Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Are the 240Hz TVs out already? I hear that they are twice as good as the 120Hz TVs!

I crack myself up sometimes!
Im waiting for the 480Hz TV's!

12-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Camera makers are no different from anyone else is what I was trying to say. People will choose a 240hz tv over a 120 hz one without knowing what it means. Numbers do count for some people and every manufacturer plays the game. I would not expect Pentax to break that mold.
That's not really a good analogy, since the refresh rate of a TV is an honest, useful specification, and if a manufacturer says their TV is 120hz, then the TV picture actually does refresh 120 times a second. What Pentax (and pretty much all the other camera makers) are doing is providing an artificially inflated number for the resolution on their LCD screens by counting red, blue, and green dots separately.

To go back to the TV analogy, this would be like if the TV manufacturers started advertising their refresh rates in decihertz (10 to the -1 Hz...thanks Wikipedia!) so that their 120hz TV would now be....an amazing 1200 dHz!!!

I think a better analogy would be how stereo equipment is sometimes advertised using the peak Watts, instead of continuous power. This kind of under-handed marketing is especially prevalent among the cheaper, less-reliable, brands of audio equipment. Which is why I'm disappointed to see reputable camera makers using a similar tactic with their high-end cameras.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 12-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
12-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #18

While the methods are disagreeable, all it takes is a dab of knowledge and the issue goes away altogether.

In any case, comparing apples to apples (dots to dots in this case) is good enough. I get the knowledge that I need -- there is more resolution on X camera's screen than on Y camera's screen.
For anything more specific it isn't hard to figure out.
12-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #19

marketing hype

I'm sure we all have a gripe with marketing speak - it is interesting to know that a 921k screen is really only a 307k screen but I do know that it is better than a 70k screen.

Once one manufacturer inflates the truth, the others have to follow or they will lose ground. Does any of this stuff get taught at University -"Marketing Hype Speak 101 - a semester course on how to inflate the truth so that stupid consumers are taken for a ride, over and over again"?

Today we can talk about a 'Recyclable Resource Engineer' when we mean a garbage scavenger. So what's wrong with misleading Joe Consumer?

Caveat Emptor is alive and well and seeing that the Romans had a term for it, it is apparently a standard human greed motive that has been around as long as since Cain coveted what Abel had.

So long as we keep a level head, we should not be fooled.... too much!

And next time you fall for Mother's day and Father's day, keep this in mind.

12-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
About what? Do you figure that screen resolution is often the deciding factor in whether somebody buys the Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or Sony DSLR?
As it happens, the hi-res screen along with the focus assist light is exactly why I selected a K-r over similarly priced cameras from Nikon or Canon. It's also why I didn't go for the functionally near-identical K-x. 640x480 is a much more pleasant resolution to work at.
12-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
As it happens, the hi-res screen along with the focus assist light is exactly why I selected a K-r over similarly priced cameras from Nikon or Canon. It's also why I didn't go for the functionally near-identical K-x. 640x480 is a much more pleasant resolution to work at.
Exactly, and for the same reason I was also thinking of upgrading to the K-r. But due to the deceptive way they rate the screen, I was under the impression that the K-r screen would have displayed full 720p resolution. I would have been disappointed if somebody here had not filled me in. My main point is that they should give us the actual resolution in a straight-forward manner.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 12-15-2011 at 07:55 PM.
12-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I think you meant Quarter VGA (QVGA)
Yup you are right- it's somewhere in-between! The marketers got me!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: