Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #1

Do I fix my k200d?

I got a k200d off ebay march/april of 2011. It did the double shutter release many of this forum threads has mentioned. It didn't do it a lot at first. But after i left on a trip to Alaska, it did it all the time, after only 10 shots, not just when the batteries were getting low. It also NEVER got the 500 photos out of a set of eneloops that everyone claimed. 200 best. 100 normal. After the double click thing happened 90% of the time i sent it in and repairs and the bill will be $250. I have no idea if there is a warranty on that work but i will ask.

While it worked it was a great camera.

in your opinion
Is it worth fixing?

Keep in mind, I do not and will not have the money to buy another body for a few (5) years. I will not have the money to repair this one for a few months (3-8).

12-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the body already had something wrong with it when you bought it. If the cost to repair it is $250, then buy a used K10D for that amount instead

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can get a used K-x for about $300... (There is one on sale for $290, body only.) Much better ISO than the K200D.
12-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like the body already had something wrong with it when you bought it. If the cost to repair it is $250, then buy a used K10D for that amount instead
Thanks for the suggestion,

I can not own a k10d as it does not use AA batteries. I am shooting pentax for this reason, they care enough about adventurers to make cameras that run on AA. I travel too much and am in wilderness settings for too long to rely solely on rechargeables, but this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

I an not apposed to buying used, I am used to having to buy used everything. But i kinda wonder: is it better to stick with the problems i KNOW i have in my k200d or better to risk UNKNOWN problems with yet another used body?

But good to know one can find k10ds for <250.

Last edited by cadmus; 12-07-2011 at 10:14 PM.
12-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
You can get a used K-x for about $300... (There is one on sale for $290, body only.) Much better ISO than the K200D.
Thanks, Where, Can you pm me the link to the one you are referring to?

Yeah, the image was crap with an ISO above 200. maybe that is why it was called the k200d? hehe

Last edited by cadmus; 12-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.
12-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here it is:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/167797-sale-k-x-body.html
I'm afraid it's a bit too late though.
You can go to the Buy/Sell section and use the "Search this thread" function to look for other deals.

I had the K200D before buying the K-x. The difference in ISO performance is huge.

Ask sellers to tell you the shutter count of the camera they sell--I wouldn't buy anything that has more than 20,000 actuations, no matter how cheap they sell it. Below 20,000, it's a matter of price.
12-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
I am sorry, I should have assumed you meant the classifieds on this website.

I see it now. Yeah, 18k is a little high.

My k200d had <6k, only 5k when I got it.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
...I had the K200D before buying the K-x. The difference in ISO performance is huge.
The bad images at >400 definitely bothered me. Dusk was often too dark without a tripod (not useful on a boat) on the k200d... but it was the best time to take photos with film. Glad it is solved with the newer versions. I will keep an eye out for a kx.

Last edited by cadmus; 12-07-2011 at 10:26 PM.
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K-x has 26k shutter clicks and is still going strong. It's not for sale though. I don't think cameras that are used frequently (in conditions that aren't extreme though) will have any more problems than ones sat in cupboards for months at a time.
12-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was at ~40000 exposures with my K10D when I replaced it with K-5. Not a single problem with that camera. I believe the e-bay seller was knowingly offering damaged camera. There are few other options going adventuring with AA powered weatherproof camera, for example putting AA to a K-5 grip. But that costs a lot...
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
...There are few other options going adventuring with AA powered weatherproof camera, for example putting AA to a K-5 grip. But that costs a lot...
ohh, so the k5 needs an entire grip to run AAs? I thought it was just a little AA cage that fit into the battery slot. Too bad, grips take up alot of space and would not fit in the hard case holster that i made.

Man, I just feel like such a dip being duped I would hate to be duped again. More important, I blew the opportunity to take photos on that last trip. I almost could deal with the lower performance of my k200d if i knew it would work... but i don't think there is any guarantee that it will be 100% fixed after being repaired here?
12-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Tha AA battery cage is only an option for the K-r. Not for the K-5, which uses different battery.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on CRIS, I never dealt with them. But they are an official service provider for Pentax, they must know how to repair a K200D.
12-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the help elho_cid, twitch, causey, Adam and others,

That camera only lasted 1 month or 2 before the double shutter clicking grew from 1% of the time to 90% of the time. I payed $400 and it came with the kit lens and a sigma 70-300. So i guess i only paid 200-175 for the body. I have been bit by ebay more than not. Maybe i should learn my lesson. What is the track record on the k200d anyway? (I am guessing the seller knew it was coming)
I don't have $250 to fix it but will start saving, maybe next semester. In the mean time I will keep looking for a k-x while saving. That means I will be without a camera, which I often need for my thesis work, but that is life.

Rather than me asking "what to do" i will break it down and do some risk assessment CBA from your responses:

1-what is more risky camera to own: a used (low count) k5 camera from random sellers on ebay or my k200d that was bought used off ebay but recently repaired after double exposing my photos?
2-What is more risky: a refurbished camera or a used camera?
( i am guessing referbs are pretty sound right)
3-how much more risky is a referbed k-x than a new k-x?
(this is the less obvious answer)
4-what is the likelihood of me finding some post x-mas refurbished k-x bodies online? Where should I look? and what do you think they would go for?

One would think, with all those very ugly colors, you would find many deals on k-x's... I don't care what color it is.
on a random note....woot had a surprising number of Pentax DSLR deals? go figure? but none are body only.

Last edited by cadmus; 12-11-2011 at 08:39 PM.
12-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
1-what is more risky camera to own: a used (low count) k5 camera from random sellers on ebay or my (low count) k200d that was bought used off ebay but recently repaired after malfunctioning?
2-What is more risky: a refurbished camera or a used camera?
( i am guessing referbs are pretty sound right)
3-how much more risky is a referbed k-x than a new k-x?
(this is the less obvious answer)
4-What is the likelihood of me finding some post x-mas refurbished k-x bodies online? Where should I look? and what do you think they would go for?
I am adding a question to my apparently overwhelming questions in the last post:

5-How long can I fairly expect the repair facility to hold my k200d without being rude? I need some time to save the $250 repair fee. (or make a decision about upgrading.) I, honestly, was not planning on it being that much and would not have sent it if I had known.

Last edited by cadmus; 12-16-2011 at 07:32 AM.
12-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Banned

Put your money in a different camera.
12-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kind of a tough choice. The repair will probably come with a 90 day warranty, and usually they will check everything out and return the camera to original specs. At least that's what they did with my K 10 when it failed. It also got full cleaning, which on its own is a $70 cost. The camera itself is still viable, technically and from a performance standpoint. If you get another used body, it could fail similarly so you may be out the cash and another repair charge. That is the risk of buying used.