Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #1

How about APS-H ?

Why not a medium sized APS-H senzor 18-21MP , wouldn't it be sufficient for professional image quality ? I bet it would , then there will be full compatibility with all K lenses , Limited and especially DA* lenses , the camera could be made more compact and cheaper and there is a huge gap in the market there , lots of advantages ...
And a second shutter trigger connected to the viewfinder so you could take the picture by blinking ( has to be activated by a dedicated button of course ) would help taking photos at incredible low shutter speeds , no other competitor offers that and it could replace shake reduction .

12-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
Forum Member

Any news or rumours from your post?
Urm..
12-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Netsoft Quote
Urm..
Indeed. Moved.
12-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What is your definition of professional image quality, and how did you come up with that definition? I know lots of professional photographers, most if not all of whom shoot with APS-C cameras. Are their images not professional based solely on the size of their camera's sensor?

Why does shake reduction need to be replaced, and how will triggering the shutter by blinking prevent the camera shake that naturally occurs simply by holding the camera (nobody can be absolutely still)?

12-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could support APS-H if it could be done for closer to the price of an APS-C camera than a FF camera. I feel that, in this digital age, traditional print sizes mean nothing unless a person is wanting to buy mattes in bulk. lol
12-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Livanz Quote
And a second shutter trigger connected to the viewfinder so you could take the picture by blinking ( has to be activated by a dedicated button of course ) would help taking photos at incredible low shutter speeds , no other competitor offers that and it could replace shake reduction .
The "blink shutter" is a good idea, but blinking can still cause some movement to be transmitted to the camera. Why not use the built-in mic on the camera to trigger the shutter to fire at specific sound. They could call it the "fart shutter", and nobody else would have it.

BTW, I do like the idea of an APS-H Pentax DSLR, assuming there is a real, tangible IQ advantage to be gained by the larger sensor, such as a significant improvement in low-light ability compared to the K-5 sensor.

If, on the other hand, the IQ advantage is small, then I think the larger sensor would be a disadvantage since it would reduce the effective reach of all my telephoto lenses, and would be more demanding of lenses by using glass closer to the edge, losing some of the APS-C "sweet spot" advantage, and increasing distortion.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 12-10-2011 at 12:27 PM.
12-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't really see the point of APS-H - it wouldn't be as decisively better as FF (the difference as narrowed with the latest gen of APSC sensors - mind you the next gen of FF sensors will probably see them leap ahead once more!) That leaves the issues of DOF and the focal length crop, which will never be as fully addressed by APS-H as by FF.

Why settle for a halfway house? We need a flagship camera to get really excited about.

12-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Unless of course if the production cost of APS-H is lower than FF, and easier to integrate into the similar APS-C body without major overhaul of body design; that perhaps may have some appeal to would be FF user.
12-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
The "blink shutter" is a good idea, but blinking can still cause some movement to be transmitted to the camera. Why not use the built-in mic on the camera to trigger the shutter to fire at specific sound. They could call it the "fart shutter", and nobody else would have it.
Good idea, but some would have higher fps than others...
12-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Are DA lenses compatible with APS-H ? Are they not too small ?
12-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

APS-H is a dead format. It only has 0.5 stops theoretical SNR (18%) advantage compared to APS-C. See Table 2:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/129754-comparison-sn...ml#post1347917

Too little, too late.

Dan.
12-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Netsoft Quote
Urm..
The rumour is that PF member RonHendriks would like to buy two of these camera's

Actually I would even prefer a large 4:3th of 28x21mm, but a large 3:2 would also be great. At 16 (or a bit less even) megapixel this would be a perfect camera for fastshooting and excellent Hi-iso performance.

A lot of DA lenses would work perfectly. Anything above 31mm is good to use, so there is still a need for wide-angle and zooms.
12-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Actually I would even prefer a large 4:3th of 28x21mm, but a large 3:2 would also be great.
Yes, that would be awesome. I really miss the 4:3 aspect ratio from my old Olympus e-510. The 3:2 ratio is just awkward in a lot of cases.
12-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
APS-H is a dead format. It only has 0.5 stops theoretical SNR (18%) advantage compared to APS-C. See Table 2:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/129754-comparison-sn...ml#post1347917

Too little, too late.

Dan.
Well not if Pentax would put it in the competition with other brands APS-C camera's. So new APS-H Pentax camera against Nikon D400 and Canon 7D Mark II.