Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Weird AF/shutter release problem (K-10D)

Was taking some indoor shots of the kids using my K-10D/Pentax 50mm. All was well.

Switched to a wide-angle Pentax 10-17mm and suddenly the shutter release button stopped working. No autofocus, nothing. Shutter release was completely unresponsive, even when depressed halfway.

Changed to a Pentax 50-200mm to see if the problem persisted. It did. Switched back to the 50mm I'd been using and it no longer worked.

Ran through the following troubleshooting steps:

- Put in a freshly charged battery.
- Cleaned the body/lens contact rings with deionized water and a lint-free cloth.
- Turned the camera off and let it sit, then turned it on.
- Swapped out SD cards in case the write prevention was flaky.
- Turned things like Auto/Sel, AF.S/AF.C, and stabilization on and off.

None of them solved the issue. And the odd thing is, the entire shutter release mechanism works when no lens is attached.

Any idea why my K-10D is acting up? What could I have done wrong?

12-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try allowing the aperture ring via the menu and shooting with your 50mm as if it were a manual lens. If it works, then odds are your camera is failing to properly read the automatic lens information, and it'll likely need to be sent in. That's just a guess, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, Adam.

I don't know if your "works" meant "works exactly as it did before" or simply "takes pictures." I went into Menu > Using Aperture Ring > 2 Permitted, and now the camera is working exactly as it did before — that is, it's autofocusing and doing everything else.

The only thing I notice being a bit strange is the exposure meter that tells you if a shot is going to be too dark or too light. It seems to be really jittery.

Do you think this is still an indication that the camera is failing? [EDIT: Well, something is definitely wrong, because going back to Using Aperture Ring > 1 Prohibited resulted in the K-10D shutter problems again.]

Last edited by nostartnoend; 12-04-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts
12-06-2011, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
A follow-up: The problem stemmed from a grounding wire that had broken in the camera's lens mount.

As for my experience with Pentax, they didn't respond to the inquiry I submitted online, and when I grew impatient and called, they wanted a minimum of $150 to fix the problem. So that would have totaled outbound shipping costs to the facility in AZ + at the very least $150 for repair, or failing that, outbound shipping costs + $12 return just for a diagnosis. I brought it across town and got it fixed within 24 hours for $65; his diagnosis was free.

On the negative side, I can't say I was wowed by Pentax's customer service or its rates in this matter. On the plus side, I found an excellent camera repairman in the Spokane area who I'd be happy to recommend to other Pentaxians.