvr type pano.

Why is that? I use mine in vertical format for producing static panos (rectilinear or cylindrical) when I need a relatively high vertical angle of view (and I'm too lazy or too time constrained to shoot a multi-row array). There is no way that anyone can tell what the geometric characteristic of the optic were that was used to capture the array after the pano is generated.

01-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #32

Original Poster
Finally Did It

Hi guys...I finally put together a 12 shot panorama today with my K100D..Stitched it together and it looks great, but try as I might, I have no idea how to post a picture in this message. Thanks for all the tips guys.
01-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a little too tired to do anything tonight, but if you can't figure it out e-mail it to me at
stu at bcscenicwonder dot com and I'll post it on Sunday sometime.

Make sure that you write down Pano or something like that on the subject.
01-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #34

Original Poster
Thanks Stu...email is on the way. I'll take a look at the FAQ again and see if I can figure out how to post pics on this forum....maybe this will work:

yeah...victory...

Last edited by tgrimes; 01-20-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: pano added
01-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

tgrimes,

Let me start by saying that you did a wonderful job.
I tried to improve upon it with a little post processing, but couldn't. Which is a good thing

I reduced the size to 3500 pixels wide. That's more than wide enough for the web

Anyways here's the finished product.

I'm using the Image Wide format, so it'll fit on the screen for most people. Clicking on it will give them a bigger picture, and if they'd like to see the full size they can open it in a new window or view picture.

I see several dots in the blue sky, which is dust on your sensor.
It's easy to clean. The chances are that you can just blow it off using a Rocket Blower.

I'd recommend that you get one of the cleaning kits, from Giottos.
You can find them in most decent camera stores for about $20.00.
They might even show you how to use it.

Last edited by little laker; 01-20-2008 at 06:29 PM.
01-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #36

Original Poster
Thanks again Stu...cleaning kit ordered tonight (no camera stores near by). Hopefully it will have some instructions. I guess it is best to minimize lens changing activity.
01-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

No problem tgrimes

I doubt that the kit will have instructions, but someone here will walk you through the procedure.

Lens changes are part of life, and so is dealing with the dust when happens.
There is a chance that your camera even had that spot right from the factory.

You just learn what to look for, and how to deal with it at the time.

Try not to change the lens in dusty conditions.
Point the camera upside down when changing them.
Loosen the rear lens cap on the new lens first, so your not fiddling with it without a lens on your camera.
Keep your camera bag clean inside and out, plus blow off your lenses from time to time.

Just little things like that will help keep the sensor clean, but they still won't eliminate the problem.

I could have fixed your image with my software as well, but never thought of it at the time.

01-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tgrimes Quote
I appreciate all the responses to my question. Lots of great advice, but I am dense. On my P&S, in panorama mode, it showed me the last image with a line to over lap the next image and so on. It is very easy to align images for great panorama shots. I have tried for the last two weeks with my K100D to figure out how to align the last image with the new and I just can figure it out. Some of you mentioned an overlap of 30% or so...how the heck do I overlap if I can't see the last image in my viewfinder? Do I just guess? Thanks for the help all...I am not totally inept, I did manage to get a picture I took with my new K100D published in the local newspaper this week :-)

thanks...tg
What I do is to use the AF frame in the viewfinder to line up landmarks for overlap. In the first picture, I'll look at one of the AF corner marks, usually the one in the lower corner of the direction I'll be turning the camera to next (ie: if I'm panning left to right, I'll use the lower right AF corner as a guide for the next shot. That next shot I'll line up using the lower left AF corner. Repeat and rinse.). The AF corners work well for aligning horizontal rows. When I used a Fuji s5200, I used the rule of thirds lines, but the AF corners are pretty close and provide similar coverage

I took this one today handheld using this method:

01-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I guess it is best to minimize lens changing activity.
Note that also when you use a zoom lens on your camera, every time you zoom in/out it pumps small amounts of air into the sensor chamber. I've had sensor dust appear and disappear in consecutive shots due to that reason.
04-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #40

I also have a K100D super and want to do panos. I only have kit lenses at the moment but are in the process of buying a prime. I want the 31mm lense but my budget prevents that so I was looking at the FA 50mm 1.4 or the DA 40mm 2.8. Any suggestions would help.

Last edited by Mitch401; 04-14-2009 at 08:49 PM.