Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #16

Original Poster
Sorry to be bumping this up, but I have been reading a lot on the K-x. (apparently the only upgrade from a k20d that uses AA without a handel grip). This thread kinda sums it up:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/123861-refurb-k20d-vs-new-k-x.html
It sounds like the rockstar sturdiness and user interface on the k20d was not included in the K-x.
Is the image quality that much better?
I will admit in low light the k20d was crap, I am longing for an improvement. Is it THAT much better. The tread i linked to makes me think not.

(still saving....)

12-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
...I have been reading a lot on the K-x. (apparently the only upgrade from a k20d that uses AA without a handel grip)...
Ohh no wait,
Elho_cid pointed out that both the K-x and K-r are possible because the Kr takes the little AA cage thing without a handle grip.
But if i am having a hard time finding the K-x cheap i assume the K-r is going to be even harder.
12-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick question. What battery charger are you using with eneloops? I've seen people try to charge eneloops with a plain generic charger in fact I tried one myself early on. They don't charge eneloops to their full capacity. I recommend either the Sanyo charger that you can buy with eneloops or a good Maha or LaCrosse. Both the Maha & Lacrosse have good reputations. Just a suggestion.
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Quick question. What battery charger are you using with eneloops?
LaCrosse BC-9009

12-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #20

Original Poster
OK. I feel like a doofus.

I read that entire thread, and linked you all to it, bumping this up, and just realized that it was about the k20d not the k200d (the one I was planning to have fixed). sorry. And if memory serves the k20d was fancy smancy compared to the k200d.

I pondered editing it to say something profound and erase evidence of that mistake but I am drawing a blank.

But, since it was bumped...
those of you that have owned both the k200d and either the k-x or k-r... your opinions are appreciated about what i might miss by not fixing the old one or what i might miss by not upgrading.

Last edited by cadmus; 12-27-2011 at 08:17 AM.
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-x or K-r, but the K200 had the top LCD and weather-sealing. It really depends if you need > 400 (maybe to a less extent, > 200) iso.

The K10/K20 are larger/heavier cameras, not even considering the AA issue.

Paul
12-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
Emperor and Senpai

If you can live without weather sealing then I'd grab a used Kx. I bought mine used with VERY low clicks, 246 was the shutter count on it AFTER I took a few pictures, and only paid 450 for it with the 18-55 kit lens back in June 2010. Since then I've bought more lenses and put 5000 or so clicks on it, and not a problem with it at all.
12-29-2011, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is much louder than the K200D. This is exacerbated when used with fully manual lenses, sicne the K-x for some strange reason insists on flipping the mirror just to do stop down metering. These disadvanages outweigh the approximately half stop advantage in low light performance for my purposes (concert photography). The weather sealing would be tough to give up, too, even though I don't advantage of it that often. For me, the K-x would be one step forwards but two steps back. Others with different priorities might find it otherwise.

But if your primary concern is low light performance, I'd recommend shooting RAW and experimenting with different software before giving up on the K200D. It's capable of quite good results to the equivalent (push processed) of ISO 6400, as any number of images I have posted in the high ISO thread will attest. Any I'm not talking about any complex processing - just a basic conversion using with a simple NR preset in one's normal RAW processing software (I use ACDSee Pro, results at least as good can be obtained with Lightroom).