Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah I should have mentioned "3rd party" WR lenses.. but thanks for the info there sir.

12-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Ah I should have mentioned "3rd party" WR lenses.. but thanks for the info there sir.
AFAIK, Sigma has only now started to offer such feature in their lenses. And I'm still unsure how "WR" a "splashproof" lens is supposed to be. Note that Sigma is the largest third party DSLR lens mftr today and they also led in the introduction of optical stabilization and silent focusing motors. So the situation in Canon/Nikon land as far as 3rd party support is concerned is not better than for Pentax - and it cannot be, because WR was a feature reserved for high-end cameras until just recently. It's probably not a coincidence that Sigma is introducing these designs at a time where Canon and Nikon also introduced more affordable WR bodies.
12-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
AFAIK, Sigma has only now started to offer such feature in their lenses. And I'm still unsure how "WR" a "splashproof" lens is supposed to be. Note that Sigma is the largest third party DSLR lens mftr today and they also led in the introduction of optical stabilization and silent focusing motors. So the situation in Canon/Nikon land as far as 3rd party support is concerned is not better than for Pentax - and it cannot be, because WR was a feature reserved for high-end cameras until just recently. It's probably not a coincidence that Sigma is introducing these designs at a time where Canon and Nikon also introduced more affordable WR bodies.
Hmm, good point. Sales of bodies should come first to screen demand for incorporation of third-party lens features. This is a good start I think, since upper-level Pentax users with the K-10/20/200/7/5 will benefit much once WR versions of popular lenses come out. Hopefully Tamron and others come up with WR versions too to keep prices down!