Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2007, 01:23 AM   #1

Panorama Shots With K100D Super

Hello All...I've been reading this forum for a while and thought I'd join up. I haven't seen this question posted so here it is. I have been using a Pentax Option S5i for a few years now and I recently decided to upgrade to an SLR. I went with the K100D Super and I am very happy I did. It is a great transition to the power an SLR offers. One really nice feature in the optio I use frequently is the panorama feature. The software then stitches the photos together for really great results. Is there a way to achieve the same type of shots with the K100D? I suppose a wide angle lens or the fisheye ( I plan to purchase both at some point) will give me the same result, but I'd like to know if there is a way to do it the same way my optio did. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by tgrimes; 12-19-2007 at 01:56 AM.
12-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi tgrimes,
welcome to the forums.
First of all, great choice of camera, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
As for the panoramatic shots. I was using DA18-55 for over year for that purpose, and I found it rather great. Stopped down to f16 it gives great sharpness and nice DOF. Sometimes you may feel (as I did) that it's bit narrow at 18. But with good tripod, PC and software, this is easy to sort out as you can stitch pics...
But to be on the safe side, I wrote to Santa and he's delivering Sigma 10-20 for this X-mas. I've already testdriven the lens. It's stunning lens. Other alternatives are Pentax DA 12-24, DA 14, or fisheye lenses, Sigma does few (don't know though which with K-mount) and Pentax has it's own DA 10-17. With fisheyes you must be aware that the distortion will be much greater due to "fisheye" aspect of the lens...
good luck
12-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #3
Forum Member

Hello!

As it was told - you can make panoramas later - on your computer. There are lots of photostiching software products.

Personally I like autostich - it's free and results are really good.

So here are couple of basic resources on panoramas:
Photo Stitching Digital Panoramas
Digital Camera Software Downloads
12-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try this

Multi-Image Panoramas

Mark does really good pano's and was a guest speaker in 2006 at Grandfather Mountain Nature Photography Weekend(and also judges the contest).

Some good tips here and software suggestions. He also has a link to freeware and shareware stuff to.

I seem to get poor results using CS1 and CS2 for pano's but Elements 3 does a better job.

Dave

12-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do a fair amount of panoramics, and I really hate to say that I have to disagree with axl about his lens choice in a way.

The 18-55mm kit lens is a great lens, but there's vignetting at 18mm, in other words the outside of the image is darker than the inside.
This makes it tougher to blend everything together.

So if your going to use the kit lens for panoramics please do yourself a favor, and shoot them at the 20mm or closer range

Next. Learn how to shoot in Manual. Because if you shoot in Automatic the camera will change exposure settings on you between every photo, again making it tough to stitch together.

My final tip. Shoot with lots of overlap. At least 25%, I give myself about a 35% overlap.

I will say that my #1 panoramic lens is a 28mm prime, and I wouldn't consider anything wider.
A retired pro photographer I know always uses a 50mm prime, saying that it works best for him.
12-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think I would listen to ''little laker''...One needs only to look at his pictures and they speak for themselves...great stuff..
12-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I do a fair amount of panoramics, and I really hate to say that I have to disagree with axl about his lens choice in a way.

The 18-55mm kit lens is a great lens, but there's vignetting at 18mm, in other words the outside of the image is darker than the inside.

So if your going to use the kit lens for panoramics please do yourself a favor, and shoot them at the 20mm or closer range

Next. Learn how to shoot in Manual. Because if you shoot in Automatic the camera will change exposure settings on you between every photo, again making it tough to stitch together.

My final tip. Shoot with lots of overlap. At least 25%, I give myself about a 35% overlap.

I will say that my #1 panoramic lens is a 28mm prime, and I wouldn't consider anything wider.
A retired pro photographer I know always uses a 50mm prime, saying that it works best for him.
And, according to Scott Kelby, shoot VERTICALs! This reduces the distortion at frame edges. I have not pano'd using the K10d yet, but I think I will try it, veritcals, 25% overlap, using my 100 Macro - no distortion. Thank heaven my ball head has a separate rotation lock, so I can level things up and just rotate the camera. This should be fun.
12-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I think I would listen to ''little laker''...One needs only to look at his pictures and they speak for themselves...great stuff..
Thank You, I'm blushing now

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And, according to Scott Kelby, shoot VERTICALs! This reduces the distortion at frame edges. I have not pano'd using the K10d yet, but I think I will try it, veritcals, 25% overlap, using my 100 Macro - no distortion. Thank heaven my ball head has a separate rotation lock, so I can level things up and just rotate the camera. This should be fun.
Very good point Albert, and I'm sorry that I didn't think of mentioning it to you tgrimes.

At times I forget that shooting panoramics isn't second nature to everyone. It took me a while to be happy with my results, and learn what I do know.
And I still mess up the odd time here and there.

12-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank You, I'm blushing now

Very good point Albert, and I'm sorry that I didn't think of mentioning it to you tgrimes.

At times I forget that shooting panoramics isn't second nature to everyone. It took me a while to be happy with my results, and learn what I do know.
And I still mess up the odd time here and there.
LL - do you really think I never mess up? In that case, I have a great bridge to sell you, in downtown Brooklyn, New York, great traffic, only $10,000. (That will buy me that 400/2.8 I drool over)
12-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hey, I am in the market for a bridge...What color is it and how much to ship it to L.A.?
12-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
axl
Inactive Account

DA 18-55 was my ONLY wide choice until now, and if you buy kit, you aren't left with much choice unless you don't want to splash bit more for better lens. Anyway, the vigneting is occuring on 18-19mm only, plus you say that 28mm +/- is best for panos. So zoom to 28mm and you don't have vigneting. Sure sharpness and contrast won't be the same, but then you can save for good lens....

PS: you don't have to blush, your shots are great, I'd say even inspirational...

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I agree on verticals, and overlaps, just think 100mm is bit long... but, that's just my opinion...
12-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
DA 18-55 was my ONLY wide choice until now, and if you buy kit, you aren't left with much choice unless you don't want to splash bit more for better lens. Anyway, the vigneting is occuring on 18-19mm only, plus you say that 28mm +/- is best for panos. So zoom to 28mm and you don't have vigneting. Sure sharpness and contrast won't be the same, but then you can save for good lens....

PS: you don't have to blush, your shots are great, I'd say even inspirational...

I agree on verticals, and overlaps, just think 100mm is bit long... but, that's just my opinion...
I know it's long - but my daughter in law has my 28/3.5 M. I'll try it with the DA* 16-50 as well. I was thinking that I could use the 100 in landscape mode, because of the lack of distortion.
12-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
axl
Inactive Account

Who am I kidding anyway, I like it other way round, wide and ultra wide angle, not stitching...
anyway I've been into picture taking only recently, and I certainly wouldn't go against more experienced photographers....
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

first time pano

I never did a pano before, but here's an example I have using two photo's with autostitch. When I took these shots, I wasn't even thinking about a pano, but it didn't turn out half bad. I used my vivitar 19-35 at it's widest setting.

Last edited by Oldschool; 01-11-2008 at 09:01 AM.
12-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
anyway I've been into picture taking only recently, and I certainly wouldn't go against more experienced photographers....
From what I've seen of your photographs your doing a fine job then