Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,675
won't shoot w/ manual focus lens

What am I doing wrong with my K10D? It used to work fine with manual focus lenses, now it won't. The lens is set to 'A' and I have set 'Custom Setting' - 'Using Aperture Ring' - 'Permitted'. I focus - get a red blink that I am in focus - all settings look ok to take a pic - press the shutter - Nothing!

12-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member
pentagor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 473
If I'm not mistaken... you should set the "Using Aperture Ring" to NOT permitted, if a lense is in position A. Right?
12-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tirana, Albania, South Europe, Planet Earth
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 621
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
What am I doing wrong with my K10D? It used to work fine with manual focus lenses, now it won't. The lens is set to 'A' and I have set 'Custom Setting' - 'Using Aperture Ring' - 'Permitted'. I focus - get a red blink that I am in focus - all settings look ok to take a pic - press the shutter - Nothing!
The green hexagon needs to be on all the time, that's the focus confirmation. Try once with the focus trap mode and see if the camera takes a picture.
12-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 21
Do you have the camera set to autofocus? That could be your problem. With a manual focus lens and camera set to autofocus, the shutter will only fire if the image is exactly in focus; this is how the focus trap method works. Switch to manual focus on the camera and you shouldn't have any problems getting the shutter to fire.

12-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,420
You're probably set to Auto Focus. It will still fire in Auto Focus if it senses something in focus, but the shutter goes 'dead' if not.
12-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
I think deni and Chris have it right. First try switching to MF and test it. Then back to AF.S and make sure the green hexagon is on when you hit the shutter. The Red light in the viewfinder is the focus point but not the focus confirmation.
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lommel, Belgium
Posts: 285
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
You're probably set to Auto Focus. It will still fire in Auto Focus if it senses something in focus, but the shutter goes 'dead' if not.
I had the same with my K100D Super and Pentax A lens a while ago when I was doing some test shots (I was wondering what was wrong until I saw that the camera was still in AF mode).
12-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
Looks like a lot of interesting but misleading guesses.

Note on the K10D and I have tried this to confirm.

Setting the use apature ring has nothing to do with it, for an A lens, it will work in either mode

Setting the focus switch to MF will allow shutter release when pressed regardless of AF confirmation
Setting focus siwtch to AF-C will also allow the shutter to trip regardless of the AF confirmation
Setting the focus switch to AF-S will interlock focus confirmation with shutter.

What would be nice is if there was a menu function that allowed you to alter these settings. It was there, on my *istD

12-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member
travis_cooper's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 300
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Looks like a lot of interesting but misleading guesses.

Note on the K10D and I have tried this to confirm.

Setting the use apature ring has nothing to do with it, for an A lens, it will work in either mode

Setting the focus switch to MF will allow shutter release when pressed regardless of AF confirmation
Setting focus siwtch to AF-C will also allow the shutter to trip regardless of the AF confirmation
Setting the focus switch to AF-S will interlock focus confirmation with shutter.

What would be nice is if there was a menu function that allowed you to alter these settings. It was there, on my *istD
It isn't that hard to fix, you don't really need the menu, just flip the af/mf switch and problem should be solved. I see what you mean about the af modes, but how often do you really switch the modes? Is it enough, and enough for the majority of people, to make it necessary in a quick menu?

I think your problem is definitely the focusing issue, just flip your switch to manual focus, since that is what you're doing, and it should be fine.
12-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
It isn't that hard to fix, you don't really need the menu, just flip the af/mf switch and problem should be solved. I see what you mean about the af modes, but how often do you really switch the modes? Is it enough, and enough for the majority of people, to make it necessary in a quick menu?

I think your problem is definitely the focusing issue, just flip your switch to manual focus, since that is what you're doing, and it should be fine.
I think some people would like to have the option of having some different settings, or changing them. I am not talking about a menu that you constantly access but a function setting to set the switch function as you want.
12-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,133
What type of settings?
12-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
What type of settings?
the ability to control yourself whether for each focusing mode the AF confirmation is interlocked with the shutter
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,675
Original Poster
I am so embarrased.

Thanks everyone! I knew it had to be something simple. I am still getting used to the manual focus lenses on this camera.
12-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 782
Red blinkie no focus, green solid focus.
12-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,144
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the ability to control yourself whether for each focusing mode the AF confirmation is interlocked with the shutter
Switch to AF-C, and you will receive confirmation but are still able to release the shuttrer when focus is not attained, even with a manual focus lens. I believe that the control is there - labeled AF-C. Or MF, if you prefer. The indication will still appear in MF mode.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, focus, lens, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can a manual-focus lens have back focus problems? PocketPixels Pentax DSLR Discussion 33 02-13-2011 05:37 AM
manual focus lens into AF? SebastianP Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-03-2010 09:46 AM
Front focus/ back focus on Manual lens. Possible? WangJianWei Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 04-20-2009 07:50 PM
Cannot shoot with manual lens while battery is low bc_the_path Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 03-31-2007 11:54 PM
Manual focus lens Charles Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 01-28-2007 03:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top