Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The APSH for Pentax idea virtually originated with Ron here on the forums. Mostly it comes from the idea that Pentax is poor and can't afford to get in the FF game.
Well thanks for this credit. I should have brought it up for that (not so good) interview (since there is almost nothing in that interview). Well I think APS_H would be a great format for myself and Pentax.

When within Pentax no-one is even considdering APS_H that means to me that it is a company with limited creativity. Running into a tunnelvision where at the end there is a pot of gold and load of customers to buy that expensive FF camera.

12-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well thanks for this credit. I should have brought it up for that (not so good) interview (since there is almost nothing in that interview). Well I think APS_H would be a great format for myself and Pentax.

When within Pentax no-one is even considdering APS_H that means to me that it is a company with limited creativity. Running into a tunnelvision where at the end there is a pot of gold and load of customers to buy that expensive FF camera.
It's good that you don't run Pentax then

But in all fairness, were would those APS-H sensor come from?
12-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It's good that you don't run Pentax then

aside from the new Kodak CCD which means no video/Live view of course

I know lots has been said about being able to get anything made if you commit. I'm not sure an apsc would sell in numbers at Pentax that would meet the minimums needed to make it a cost effective option. FF cost is spread across Sony Nikon and Pentax if they use the rumoured 24mp Sony sensor. Who else will buy a samsung apsh to offset the development cost? Even if Canon launches another (unlikely it seems) not a chance in hell they will sell it to Pricoh
the APSH Kodak made is probably slated for Leica. they can price the camera at a ridiculous price to offset it after all it will be a leica and we know how they love to make inexpensive cameras.
12-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Could Ricoh not afford to do this themselves? They are seriously minted after all...

12-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Could Ricoh not afford to do this themselves? They are seriously minted after all...
Off course but will it be any good and for what price?
You also have the problem that Ricoh doesn't have the knowledge, patents and fabrication needed to even start making one, even forget about making one that can compete.
They are simply to late to start such a game, they might be able to work together with a sensor making company.
if they do that then i still doubt APS-H will be cheaper then FF, surely they might be cheaper to make but the development costs and the machinary needed also need to be paid. If the amount of production will be between ASP-C and FF then yes it would work but now by the looks of it they will sell even less then FF sensors.

I'm really not against APS-H, i rather have that then APS-C or FF since the size is just right i think although ASP-C isn't that bad either.
But i doubt it will be profitable unless the formatt catch on and i doubt it will.

Last edited by Anvh; 12-21-2011 at 01:54 AM.
12-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Off course but will it be any good and for what price?
Its my understanding that Ricoh have an obscene amount of cash... Enough that they could, if they so desired simply bully the competition out of the picture by producing something great and selling it near cost... A reduction in initail profit to gain a larger market share is not unheard of...
12-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Livanz Quote
Why not a medium sized APS-H senzor 18-21MP , wouldn't it be sufficient for professional image quality ? I bet it would , then there will be full compatibility with all K lenses , Limited and especially DA* lenses , the camera could be made more compact and cheaper and there is a huge gap in the market there , lots of advantages ...
And a second shutter trigger connected to the viewfinder so you could take the picture by blinking ( has to be activated by a dedicated button of course ) would help taking photos at incredible low shutter speeds , no other competitor offers that and it could replace shake reduction .
I'm for whatever works best. And so if APS-H works-out to be better than APS-C, then I say bring it on!
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Different approach to APS-H

Some discussion on another forum made me look at it different.

So I did take pictures at our National Swimming championships just some weeks ago.

Just one picture taken with K-5 and DA*300mm @f4 and 1/500th and iso4000

So I was working with 458mm FOV and f6 in DOF to FF and f4 in terms of light. at the cost of less then 2.000 euro.
I would like just a little more reach, so either having a 300mm/f2.8 with 1,4x TC or a 400mm/f4 lens would be great for this.

There was offcourse also a photographer with a full frame and a 400mm/f2.8 lens and a 1,4x TC (and 2x TC wich wasn't used due to the light).
So he was working at 400mm/f2.8 (he did used f4 for this setting) or 560mm/f4 at the cost of 12.000 euro

In image quality he is winning offcourse with his D3s setup. To bring down the gap in terms of imagequality and working possibillity there are more ways.
  1. Leave the gap to Canon/Nikon and do nothing.
  2. Make a new Full Frame K-1 Pentax camera and with that a new longer lens.
  3. Make an APS-H camera with a new lens to bring image quality to a hi level at reduced costs with a new DA*400mm/f4 lens.
  4. Wait a few years until APS-C camera's can brake that bridge and offer image quality that Full Frame can bring now.

An APS-H sensor (for wich I still like a large 4/3th sensor of the size of 28x21mm and 16 megapixel) with a DA*400mm/f4 (still very expensive) can give that next level of image quality at a very reduced cost.
So that would mean working with 514mm FOV and f5.1 in DOF to FF and f4 in terms of light. At the cost of less then 7.000 euro (I hope).

09-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Well not if Pentax would put it in the competition with other brands APS-C camera's. So new APS-H Pentax camera against Nikon D400 and Canon 7D Mark II.
Oh the golden oldy's. It took some years, but we still don't got a Full Frame and no APS-H in K-mount. The D400 is still waiting and finally the 7D Mark II got in.

My conclusion......Camera makers are not so fast moving...
09-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Oh the golden oldy's. It took some years, but we still don't got a Full Frame and no APS-H in K-mount. The D400 is still waiting and finally the 7D Mark II got in.

My conclusion......Camera makers are not so fast moving...
I would jump on a Pentax APS-H in a heartbeat. I think a 24 megapixel APS-H with similar performance to the K-3 would be a nice flagship model.
09-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #56

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I would jump on a Pentax APS-H in a heartbeat. I think a 24 megapixel APS-H with similar performance to the K-3 would be a nice flagship model.
I'd be interested. Not sure if this was covered elsewhere, but would the current DA and DA* lenses work with the APS-H sensor? I wouldn't buy if I had to get new lenses...
09-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I'd be interested. Not sure if this was covered elsewhere, but would the current DA and DA* lenses work with the APS-H sensor? I wouldn't buy if I had to get new lenses...
Well for wide angle there is still a need for new lenses. Most lenses from 35mm and up are okay.
09-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Zombie thread!!!
09-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Zombie thread!!!
No those are the threads about full frame
09-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #60
Pentaxian