Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How to best clean and repair old lens & bodies?

I have received some ebay bid items such as film bodies with K mount and M42 mount lens. And one package come frome a home filled with smell from smoking and I can smell it in 10 feet away from the camera bag. I have a very difficult time getting my face close to the camera and lens and I wonder what I can do to wipe off the gear to sanitize the gear hoping to clean out the smell as well. I was thinking of alcohol wipe paper towel. But before I commit the newbie cleanup, I like to learn from you all who has more experience. Here are my specific questions with some small clean up job that one can do it yourself type of task.

1. How to clean the gear including lens and body to remove dust, smell, and dirt? How do you clean up gear with a smoking smell?

2. If the rubber/leather that serve as sleeves covering the lens's focusing ring are gone, is there product that one can buy to replace the missing sleeve for the lens

3. If you hear focusing ring that is making rough friction noise that seem to indicate the need for lubrication, any advice on things to open and what lubricant to use against the lens barrel? I am NOT a handy man, is there link with step by step instruction on cleaning out lens barrel especially if one can fix on stiff focusing ring that needs lubrication

4. If you see the diaphragm, around the blades, have some oily spots, is that something that one should even attempt to cleanup, what would be the symptoms to watch for the pictures in a lens with oily blades?

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

Hin

12-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

smell

wipe with Fabreze smell will be gone.
12-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by ralphl Quote
wipe with Fabreze smell will be gone.
Is the air freshner safe to wipe on the lens/body of a camera gear? In general, what kind of cleaning solution is best used on camera gear? It is some basic common sense information that I don't know about.

Thanks you very much for your comment and suggestion.
Hin
12-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use a dishwasher with gentle soap. Air dry. Then put on the bookcase as a bookend.

Seriously:
1. How to clean the gear including lens and body to remove dust, smell, and dirt? How do you clean up gear with a smoking smell?

Any cloth items can be washed in the laundry (camera bags etc) and if that doesn't clean them then toss them out.

2. If the rubber/leather that serve as sleeves covering the lens's focusing ring are gone, is there product that one can buy to replace the missing sleeve for the lens

A little contact cement and some black leather carefully cut will cover the focus ring just fine. Get and old leather jacket from goodwill and cut out some panels to do this. cut the pieces and do a dry run without glue to adjust the fit. Then use as little glue as you can and make sure that you don't get any inside the lens. Look for a flat spot to glue to. In use make sure you keep them dry as the leather won't like rain. Thin rubber from a cheap car floor mat could work as well.

3. If you hear focusing ring that is making rough friction noise that seem to indicate the need for lubrication, any advice on things to open and what lubricant to use against the lens barrel? I am NOT a handy man, is there link with step by step instruction on cleaning out lens barrel especially if one can fix on stiff focusing ring that needs lubrication

This is for a service shop. if you can use it as is then do so. My guess is the barrel is out of perfect round or the lens was dropped.

4. If you see the diaphragm, around the blades, have some oily spots, is that something that one should even attempt to cleanup, what would be the symptoms to watch for the pictures in a lens with oily blades?

Again this is service shop stuff. You have to totally disassemble the lens to clean the blades and they are thinner than a human hair. Very tough to work on. It shows signs that they have been abused. The lens has been left in a car on a hot day or something similar. That's the lubricant for the focus ring that's on the blades.

As for cleaning the surfaces you can use a little methyl hydrate in very light quantities to clean the surface. Dab it on a clean rag and rub the surface. It won't leave a residue and is a good cleaner. But HIGHLY FLAMMABLE so be careful. Don't use a lot as it's strong enough to remove glue and paint.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-19-2007 at 11:51 PM.
12-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quick thank you note!

Peter, I just to want to reply with a quick thank you note to your thorough reply. I am very thankful for your thoughtful replies.

Much appreciation.
Hin
12-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
here's a link to repairing Pentax Manual Primes.

Good luck Hin.
12-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I am charged!

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That link along with the information from Peter has made the best information that I gather. Thank you guys and this forum is so awesome.

Thanks,
Hin
12-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens & Body needing repair & cleaning

These lens are missing rubber part in the sleeve covering the focusing ring of a recent manual lens that I have purchased with a Pentax manual p3n body. Everything seems to work in order with the exception on the missing sleeve. And this one smells normal

And this is another deal that I get on a p5 which smells very strongly from a smoking owner and I get the package along with a Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 with A setting, SMC A 50 f/2.0, Hanimax 80-210 Auto zoom, Sunpack auto 422D (also known as Sunpak auto 30dx) flash for a very low price. The 24mm and the flash are what I go after. The price is equivalent to few new lens cap that I need to purchase. So no complaint from me on the smoky smell and stiff focusing ring with noise

and the hanimax also needing a rubber/leather sleeve

Thank you guys,
Hin

12-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never a problem Hin,

That's a nice looking package. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the pictures you get when you get everything straightened out.
12-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Use a dishwasher with gentle soap. Air dry. Then put on the bookcase as a bookend.

Seriously:

Any cloth items can be washed in the laundry (camera bags etc) and if that doesn't clean them then toss them out.

A little contact cement and some black leather carefully cut will cover the focus ring just fine. Get and old leather jacket from goodwill and cut out some panels to do this. cut the pieces and do a dry run without glue to adjust the fit. Then use as little glue as you can and make sure that you don't get any inside the lens. Look for a flat spot to glue to. In use make sure you keep them dry as the leather won't like rain. Thin rubber from a cheap car floor mat could work as well.

This is for a service shop. if you can use it as is then do so. My guess is the barrel is out of perfect round or the lens was dropped.

Again this is service shop stuff. You have to totally disassemble the lens to clean the blades and they are thinner than a human hair. Very tough to work on. It shows signs that they have been abused. The lens has been left in a car on a hot day or something similar. That's the lubricant for the focus ring that's on the blades.

As for cleaning the surfaces you can use a little methyl hydrate in very light quantities to clean the surface. Dab it on a clean rag and rub the surface. It won't leave a residue and is a good cleaner. But HIGHLY FLAMMABLE so be careful. Don't use a lot as it's strong enough to remove glue and paint.

One thing to point out, specifically when you use any adhesive around the lens is to keep the caps ON. You don't want any solvent that evaporates out of the glue to condense or attack the coatings.
12-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent point Lowell. I should have also said use it in a well ventilated place. Also It occured to me after posting that some vinyl could also substitute the rubber or leather. The stuff that has the white cloth backing. Easy to glue and should have no issues with mold Etc if it get damp. Should also provide a decently gripy surface to focus or zoom the lens with.
12-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you guys!

Thank you for all the great tips, this is so wonderful. I find the smell coming mostly from the camera bag and the first obvious thing that I did yesterday night is to separate all gear from the the camera bag and with all suggestions, I would report back how all works out.

Though the smell, I am thrilled with joy in playing with the Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 with A setting that I get it from ebay and I am yet to try out the Sunpak Auto 422D flash.

Thanks,
Hin
12-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sleeve replacement: mouse pad

I just happen to have a mouse pad that is thin and has a rubbery surface to mount on the lens for the missing short sleeve on my manual lens with Focal 28-80. And here is my 1st attempt

original p5 and focal 28-80 without sleeve

Sleeve replacement with mouse pad

Sleeve replacement with mouse pad

I currently using Velcro strips to secure it to the lens, I will need to find a better adhesive that don't budge in the sticking part to the lens, any suggestions on clue or cement type of adhesive material is welcome. Thank you guys.

Hin
12-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've used tyre inner tube to make a grip before now.
12-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

lloydy, That's a great idea with the inner tube. Hin, I think careful application of contact cement is the way to do this. Use a paint brush and apply a coat on the surfaces that are smooth on the barrel. Stay about 5-10mm away from any holes through the barrel. Apply the same to the underside of the new grip. The way to do this is by placing the new grip on the lens barrel after you apply the glue. Then remove it and let the contact cement dry for 2 minutes so it gets sticky. Then reapply the grip. Hold it in place with tight rubber bands or string for a couple of hours.

but I like Lloydy's idea and think you could do that much more easily.