Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
won't shoot w/ manual focus lens

What am I doing wrong with my K10D? It used to work fine with manual focus lenses, now it won't. The lens is set to 'A' and I have set 'Custom Setting' - 'Using Aperture Ring' - 'Permitted'. I focus - get a red blink that I am in focus - all settings look ok to take a pic - press the shutter - Nothing!

12-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I'm not mistaken... you should set the "Using Aperture Ring" to NOT permitted, if a lense is in position A. Right?
12-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
What am I doing wrong with my K10D? It used to work fine with manual focus lenses, now it won't. The lens is set to 'A' and I have set 'Custom Setting' - 'Using Aperture Ring' - 'Permitted'. I focus - get a red blink that I am in focus - all settings look ok to take a pic - press the shutter - Nothing!
The green hexagon needs to be on all the time, that's the focus confirmation. Try once with the focus trap mode and see if the camera takes a picture.
12-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #4

Do you have the camera set to autofocus? That could be your problem. With a manual focus lens and camera set to autofocus, the shutter will only fire if the image is exactly in focus; this is how the focus trap method works. Switch to manual focus on the camera and you shouldn't have any problems getting the shutter to fire.

12-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You're probably set to Auto Focus. It will still fire in Auto Focus if it senses something in focus, but the shutter goes 'dead' if not.
12-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think deni and Chris have it right. First try switching to MF and test it. Then back to AF.S and make sure the green hexagon is on when you hit the shutter. The Red light in the viewfinder is the focus point but not the focus confirmation.
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
You're probably set to Auto Focus. It will still fire in Auto Focus if it senses something in focus, but the shutter goes 'dead' if not.
I had the same with my K100D Super and Pentax A lens a while ago when I was doing some test shots (I was wondering what was wrong until I saw that the camera was still in AF mode).
12-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Looks like a lot of interesting but misleading guesses.

Note on the K10D and I have tried this to confirm.

Setting the use apature ring has nothing to do with it, for an A lens, it will work in either mode

Setting the focus switch to MF will allow shutter release when pressed regardless of AF confirmation
Setting focus siwtch to AF-C will also allow the shutter to trip regardless of the AF confirmation
Setting the focus switch to AF-S will interlock focus confirmation with shutter.

What would be nice is if there was a menu function that allowed you to alter these settings. It was there, on my *istD

12-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Looks like a lot of interesting but misleading guesses.

Note on the K10D and I have tried this to confirm.

Setting the use apature ring has nothing to do with it, for an A lens, it will work in either mode

Setting the focus switch to MF will allow shutter release when pressed regardless of AF confirmation
Setting focus siwtch to AF-C will also allow the shutter to trip regardless of the AF confirmation
Setting the focus switch to AF-S will interlock focus confirmation with shutter.

What would be nice is if there was a menu function that allowed you to alter these settings. It was there, on my *istD
It isn't that hard to fix, you don't really need the menu, just flip the af/mf switch and problem should be solved. I see what you mean about the af modes, but how often do you really switch the modes? Is it enough, and enough for the majority of people, to make it necessary in a quick menu?

I think your problem is definitely the focusing issue, just flip your switch to manual focus, since that is what you're doing, and it should be fine.
12-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
It isn't that hard to fix, you don't really need the menu, just flip the af/mf switch and problem should be solved. I see what you mean about the af modes, but how often do you really switch the modes? Is it enough, and enough for the majority of people, to make it necessary in a quick menu?

I think your problem is definitely the focusing issue, just flip your switch to manual focus, since that is what you're doing, and it should be fine.
I think some people would like to have the option of having some different settings, or changing them. I am not talking about a menu that you constantly access but a function setting to set the switch function as you want.
12-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What type of settings?
12-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
What type of settings?
the ability to control yourself whether for each focusing mode the AF confirmation is interlocked with the shutter
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am so embarrased.

Thanks everyone! I knew it had to be something simple. I am still getting used to the manual focus lenses on this camera.
12-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Red blinkie no focus, green solid focus.
12-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the ability to control yourself whether for each focusing mode the AF confirmation is interlocked with the shutter
Switch to AF-C, and you will receive confirmation but are still able to release the shuttrer when focus is not attained, even with a manual focus lens. I believe that the control is there - labeled AF-C. Or MF, if you prefer. The indication will still appear in MF mode.