Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So sounds like it depends on the camera model.

12-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The aperture sound is pretty quiet, the mirror is loud. There is no mistaking the two. But since you have a K-x, there is also no separating them. The K-x, for some unknown reason, always flips the mirror when doing stop down metering. Most models don't do that, so indeed, all you'd hear is the soft swoosh of the aperture stopping down, but the K-x gives you a very loud clunk.
Is this true? Good grief, I would never have thought stop down metering in M mode would cause K-x to behave this way, given that the other models that came both before and after do not do so. Looking at hawk232's experience with his K-x, it doesn't seem to occur with every K-x body either, I am going to have to borrow my niece's K-x and see if the mirror flops on hers or not. In the meantime, my apology to Boriscleto, it would never have occurred to me that the mirror flop on K-x is the norm and not the exception.
12-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I've never heard that about the K-x before, either. It's surprising, considering how functionally similar the K-x and K-r are. I'm not prepared to come out and say "this is wrong", but it does bear further testing.
12-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I've never heard that about the K-x before, either. It's surprising, considering how functionally similar the K-x and K-r are. I'm not prepared to come out and say "this is wrong", but it does bear further testing.
The K-x is actually closer to the K-m than the K-r. It's easier to list the differences than similarities. The K-x has a Green Button, CMOS sensor, movie mode and a few more in-camera filters. That's about it. The K-r has the same sensor but it also includes a number of hardware improvements. Better LCD, focus points etc.

12-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-x is actually closer to the K-m than the K-r. It's easier to list the differences than similarities. The K-x has a Green Button, CMOS sensor, movie mode and a few more in-camera filters. That's about it.
Speaking of the K-m, it also has no live view, no ISO boost, and 5 focus points with a weird all or nothing implementation (you can only choose center, or auto 5, not select any one of the other 4). When taken with the differences you mentioned, I don't see too many similarities (especially when you count all the standard improvements like shutter speed, colour depth, dynamic range, etc).

The K-r, on the other hand, has all the same features as the K-x, with a few improvements. A couple extra focus points, larger screen, a stop better on ISO, but nothing is fundamentally missing on the K-x that appears in the K-r. When it comes to behaviour of the mirror assembly and such, I'd expect the fundamental changes like accommodating Live View, video and the very different focusing system to have more impact on its design.
12-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I tested it in my K-x and M 50 lens just now, and nope I don't hear the mirror flopping when I push the green button. It does darken for a while, like "blinking an eye" but not as if you're taking a shot. I did it several times, and did several attempts on Mirror Up (the sensor cleaning mode) to check the sound. The mirror flop does have an audible difference versus the aperture flicking.

I stand corrected, the sound was deceptive. I checked it through the lens, yes the mirror does flip up when the green button/+- button is pressed.

Last edited by Alizarine; 12-07-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added info, wish there's a strikethrough text option!
12-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Speaking of the K-m, it also has no live view, no ISO boost, and 5 focus points with a weird all or nothing implementation (you can only choose center, or auto 5, not select any one of the other 4). When taken with the differences you mentioned, I don't see too many similarities (especially when you count all the standard improvements like shutter speed, colour depth, dynamic range, etc).

The K-r, on the other hand, has all the same features as the K-x, with a few improvements. A couple extra focus points, larger screen, a stop better on ISO, but nothing is fundamentally missing on the K-x that appears in the K-r. When it comes to behaviour of the mirror assembly and such, I'd expect the fundamental changes like accommodating Live View, video and the very different focusing system to have more impact on its design.
The K-m and K-x have exactly the same dimensions, weight is slightly different, rear button function is slightly different. They use all the same accessories. The LCD is exactly the same, the K-x can use AV+- to stop down in M mode with KM lenses, the primary differences are in the electronics. The AF system and processing engine came directly from the K7. The Live View functionality is also lifted from the K7. I've always thought that the engineers at Pentax were a bit lazy and just copy-pasted some of the K7 firmware code into the K-m firmware for the K-x.

The K-r has an entirely new body and the engineers had an extra year to work on the firmware.
12-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Hmm, then perhaps there is a setting you found that others don't know about? Because it was pretty unaminous from K-x owners when it came out that the the stop down metering did a mirror flip as well, and the one I played with definitely did that. Totally put me off ever considering the camera. Maybe it has something to do with live view? Or a matter of which button you have configured to do the metering?

12-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter

If you remove the lens, short the contacts, press the green button or av+-, you can clearly see the mirror flipping.
12-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
guys, whether the kx is closer to km or kr has NOTHING to do with the post... kr people think theirs is better, kx pull for theirs, and km people, theirs. it is totally irrelevant as to whether the mirror in a kx actually flips or not!! cant we all just get along?!?!? lol

if anyone wants i can take a video with my iphone of the sound that the camera makes, but it is without a doubt an audible sound, not just a quite whisp!! if this is normal than so be it, if its not i would like to see about fixing it!
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't think anybody was 'fighting'. Just passionate about the subject.

And from boriscleto's and marc's posts, I do believe you Just never knew it.