Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help me choose my first DSLR body

Well, I really hope that my days shooting film will end soon, because I don't do my own developing and the scanner I have is purely crap. So now that I have some money (not very much though), I'm looking for a digital replacement of my Spotmatic. My only experiences with a DSLR have been with my girlfriend's K-r, and I have to say I liked it very much. Now the K-r isn't within my budget (which is about $450 absolute maximum), but I've been thinking much about a white K-x. I know I would like it best (basically it's the same camera as the K-r), but I wonder, what about all the other DSLRs? I might miss live view and video, but who knows, maybe not that much after all. I don't care at all about AF capabilities, because a focus screen and an M42 adapter will be the very next things I will buy. I do take pictures every now and then where ISO 800 or maybe 1600 is required, but not that often. I've heard a lot of talk about the K-x and K-r doing well at that settings, and I can confirm, but sadly not much about the K20D, K10D and *istD/DS/DL. Maybe it's just me who thinks I'd regret buying a camera other than the K-x, so I'd appreciate you sharing your opinion. You know, you sometimes have this talent of scaring people away with QC issues, front focusing, battery drains, Ricoh pins and so on.

12-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x has live view and video- it's an excellent beginner body unless you also want weather sealing and the more advanced external controls. Basically the K-r is identical to the K-x except it has some upgraded hardware and features. The sensor itself is the same, although Pentax expanded its sensitivity by one stop (up to ISO 26500).

You can actually get a used K-r for under $450, here's one for $425:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/167238-sale-k...lack-used.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have to throw in a good word about the K20D. I have a K20D and a K-x, and I prefer almost everything about the K20D. It is definitely more robust, and I like the controls much better. The LCD is also far superior; the K-x's LCD is not sharp enough to confirm whether your shots are correctly focused.

There are 2 areas in which the K-x is superior, and they may be enough to make it the better choice: low light sensitivity and video. The K-x is amazing in low light. If this is a crucial factor, and you don't plan to spend a lot on fast lenses, I would go with a K-x. For all other purposes, I prefer the K20D.
12-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a very good point with the LCD screen, which I didn't know (I thought the K20D's screen wasn't that good). Can you please detail with examples how K-x is better than K20D at high ISO (how high, how much better)? Thanks.

12-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
That's a very good point with the LCD screen, which I didn't know (I thought the K20D's screen wasn't that good). Can you please detail with examples how K-x is better than K20D at high ISO (how high, how much better)? Thanks.

I can't exactly post examples to illustrate the difference, as I have never done a scientific test with same subject, lens, aperture, and shutter speed. I can post some examples of high speed shots with each camera, though. I will get you started with this one, which was taken with the K-x at iso 3200 (I believe the shutter speed was 1/30th).
12-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

12-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Here is another from the K-x at iso 3200:

12-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening,

I am another one with a K20, and I have not upgraded as of yet. Here is a comparison between the K20, Kr and Kx here on the Forum.Now, I also have a K100 which is an early predecessor to the Kx/Kr by several years. For your $450, I think that you would be able to pick up a gently used K20 at least here on the forum's market place - I have seen them here for about $400. You can also share lenses with you girlfriend. The only other body I would think of is the K200D.

What you will give up is the high ISO capabilities of the Kx/Kr, but you will gain the low ISO 100 capability, along with a lot of added capabilities and features. It is a very solid camera body.

12-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I did post production on both of those images. I have gotten some nice results with the K20D in low light, too. Here is an example, which I believe was shot at iso 3200 and 1/30th:
I have not done any post production on this image. When it was taken, I was pleasantly surprised that the K20D was able to create such a clean image at iso 3200. From my experience, the key to having less noise in the images is to expose them properly. For example, it seems to me that an shot taken at 3200 and exposed properly will have less noise than a shot underexposed at 1600. I wonder if other people would agree with me.

12-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I heard you can get a k10d for 200 - 250, I was thinking of getting one as an extra. (I have the k-r right now.) do you guys think a k10d would be an awesome camera for the price even though it's 5 years old now?
12-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my K10D; it's my main camera. But I almost never use it above ISO 400. ISO 800 is usable, just; ISO 1600 isn't really IMO.
12-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you get a Pentax DSLR, then get a high end body with a pentaprism viewfinder: K10D, K20D, K-7, or K-5.

Consider also other cameras - NEX or MFT - you can use a lot more lenses on them with adapters. I used to think I need an optical viewfinder, but since I got an EPL2, I realized I can live very well without one; manual focusing works incredibly well too. Prices for mirrorless cameras have also went down, so they're a good alternative to DSLRs from a pricing perspective.

Unless you shoot a lot in low light, you shouldn't worry about high ISO too much.
12-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I can't afford anything above the K20, even that with difficulties, so I guess it all boils down to the K-x vs the K20D. Although the K-x would be nice to have, especially in white, its features that I might miss are already covered by the K-r, so when I need it I might just borrow it. That way it's a wiser decision to get a K20, it seems, but what are its real advantages except weather sealing, 2 exposure dials and a better viewfinder? I might never profit from the weather sealing, since I am not weather sealed myself, and I cannot just send the camera to take some pictures for me; I will never use the 2nd exposure wheel or the Sv and TAv modes (no lenses with A setting), and I'm not sure if the viewfinder is that better so I won't need a 3rd party focusing screen.
As a conclusion, I'm sure that for a lot of people, the K20d is a much better camera, but the K-x is all that I need, plus that it comes in white. Please prove me wrong.
12-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
what are its real advantages except weather sealing, 2 exposure dials and a better viewfinder? I might never profit from the weather sealing, since I am not weather sealed myself, and I cannot just send the camera to take some pictures for me; I will never use the 2nd exposure wheel or the Sv and TAv modes (no lenses with A setting), and I'm not sure if the viewfinder is that better so I won't need a 3rd party focusing screen.
As a conclusion, I'm sure that for a lot of people, the K20d is a much better camera, but the K-x is all that I need, plus that it comes in white. Please prove me wrong.
The only person who can prove what's best for you, is you.

You're right that weather sealing is of limited value if you aren't using weather-sealed lenses. (Not sure about your personal lack of weather sealing -- do you melt when it rains? )

With fully manual lenses (no A setting), the second e-dial is less useful. But not useless. When you're shooting with the lens wide open you can use Av mode, and hence use one e-dial for shutter speed aperture and the other for ISO. I do this quite a lot, actually. Unfortunately, at least on the K10D, you can't customize the e-dials for M mode (you can for other modes), so switching ISO settings involves extra steps. I don't know if newer bodies allow this -- I hope so.

If you do acquire an A lens later, you might really appreciate having the second e-dial.

You're also right that you may want a third-party focusing screen with either camera.

Also note that the K20D is physically larger than the K-x. Some prefer this, others not.

Last edited by baro-nite; 12-05-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: oops
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
With fully manual lenses (no A setting), the second e-dial is less useful. But not useless. When you're shooting with the lens wide open you can use Av mode, and hence use one e-dial for shutter speed and the other for ISO. I do this quite a lot, actually.
+1. I use it this way too.

The other big advantages, for me, are:

- pentaprism viewfinder - a big deal if you need to manually focus
- solid build - I like a solid camera in my hands - with the K-x, if I tighten my grip on it, I actually feel the plastic bending
- shutter lifetime - the K20D is supposed to last 100,000 actuation, the K-x one might last that much, maybe, who knows?
- AF confirmation points in viewfinder - K-x lacks these and this is maybe the best feature added in the K-r - maybe not as essential with old lenses, but it is useful with modern ones

The K-x was also supposed to have some issues with mirror induced vibrations. While I didn't notice them, the mirror slap sound is indeed more annoying on that camera.