Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Switch to AF-C, and you will receive confirmation but are still able to release the shuttrer when focus is not attained, even with a manual focus lens. I believe that the control is there - labeled AF-C. Or MF, if you prefer. The indication will still appear in MF mode.
thanks for confirming what I wrote above,

what I am suggesting is that the user has the ability to interlock or not focus confirmation with shutter. That is what the *istD and PZ-1 had. I simply don't understand why they took it away on the K10D

For me, I think it should be a user selection for each position of the focusing switch. There are times where you forget which poosition the thing is set to, and you want the shot to go, regardless, other times (when my wife has the camera) where you simply don't want the shot to go unless in focus because she always gets it wrong.

12-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I see what you are saying. I guess I just usually throw it to manual focus to get around it. I'm not 100% sure, because it has been awhile since I have looked, but it seems like the K110D lets you set it, not for each mode, but I think there is a setting that says to let you take the picture even if its not in focus, so that would be global to all modes. Again, I'm not sure if it is really there, but I think it is. I don't have a K10D, so I don't know if it has something similar, but it sounds like it doesn't. I can see how it could be useful, I'm surprised that if it was something they had at one point that they would take it away.
12-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
thanks for confirming what I wrote above,

what I am suggesting is that the user has the ability to interlock or not focus confirmation with shutter. That is what the *istD and PZ-1 had. I simply don't understand why they took it away on the K10D

For me, I think it should be a user selection for each position of the focusing switch. There are times where you forget which poosition the thing is set to, and you want the shot to go, regardless, other times (when my wife has the camera) where you simply don't want the shot to go unless in focus because she always gets it wrong.
I think the light just dawned. What you are looking for is to detach the focus from the shutter release. It's in the menus.

[Menu]
[Custom Settings]
[AF by Press Halfway] OFF <-- here it is!
Now you mark the focus with the [AF] button, and the camera will not forget!
12-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think the light just dawned. What you are looking for is to detach the focus from the shutter release. It's in the menus.

[Menu]
[Custom Settings]
[AF by Press Halfway] OFF <-- here it is!
Now you mark the focus with the [AF] button, and the camera will not forget!
Nope, you hgaven't got it. That will shut off auto focus and require you to hit the AF button on the back of the camera to focus.

What I want is the function that has been on my other AF cameras, where I can totally separate AF confirmation from blocking the shutter release, whether in single AF mode, continuous AF mode, or MF.

Note on earlier cameras you could have in Manual Focus, for example, the shutter interlocked with the AF confirmation and trap focus that way.

12-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For me, I think it should be a user selection for each position of the focusing switch. There are times where you forget which poosition the thing is set to, and you want the shot to go, regardless
It's a simple matter to flip the focus button to manual with your thumb without removing your eye from the viewfinder.

QuoteQuote:
other times (when my wife has the camera) where you simply don't want the shot to go unless in focus because she always gets it wrong.
It's interesting that you'd prefer to scroll through the menu to make selections, and remember to change those back when your wife uses the camera, vs flipping an external button on the rare occasion that you want to take a shot that the AF can't lock.

IMO, the menus have enough selections without adding redundancy.