Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Just a pipe dream?

I have been (and still am) shooting with my ist ds for quite a while now. It has been great. In the last year, I've been shooting with an old 50/1.4 that has been a lot of fun and made me really think a lot more about how I shoot. Anyway, long story short, the kids are starting to get older, the little flip type camcorders aren't cutting it any more since they are doing "real" activities and I was starting to notice the level of noise at a 100% crop even in the best of conditions vs all the newest generation cameras (even some ps types). Needless to say, I've got new camera fever (not to mention, I shot a few frames with a friends new Canon EOS something or other today and I was kinda taken aback by the difference in speed and operation vs the ist). This new camera fever came to a screeching halt this morning when I was digging into the k-5 and saw the various limitations in video. I had in mind a great idea, something my wife would appreciate, a one camera to rule them all type of situation where I could have one to take great quality stills and high quality video. It seems that might just be a pipe dream though. Does anyone out there know if Pentax is working on an upgrade, firmware or otherwise, that is going to allow the k-5 (or a new camera) to shoot video with full, fast AF? I'm thinking about future soccer games, plays, etc. where a fixed focus before each shot just isn't going to cut it. Or, sans going to something like a Sony (egad) nex-5n, is just getting a standalone camcorder and sticking with a standalone still camera be the best bad.

12-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Supposedly they're coming out with exciting stuff next year, but nobody knows. Honestly, though, if you want good video, you'll probably be better off with a camcorder for that purpose. If you ask me, DSLRs aren't meant for video anyway...although Canon does a much better job of it than Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If video is your main goal then Sony A77 is the best camera for this future, since the SLT will give you a full functional AF during movieshooting. If you live in a place where it is warm you will have to suffer overheating of the sensor after a while and thus stopping the filming for a time to let the sensor cool down.

Otherwise a camcorder will be your best friend.
12-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Right tool for the job. DSLRs have their advantages, like creating very thin depth of field or creating thinner depth of field in a smaller room or enclosure. That being said, they are a tool and have their utilitarian limits. A wrench can be very handy but it won't help you cut your steak dinner.

12-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've had some steaks where I could have used a wrench... haha.

Anyway, that is kinda what I figured. I was reading a bit about some pretty big pieces shot with DSLR's (of the non Pentax variety) and for one thing they (of course) have tons and tons invested into their equipment, the other is that they might shoot a few minutes here and a few minutes there, but it's not like filming the kids dance recital.

Well, I think that settles it, gonna pick up a HD camcorder and stick to my ist until I see what 2012 brings. Maybe a new lens or so in the mean time.
12-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I must say that I was at Best Buy checking out the camcorders and played around with one of the Sony's. That EVF is kinda amazing.