Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-7 cracked viewfinder -- help

My K-7 suddenly has a cracked viewfinder. I have no idea how as there has been no impact and it was safely stored -- just picked it up and there it was. Surprisingly, it has no effect on usage as you cannot see it when holding it up to your eye.

Anybody ever replace one of these things? I'm hoping I can just get the part and swap it out. If you take off the eyecup there is a screw on each side, but I'm not sure whether I can just pop it out or what.

CRIS has already confirmed that the warranty won't cover it, so I'm contacting the parts dept -- just wondering if I'll be able to do this before I start messing with it. Anyone know?

12-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doubt it will be difficult.
I've cracked a +3 diopter in my bag before. just takes the right small impact these aren't thick pieces of glass
Doubt the part is too expensive either (though it may not be a stock item)
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Had the same issue with the K20D, I think it was caused by the OM magnifier that transmitted impact on the viewfinder. Anyway I had to send it for repair; costed 100 euros.
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Had the same issue with the K20D, I think it was caused by the OM magnifier that transmitted impact on the viewfinder. Anyway I had to send it for repair; costed 100 euros.
I had used a Tenpa magnifier previously but had taken it off a couple of days before this happened. I was planning on selling the body but will have to take care of this first now. It does look like a stress fracture rather than something hitting it. I must have gotten a small crack started from the magnifier that suddenly expanded. I do remember putting some pressure onto it when screwing the magnifier thing into its socket. Apparently should have done that off the camera. Oh well -- now I will know to be extra careful as I plan on using the magnifier on the K-5. I contacted the parts warehouse, we'll see. (CRIS actually told me to just get the part from them so hopefully I can.)

12-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Little late to the game but... just got K7 back from C.R.I.S., Send it in about 3 weeks ago or there about, for a busted! not just cracked, view-finder, caused by a fall.
Got it back today, parts $25.00, labor $75.00 and shipping $12.00.
It is back to being weather-sealed again. I think the turn a round was reasonable and so was the cost.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-12-2011 at 04:13 PM.
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, it looks like I wouldn't be able to do it anyway as it apparently requires disassembly of the whole top section, so I'll have to send it in. Plus the Pentax parts lady at the warehouse refuses to respond to my calls or emails. Haven't some people gotten focusing shims from her with no trouble? (Which I'm going to want soon.) Can't even get a response.
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don`t know about the shims.
The 7 I sent in took a nasty fall. I could feel air blowing from the VF when zooming. It also had broken glass floating around inside the VF.