Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you keep files straight with identical cameras?

Considering adding a second K10D. How do I keep those files from messing with the 1st K10D pics?
thanks
barondla

12-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

I rename my files to yymmdd_nnns, where 's' is "p" for my istD and "k" for my K10D.

I wrote a small program to rename the files, and merge the sequence numbers based on the time stamp.

Last edited by Ole; 12-21-2007 at 07:04 AM.
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In one of the cameras, change the numbering sequence to the date option. It will notch up the first 3 digits day by day. 101-0584 today 102-nnnn tomorrow.
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom! Import to files named subject name and date. Change/rename imported file names from sequence number to subject name+month-year+sequence number starting at 1.

I've got so many cameras they've become simple tools; i.e. I don't spend much time caring about EXIF data or sharing same. Once the image is in the computer, I couldn't care less which camera it came from or which scanner.

Each of my film bodies has it's own 'cheat' sheet taped to the back or bottom giving specific peculiarities of exposure, ex zone system EI etc.. The same info is in a spiral notebook stuffed in some bookshelf at home. My K10s actually have different accessories on the eyepiece and LCD and their 'corrections' are noted in a little moleskin notebook carried in a pocket of the camera bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Considering adding a second K10D. How do I keep those files from messing with the 1st K10D pics?
thanks
barondla

12-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If you are a RAW shooter, set one camera to AdobeRGB and the other to sRGB, that way you will get different file names and being RAW, you can then set to what ever colour space you want in the RAW conversion.
12-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
If you are a RAW shooter, set one camera to AdobeRGB and the other to sRGB, that way you will get different file names and being RAW, you can then set to what ever colour space you want in the RAW conversion.
Or perhaps one to PEF and the other to DNG?
12-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I never thought of that problem. If I use one camera at a time and upload the cards to different folders, it shouldn't matter if the numbers are the same right? Or will it? No problem there actually my current k10d has over 38,000 shots on it so the numbers of my next k10d shouldn't be in the same ballpark for a while.

12-21-2007, 02:08 AM   #8

If you just want to know afterwards by which camera the picture has been taken with you could check the "Internal serial number" in the exif data. There should be a different one for each of the two cameras. You can look this up with exiftool, also the program would be able to write this information into a different exif data field which most programs are able to display (like user comment).

Birdman
12-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Through all of this, I have been watching, and wondering when someone wopuld ask pentax to let people modify the first 4 characters of the file name.

As some have pointed out, they already let you do this when you change from RGB to Adobe color space, or to a limited extent by the change to date format which I had not considered.

Why not just have an option for naming them as you want?

Pentaxes response to date is that it would violate some form of standard for imaging, but, when you consider most people are re-naming the photos on thier computer any way, who cares about a standard?
12-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Through all of this, I have been watching, and wondering when someone wopuld ask pentax to let people modify the first 4 characters of the file name.
Its not a problem for me as i keep everything in date related folders, but this is one feature i like in my D2H and D200. I can rename the three letter pre fixes to what suits the photo shoot. I cannot see this as being a big deal to do.

Dave
12-21-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

For me, my Raw imports go into upload-based folders. Conversions are renamed to yymmdd-origfilename.

Only time I would have a conflict would be the day both cameras are shooting the same filename. Keeping the origfilename allows me to find the original Raw source file, after I archive it.

(I believe I got this idea from someone on this forum, so I can't take credit for it).
12-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #12

Well, it would be nice if Pentax allowed you to set up your naming conventions right in the camera...

For me, Pentax's file format didn't fit my ideas on how to administer an images database. I don't have a second camera, but I do batch renames of folders and files as they come straight out of the camera. Only takes a second, and you can rename them again in future if necessary when doing culling and detailed editing. Lots of different solutions will allow you to do that.
12-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Its not a problem for me as i keep everything in date related folders, but this is one feature i like in my D2H and D200. I can rename the three letter pre fixes to what suits the photo shoot. I cannot see this as being a big deal to do.

Dave
Dave

Normally that is not a problem for me either, except that the counter on my K10D is very close to the counter on the *istD, and I do use them both on the same day.

Also, although I like you, file everything by date for the master file, I have secondary file folders for subjects, These are a little riskier, since I can pull files from anywhere ionto that folder.

As I said earlier, I just keep e-mailing the complaint to Pentax (about monthly) on the hope that they will do something just to make me go away.

Perhaps if everyone in the formum did the same, they might just understand this is something useful.

I have even tried to shame them into doing this by saying nikon lets its user's do it.
12-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #14

thanks
barondla
I reset the counter on one of my K10Ds to be 4-5k higher than the other. That is, one camera will be on 1500 and the other will be on 6500. Just remember to NOT swap cards between bodies if there are any images on the card because the camera will start counting from the last image number. This is how I set the file number on the bodies (both intentionally and accidentally...)

For me, this is the most important part because when I shoot events, I will typically have one body set to shoot with a flash while the other is set to shoot available light and this makes my post processing work a little easier for me.
12-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks
barondla
I have a DS and the K10D. I have no problem since there are about 5000 more images on the DS than the K10D. Since I still use the DS fairly frequently, it's unlikely that the IMGP numbers will ever match, IMGP XXXX is DS and IMGPYYYY is K10D. Not hard to keep them separate. I also organize my folders by date and subject matter, so I will never have this problem

NaCl(that's my story and I'm sticking to it)H2O