Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Manual lens K200d

I recently tried using a manual lens on my K200d, but it would not operate at all, as the blurp states I can use any Pentax lens I know there must be something simple to fix this. The shutter will not click at all, the apperture just reads as lines, any help appreciated.

Also, what is the best way to focus a manual lens, is it to watch the green light or is there a better way? I n=know on my film camera you lined up the split focal points and I always had a sharp image.

Thanks

12-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in the settings menu you need to enable use of aperture ring

these 2 threads have all the answers to get you going BTW

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What specific "manual" lens and camera/mode are you referring to -- manual auto-focus, manual exposure?

For starters, there's pertinent info in the Pentax manual for your specific camera and in the Articles Forum and Beginner's Forum here:

Pentax Lens Articles - PentaxForums.com

and here

Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A - PentaxForums.com

You'll find such items as that use of the manual aperture ring must be configured in the camera menu and that the shutter may not fire if Auto Focus mode is selected and focus is not attained.

H2
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been using a Sears 80-200 manual lens, a Kalimar 28-105 and a Pentax 50 1.7 with my K200D. The Kalimar and Pentax have the A setting, the K200D will show the F stop with those when set they are set to A. The Sears is all manual. You have to set aperture permitted in the C settings. The camera will not show the F stop when using these in manual, it will only show F---, because you set the aperture yourself. You can hit the green button and it will set the proper shutter speed for the aperture selected, then all you need to is focus and shoot. If you want to manually set the shutter, just hold the DOF on the shutter release and the exposure comp meter will tell you if you need to go + or - to get the right exposure. To do this you must have optical preview set in the C settings.

bluestringer

12-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks eddie, I changed the aperture ring settings and it works fine now and have learnt a lot about the green button! By the way, I'm just down the QEW from you in St Catharines.

Pacer, the main lens is a Pentax 50mm f2 that I got with my film camera ay back when! B&H had an ad about maual lenses and I figured why pay 500.00 bucks when I've already got one, but focusing seems to be a bit akward, even when using manual focus on my auto lenses.

Hi Bluestringer, I tried to find an adjustment for 'Optical preview' but couldn't see anything, can you be a little more specific, thanks
12-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks eddie, I changed the aperture ring settings and it works fine now and have learnt a lot about the green button! By the way, I'm just down the QEW from you in St Catharines.

Pacer, the main lens is a Pentax 50mm f2 that I got with my film camera ay back when! B&H had an ad about maual lenses and I figured why pay 500.00 bucks when I've already got one, but focusing seems to be a bit akward, even when using manual focus on my auto lenses.

Hi Bluestringer, I tried to find an adjustment for 'Optical preview' but couldn't see anything, can you be a little more specific, thanks
Haven't been down to St kitts in a while. I come down for the Hot Rod Hootenanny (and car show ) most years

If you're looking for more manual lenses i have some up un Toronto craigslist ( Nothing special though)
12-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Number 18 in the C custom settings. It will say Preview Method, and there are 2 choices, digital and optical. The default is digital.

bluestringer

12-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Haven't been down to St kitts in a while. I come down for the Hot Rod Hootenanny (and car show ) most years

I was there this year, some intesting photo ops.

If you're looking for more manual lenses i have some up un Toronto craigslist ( Nothing special though)
I won't be buying any lenses for a while, part of the economic down turn!
12-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Number 18 in the C custom settings. It will say Preview Method, and there are 2 choices, digital and optical. The default is digital.

bluestringer
O/k, got it now, when I press the green button in manual exposure, the speed changes to the rcomended setting and stays there untill I reset it.

Thanks
12-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I won't be buying any lenses for a while, part of the economic down turn!
that would be why i'm selling a few off
12-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi, I use a couple of MF lenses on my k200d and have found the catch in focus setting really handy, it wont take the image unless its in focus. I think you can activate it in the c settings.
12-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I have a Pentax a 50 f/1.7.
I think it's a silly thing not to enable all focus points with A lenses. That would be nicer in order to use the "catch in focus" setting and would allow easier composition.
I've been looking for a way to fix it, unsuccessfully.
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fourfivesix Quote
Hi, I use a couple of MF lenses on my k200d and have found the catch in focus setting really handy, it wont take the image unless its in focus. I think you can activate it in the c settings.
catch in focus is easy to turn on and off with manual lenses, no need to go into the menues.

the AF switch on the front of the camera has 3 positions, C, S, and M

M= Manual and also retracts the AF drive
C = continuous, and the shutter will trip regardless of focus confirmation
S - Single and the sutter will only trip if focus confirmation is there.

I use my MF lenses with AF enabled all the time. if I want catch in ficus i switch it to S
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
catch in focus is easy to turn on and off with manual lenses, no need to go into the menues.

the AF switch on the front of the camera has 3 positions, C, S, and M

M= Manual and also retracts the AF drive
C = continuous, and the shutter will trip regardless of focus confirmation
S - Single and the sutter will only trip if focus confirmation is there.

I use my MF lenses with AF enabled all the time. if I want catch in ficus i switch it to S
Hi Lowell, I think I'm missing something here. On my k200d there is a switch just below the raw button the has Mf & AF, is there another switch or a way to control this?

Thanks.

Tuggie
12-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

On the K200D, just put the switch in the AF position. Assuming it is otherwise set up for manual lenses, you are now in catch in focus mode - press shutter button, picture won't be taken until something is in focus.