Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K10D...Get proper exposure by...bracketing

Exposure Bracket Mode

One undeniable way to get properly exposed pictures is to bracket the exposure. Bracketing is described as taking several shots of the same subject with variable ex*posure settings ranging from underexposed to overexposed frames. The term “frames” comes from the film camera era and can be replaced with the word “files” in the digital world we now live in. You can take three or more shots of the same subject with a different exposure setting for each shot. This increases the probability of getting a properly exposed picture significantly. Just think of what it can do for HDR photography!

The K10D even has a dedicated button just for bracketing. (Full story and "How-to" on my blog site. Pentax dslrs )

Please read the full post and come back here to leave your comments.

I really appreciate your visit,

Yvon Bourque

12-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

So I am sorry, but I just have to say something, isn't this just marketing for your ebook. I didn't realize this was a commercial forum.
12-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
So I am sorry, but I just have to say something, isn't this just marketing for your ebook. I didn't realize this was a commercial forum.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but no...it is not for marketing my books. Lord knows I'm not making money with my books and e-books. I have a website and also use Ebay for that.

This is a blog about Pentax in general and if you look at the content, I don't talk about the books. I have one little banner shared within about 18 Google AdSense. I have a hughe list of links to other blogs, galleries, forums, how to sell you photos, HDR photography and more. I have videos about Pentax and Photoshop, etc. All to help my fellow Pentaxians and other camera make owners.

The posts are mainly about Pentax equipment, How-to articles, and hopefully interesting subjects just like any other blogs posts. I know I have helped many entry-level photographers all over the world, and I know this by the amount of thank you emails I have received. I hope that you will return to the blog site and read my articles and perhaps leave your comments on the blog as well.

I do like comments, good or bad.

Thank you for sharing your point-of-view,

Yvon Bourque
12-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
guess the previous is just a sign of the times..........like your site alot.......some sensible, simple advice, and 'good ' photography to look at...i will revisit often....thansk for sharing........

12-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nothing new about auto bracketing (which is also available for the K100D/K100D Super).
12-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, Yvon is the author of that book, however his posts here are dedicated to help people with their photography.

If you have a photographic problem, and needed his advice I'm sure that he'd respond to either your post or a PM, which is really just suppling the same service.
12-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the articles, Yvon. Nothing new to me, but my wife, less skilled in photography, certainly enjoys anything like this she can find. And, since it would be extremely cumbersome to post the article itself in various forums, I think posting a link to a blog is the best option. Of course, since I'm available, my wife doesn't have to post questions in these threads. But others with questions would surely benefit from followup discussions in the forums. Keep up the good work.

By the way, as a follow-up to that article, you might want to discuss bracketing with the built-in or external flash and how that works (by adjusting flash levels, how to deal with recycling delays, etc).

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 12-20-2007 at 09:11 PM.
12-21-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

There's nothing wrong with someone promoting his blog and his e-book. He would be a fool not to.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to share his knowledge and help me be a better photographer. What's wrong with making a few coins in the process? Even communist China understand the need for private enterprise.

12-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Nothing new about auto bracketing (which is also available for the K100D/K100D Super).
You are right creampuff.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by not listing that the K100D did bracketing as well. Most DSLRs actually do. The major difference is that the K10D has a dedicated button for bracketing as with the K100D, you have to surf through menus, after using the Fn button. No, bracketing is not new, I have done it all my life with film cameras. What is new and interesting is that it can be accessed immediately with the dedicated button on the K10D.

Thank you for your comments,

Yvon Bourque
12-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Although I see how people can benefit from your blogs I kind of agree. Why do you make a post that I have to go to your blog then come back, why can't you just post the info in the thread too. I don't necessarily have a problem with you talking about your books, but it does seem like the threads I have seen that you start all focus us back there. Also, what is different from your books and the magic lantern series books? It seems like they would be about the same.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, actually I wish there was a better organized place to put tutorials and then you could just post all these little tidbits of information there and it would be easier for people to find, along with other tutorials people have to offer.
12-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #11

I recently purchased Yvon's book and have been reading it page by page with my camera nearby. Not being an expert with this camera, I have discovered many things that I didn't pick up in the owner's manual. What I thought was especially nice was the examples he gives for using some of the camera's features. There were some that I often wondered what it would be usefull for. Now I get it. There are things I thought I knew but found out that I didn't completely understand them.
I also have the Magic Lantern Guide but I have not read much of it. However, Yvon's book is spiral bound so it will lay flat on the table as I am working with the camera. Nice touch. Other books slam close on me and I have to put the camera down to reopen it and find my place. I'm very glad that I bought the book. The user's manual alone doesn't make it.

John
12-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm so sick of this - every f-ing forum I go to (not just pentaforums.com trust me!), there she is bleeding people for information so she can profit from it by selling it in her book.

The best advice is to not give her anything unless she's willing to cut you in on the profits. Period!

She's got the same crap going on at photo.net - right now actually!
12-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #13

Yvon Bourque is a male.
12-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Yvon Bourque is a male.
sure.. and?
12-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi all

I once tried bracketing with my DSLR. I unscrewed one from my bookshelf and attached it to the camera, but all that happened was that most of the books slid unceremoniously to the floor in a huge pile and made a terrible mess........

Best regards
Richard