Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone Use the Included Software?

Wondering if you use the Software that comes with the K5 "SilkyPix" powered. Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4. I use a MAC with latest Aperture and contemplating some plug ins. Before I install, I wondered what others thought of it.

12-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not. To be honest, I had trouble using some of it's tools.
My introduction to it was with my K10 a little more than five years ago and up to that point, digital photography and editing software was with very basic but intuitive Kodak EasyShare tools. I grew impatient and frustrated with SilkyPix and gave up on it.
A few years ago, I thought I had outgrown the EasyShare software and was introduced to Picasa. I think I even uninstalled SilkyPix. Lots of people here use it for processing RAW files, I understand.
Maybe I'm not smart enough for digital photography afterall.
12-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, Nowhere Matt. I had installed it years ago when I had the K100 and found it awkward to use. Didn't know if it had changed….Aperture processes RAW so I don't need Silky for that. Was hoping maybe Silky had some HDR or panoramic capabilities worth learning.
12-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing DCU has that Aperture doesn't is Lens correction.

12-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
and the lens correction is in the adobe softwares

the pentax software is not extraordinairy, and usual program does the job well
12-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
and the lens correction is in the adobe softwares
And lens correction can be added to Aperture with an inexpensive plug-in. What's your point?

PTLens
12-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

I use it all the time and believe it gives much better results than anything else I have tried. The interface is a little unusual but I have it configured across 2 screen and it gives a much bigger preview area that way.
Automatic lens correction including distortion, noise, CA all related to in camera settings for me is a real time saver.
The help files a basic and do no cover some of the settings like colour fine tune but once you figure it out it's great.
Batch processing, instant jpg extraction, jpg setting bought across from camera, rating system and built in data for all Pentax lenses makes it my first choice and I have tried many RAW editors over the last few years.

12-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I do not. To be honest, I had trouble using some of it's tools.
My introduction to it was with my K10 a little more than five years ago and up to that point, digital photography and editing software was with very basic but intuitive Kodak EasyShare tools. I grew impatient and frustrated with SilkyPix and gave up on it.
The DCU4 software is a big improvement over the PPB and PPL software that came with a K10D.

I use DCU4, I like the results (colour, detail) better than other programs I've tried and I like that it uses the same menus as the camera. It is slow and is not as powerful as some programs that allow the use of Layers.
12-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies - helpful. The K5 has a setting for reducing distortion and lateral chromatic aberrations, but didn't know enough about it to fool with it - yet.
12-03-2011, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJGPix Quote
Thanks for the replies - helpful. The K5 has a setting for reducing distortion and lateral chromatic aberrations, but didn't know enough about it to fool with it - yet.
You should look at these features, specifically lateral ca. It can make a sub performing lens into a star
12-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I am hoping that Ricoh have decided to kill the Pentax software and give us the proper Silkypix, as I believe they do themself (provide silkypix with Ricoh cameras, and also Q comes with Silkypix?) I migrated from a Samsung GX10 to a K7 and while the GX10 comes with Silkypix 3 (through updates) it was a bummer to use the provided software friom Pentax. The Pentax people really messed up badly. I would rather use Silkypix than ACR for conversions and think it would make sense for Pentax to provide their users with a decent package. So please Pentax, swallow your pride and give us Silkypix with lens profiles integrated. To be honest, I think PDCU is slightly embarrassing.
12-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #12

Lens corrections would be excellent! LR3 only has a handful for Pentax.
12-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
Improvement? Yes!

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I am hoping that Ricoh have decided to kill the Pentax software and give us the proper Silkypix, as I believe they do themself (provide silkypix with Ricoh cameras, and also Q comes with Silkypix?) I migrated from a Samsung GX10 to a K7 and while the GX10 comes with Silkypix 3 (through updates) it was a bummer to use the provided software friom Pentax. The Pentax people really messed up badly. I would rather use Silkypix than ACR for conversions and think it would make sense for Pentax to provide their users with a decent package. So please Pentax, swallow your pride and give us Silkypix with lens profiles integrated. To be honest, I think PDCU is slightly embarrassing.
I also compared the included software packages when comparing cameras before settling on the K5 (more pros than cons, but software was a con). I agree with your statements. Other "included" software was compatible with more systems and offered more editing possibilities etc. Maybe Pentax will "hear" us and then send packages to us Pentax users?! T'is the season to dream, isn't it?
12-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJGPix Quote
Other "included" software was compatible with more systems and offered more editing possibilities etc.
What specifically are you missing?
12-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What specifically are you missing?
Of course, I didn't bookmark the review that a included the camera software packages Never thought I would need it. I was comparing Canon, Nikon and Pentax and a review for either Canon or Nikon specifically stated the systems with which they were compatible and that their software stitched and could do HDR post processing. I wish I could find the review(s). I cannot "layer" in Aperture but can do most everything between Aperture, Piknik etc. I will be looking at "plug ins" for panos and HDR post production. (I know there is HDR in-camera filter and have been fooling with it). May also try GIMP again or one of the photoshop plug ins - my January projects!