Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Which camera's (currently in production) use APS-H?
Canon 1D Mk IV, - Propreitary Sensor
Leica M8.2 - Kodak CCD Sensor

note Kodak just announced a new CCD APSH sensor that will likely be in the new leica coming next year

12-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Livanz Quote
More on APS-C and APS-H cameras | Articles | Worx Gallery

Worth reading this , you'll be completely illuminated or plunged in total dakness ... My point was that an upgraded K-5 with a APS-H 20MP sensor should cost a lot less than a newly developped FF and there would be considerable improvement of the image quality . And the real professional photographers can afford Pentax 645 D to compete with top of the line Nikons and Canons and Sonys .
Good article, from a real life APS-H user that shares my interest for APS-H!
12-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am sure the 10-17 wouldn't work on APS-H.
I have tried the 10-17 on a FF film cam and I'm sure that with the hoodlet removed it would not vignette appreciably. But I haven't prised off the hoodlet to see, so that's just theoretical now.
12-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #34
Banned

I think in general that for FF and APS_H most of the wide-angle won't be that good performing. So for the current 14mm, 15mm, 21mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 16-45mm, 16-50mm, 17-70mm and 50-135mm there has to come something new to replace them. Even if some of these can be used.

12-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #35

Original Poster
There is , as "fstdslrkx" pointed out , the annoying problem of finding a suitable APS-H sensor ... If Samsung or Kodak would not develop a APS-H sensor just for the fun of it than renounce the shake reduction module , compensate it with a secondary "eye blinking shutter trigger" and use Sony 24MP FF in a K-5/K-7 chassi . You cannot have everything affordable at the same time and FF should be targetet at very advanced prosumers / professionals who know what a tripod looks like , as for the rest there already is an excellent affordable APS-C camera with SR , isn't there ?
12-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think in general that for FF and APS_H most of the wide-angle won't be that good performing. So for the current 14mm, 15mm, 21mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 16-45mm, 16-50mm, 17-70mm and 50-135mm there has to come something new to replace them. Even if some of these can be used.
or just include the auto mask like the nikon so they can while you build a FF glass collection
12-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Most DA's are fully usable on the APS-H format.
If that is true, that would be the only reason to go APS-H for me. Using the DA 15mm and 21mm limiteds on a bigger than APS-C sensor sounds tempting. However, I do not believe in that format and don't expect it to happen. Then again, I wasn't expecting FF Pentax either and now we have the first somewhat trustworthy rumors of such a beast.

12-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Then again, I wasn't expecting FF Pentax either and now we have the first somewhat trustworthy rumors of such a beast.
Lets pray the rumors your mentioned aren't true. Those are about FF EVIL, you know.
12-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Lets pray the rumors your mentioned aren't true. Those are about FF EVIL, you know.
I have no problem with that - as long as there's proper K mount support in some way or another.
12-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Erm... If the following is correct... I think I'm sold

So APS-H will work on both FA and DA AF lenses? (and all those other random K-mounters...)
It will make my existing lenses 'look' wider? (Though not as wide as on my 'ME 35mm' camera)
It will increase the level of control in terms of DoF to that of an APS-C?
It will be cheaper than FullFrame?
12-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Erm... If the following is correct... I think I'm sold

1. So APS-H will work on both FA and DA AF lenses? (and all those other random K-mounters...)
2. t will make my existing lenses 'look' wider? (Though not as wide as on my 'ME 35mm' camera)
3. It will increase the level of control in terms of DoF to that of an APS-C?
4. It will be cheaper than FullFrame?
Numbered the questions.

1. most will work but not all, problem lenses are the wider lenses.
2. yes, compared to APS-C they will look 15% wider in focal lenght (1.15x)
3. yes but not much
4. probably not because hardly anyone makes them, since there are more FF on the market you might be able to get one of those at almost the same price.

All in all i doubt it will be a succes story.
You will gain very little but you probably need to pay the full price so you might as well get FF at that point.
12-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Numbered the questions.

1. most will work but not all, problem lenses are the wider lenses.
2. yes, compared to APS-C they will look 15% wider in focal lenght (1.15x)
3. yes but not much
4. probably not because hardly anyone makes them, since there are more FF on the market you might be able to get one of those at almost the same price.

All in all i doubt it will be a succes story.
You will gain very little but you probably need to pay the full price so you might as well get FF at that point.
Not even a hint of an apsh in the interview with Kitazawa, but FF and MF were discussed. The APSH for Pentax idea virtually originated with Ron here on the forums. Mostly it comes from the idea that Pentax is poor and can't afford to get in the FF game. While this was true under Hoya who didn't even want the Camera division so just modeled it for sale, Ricoh is another story. They will spend dough to get what they want and they have it. REcently on the copier side the spent $1.6 Billion to acquire IKON in the US (who were one of Canon's bigger resellers) In the time since they have been replacing the canon with Ricoh.
Pentax cost them about 1/10th of that. even if they poured the same amount again into product development and production it would still be an inexpensive purchase in their world.
The interview with Kitazawa sounds like Ricoh are very open to ideas that at Hoya you couldn't even think about
12-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I know that about Ron.
APS-H was already deemed impractical because nobody makes them so i wonder why it come up again.

Also all that talk about mirrorless, i really hope that pentax stay pentax and provide us with a PENTA viewfinder.
The only camera i can see going mirrorless might be the 645D, the mirror box of that thing is huge... if that's gone they would have a camera the size of a NIkon D700 or Canon 5D but with a MF sensor, that would be so awesome for in the studio or for landscape work.
They shouldn't even bother with an EVF for that camera i think, it should have a tilt LCD so that you can tilt it up and use it like MF camera without the Penta on it and outdoors you just buy yourself a cloth and use it as a view camera. That would be so retro XD

Ricoh has already said this when they took over Pentax, so i can see them becoming quite active in that part certainly because their own core business is in that market.
-Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras

They also said this.
-Creation and development of value-added businesses such as making it easy to view, save and retouch photos.

Would something like a tehtering/editing app for iPad or Android tablet for the 645D not fit the bill? we can only hope right ^^

Last edited by Anvh; 12-20-2011 at 08:49 AM.
12-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I know that about Ron.
APS-H was already deemed impractical because nobody makes them so i wonder why it come up again.

Also all that talk about mirrorless, i really hope that pentax stay pentax and provide us with a PENTA viewfinder.
The only camera i can see going mirrorless might be the 645D, the mirror box of that thing is huge... if that's gone they would have a camera the size of a NIkon D700 or Canon 5D but with a MF sensor, that would be so awesome for in the studio or for landscape work.
They shouldn't even bother with an EVF for that camera i think, it should have a tilt LCD so that you can tilt it up and use it like MF camera without the Penta on it and outdoors you just buy yourself a cloth and use it as a view camera. That would be so retro XD

Ricoh has already said this when they took over Pentax, so i can see them becoming quite active in that part certainly because their own core business is in that market.
-Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras

They also said this.
-Creation and development of value-added businesses such as making it easy to view, save and retouch photos.

Would something like a tehtering/editing app for iPad or Android tablet for the 645D not fit the bill? we can only hope right ^^
a tethering app for the 645d should allow tethering of all the upper level cameras, but what a great idea that is.
12-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Lets hope then they made those comment with such app in mind, certainly in the studio where the 645D shines it would be great.
But also for upper level camera's like the k5 a tethering program would be nice, Pentax had promised to make one for the 645D but i haven't seen it yet...