Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is also a 4-star jpeg setting on the K20D, whereas 3-star is the highest on the K-x. Battery life is also much longer on the K20D.

12-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: I found what I think is an absolutely great offer: a K10D which cannot autofocus (everything else seems OK) for just about $150 shipped. I don't want to overpay for it though, so what do you think about the price? (I know it depends upon the shutter count too, seller gave no information so I asked him).
12-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
I would haggle to get it down to below $100. Think of it this way - few people like to MF these days - the seller is lucky to have found you - it would cost him a few hundred dollars to repair the AF and who would buy the K10D for $350+ and where would he find another guy willing to live with MF? I would set the price such that it would seem a good deal even when adding the cost of repairing the AF system (I'm not sure what that cost would be, but I would expect it to start from $200).
12-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One should know the reason for the broken AF: just the motor or something witch marks the start for bigger problems to come? If it is the motor, just take care to have AF switched off all the time.
But you mentioned you may change the focus screen. If you do so, ANYTHING giving more light to the VF will help significantly. In this case I would prefer a body with a pentaprism like the K10D or K20D to the alternatives.

12-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh ok, I might also just skip this one: I didn't like at all the seller's answer to my questions. He basically let me understand that it is my risk whether the camera would work as intended, and couldn't even give me a value for the shutter count. I guess I'll be looking for another body - I'm in no hurry anyway, my program is full because of college now.
12-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Good job on skipping it. I know you can get a fully functional k10d for 200bucks (60000 shutter counts, they say the k10d can get up to 150k). there's one here for 200, I would like to offer him 150 for it, but I changed my mind and aiming for a k20d instead.
12-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The IQ of a K-x is superb, I barely noticed any difference in IQ at all upgrading to a K-5. Pretty much everything else about the K-x sucks though compared to my K-5 . Depends on your priorities.

12-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello again, now the Christmas has passed leaving me with not so much money (but arguably still enough for a K-x body). The thing is, a strange idea creeped into my mind, becoming more annoying with every day: "how about a K-7?" It looks like a great camera with all the functionality I'd possibly wish, and the $500 price tag for this beast seems incredible. But what is the reason for so many selling their K-7 at this price? Maybe because of no dedicated SR switch?

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 12-26-2011 at 05:59 PM.
12-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just copy my other recent post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html
after reading that and playing with my K7 I do not really want K5 any more.
K7 is brilliant camera and pleasure to use.
I still have KX with Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC ( the smaller older one, no HSM and better MACRO)more-less permanently attached to it, always stays in my backpack, great for indoors and traveling, on one set of 4x AA Lithium batteries can take up to 950 shots ( very convenient while you are moving around).
So, I would go to the shop and have a play with both bodies, KX/KR and K5/K7 , and if you could find K20, see what you like.
As from a body feel point of ( my) view :
1: K5/K7
2: KX/KR
3: K20
02-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What would be the going price for the following bodies? (assuming all of them have under 10k actuations and are in good condition):
1. *ist D, 2. *ist DS, 3. K10D, 4. K-x, 5. *ist DL, 6. K100D. How much would the standard 18-55 add to the value? (I only plan to resell it later)
Asking because my savings have maxed out at $300 and I have to select a camera based on what I have. Not thinking very seriously on #5 and #6, but if they take good pictures I might be content with them as well.
02-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a k20D I bought second hand. My wife has a K-x bought new. To me, it all comes down to the water resistance. If you've been using a Spotmatic not having water resistance shouldn't bother you. (By the way... my Spotmatic died in 92, how did you ever keep yours alive so long?) We like both cameras. I'm guessing we'll sell the K20D and keep the K-x when the time comes, but if I was going to have just one.. I'd keep the K20D.. with my DA 18-135 WR and DA* 60-250 WR I have a weather sealed unit.. and that's important where I come form. Picture quality wise... I don't see a difference. I could put up a couple photos where my wife and I were shooting side by side, and you won't be able to tell which picture came from which camera. That being said, on a hike with a 21 ltd lens on the front, the K-x is about the weight of a point and shoot, a joy to carry. The K20D is somewhat heavier.
02-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, as I said earlier, the best way to protect the camera from rain/snow is to protect myself (i.e. stay at home ) That being said, can you please tell me if there is much difference between the two cameras' viewfinders? The fact that the K10d and the ist D and DS have pentaprisms makes them more appealing to me, and I'd like to reassure that I make the right decision choosing them over the K-x.
02-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi.

I think of all the choices you mentioned, the K-x is the one I'd go for. I've owned a K100DS & my wife has a couple of *ist DS bodies, and while they are excellent cameras, the image quality, better resolution and high ISO performance of the K-x make it a camera you can do much more with. If you can live without focus point indicators in the viewfinder, (I personally don't need them since I just use center point AF) and you don't require weather sealing (which is only good if you have weather sealed lenses to go with the camera.) the image quality & ergonomics of the K-x are terrific. And you should be able to get a nice used K-x body for $300. I just bought a near mint K-x with only 4500 shutter clicks for $295, including shipping from another member.

The *ist DS has a bit larger viewfinder image than the K-x, but I don't think it's a big deal.

The standard 18-55 should set you back $30-$50 used, depending on which version you get. The weather-sealed one, which is unnecessary with the K-x, is around $130-ish.

Good luck,
Bob :-)
02-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the message, this is the kind of advice I am searching for. I currently have 2 cameras in my town, one is a K10d for $350 and the other is a black K-x for $390, but negotiable. I'm sorry I said in the post above that I have $300, I really ment $400, I must be really tired. There's another thing to consider: the the K10d may be nicer to complement my girlfriend's K-r, having weather sealing. On the other hand, I would have more freedom with the K-x, having video ability in my own camera. I do like videos taken with K-mount lenses, and the new K-01 isn't helping at all my desire for a digital body. With this fact taken into consideration, would you still recommend me the K-x? (please say yes)
02-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
With this fact taken into consideration, would you still recommend me the K-x?
I absolutely would still recommend the K-x. The K10D is a nice camera, no doubt, but the K-x has higher resolution, and better high ISO performance. If you're going to do low-light shooting, or are using long tele lenses handheld, you'll appreciate that you can shoot all the way up to ISO 3200 with about the same amount of noise as ISO 800 on other cameras.

The weather sealing is nice, but only when you're using weather sealed lenses on it. Any time you're not using a weather sealed lens on it, it's not watertight.

By the way, for $390 it should include the kit lens, all the original stuff (box, manuals, strap, etc) and be in near mint condition with low shutter count. (under 6000.) If not, I would either try to get him to come down in price significantly or look elsewhere. I paid $390 for my other K-x (I have 2) but that was a year ago, AND it had a KatzEye screen in it.

Good luck!
Bob :-)