Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

K20D sensor issue, whats it worth?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So i have had a K20D for a few years and its tought me everyting I know. Recently while shooting a buddies concert the images started looking a little strange. The left side of every image is purple and also has a line through it. Its the same with every SD card so I figure the sensor is toast.

here are a couple sample images:

ISO 100

ISO 3200

ISO 1600 over editing to show the issue

so what do you guys think? I have since moved on and am now using a KX which I love. So I am looking to sell the K20D...I have a few batterys a couple chargers and a pentax grip for it.

-Nigel

12-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably won;t get much for a busted body...maybe sell it "for parts".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Probably won;t get much for a busted body...maybe sell it "for parts".
thats what i was thinking... slim chance tho
12-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That sucks, is the same thing happening with both jpeg and raw files?

You could market it as for parts/hip built-in cross processing technique.

12-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you look closely at the first two images that you supplied, you will notice a horizontal line running most of the the way across them just a little above the halfway point of the image. I have had two sensors do this on my K20 and am told that this is one of the hallmarks of a failed sensor. Fortunately for me, the camera was still covered by the extended warranty so all it cost me was one way shipping to C.R.I.S. in Arizona and some time. I don't know what the actual cost of the repair would be, but it might well be worth asking them on line before you make a decision one way or the other, I'm pretty sure that you can get a free quote on the repair pretty easily.

Good luck with it,

Ed Green
12-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax K10D Digital SLR Manual Focus | eBay

A hybrid perhaps ? I have no idea if a good camera could be made of the two, but they do share a lot of components.
12-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just for the sake of comparison, I use this site to estimate some repair costs.

I pulled up the K20D, and selected "Image Sensor Service" - the detailed information pop-up says:

Choose this repair if you are having any of the following symptoms
  • Horizontal/vertical lines in the image
  • Pictures show discoloration (purple/pink/green)
  • Error "OX58"
Price comes up with $303.00

Deprecated Browser Error

12-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The question then becomes what is your K20D worth to you. It should come back repaired, cleaned and refurbished to factory specs, ready to go. If you can have if done for $300, you certainly can't replace it for that, and in its present condition you are unlikely to get a lot for it.

AND, IMHO, the k20 is still a he** of a camera.
12-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's kind of like the same situation if the transmission goes out of your car - do you sell it as is for parts with a huge loss, or do you replace the transmission and drive it for a couple more years.

I agree that the K20D is a fabulous camera - if I were in a situation where I was not going to upgrade soon or couldn't afford an upgrade (to a K-5 for example), the $300 would be worth it as I could expect years of continued service from it.
01-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #10

i have 20D too and it has the problem of sensor when long exposure(around 30 seconds) for night scene , it shows five obvious black spots(it won't show when take normal shot at day time) on the upper side of the photo which i shot. My friends was using Nikon D5100 and his camera had very good control of noise. I didn't found out the problem that you had, as i seldom take high ISO photos but i think the samsung sensor is not good at noise control, especially which had been used in K20D and K-7.