Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #1

Another K10D vs. K100D super, advise please

OK, after months of research I think I have it narrowed down to two cameras; the K10D and the K100D Super.
Two things are steering me away from the K10D:

1. I have read two reviews on other websites where they talk about phantom pixels on the K10D. On one website they even show a couple of examples of those phantom pixels on real photos. Is this a common thing? The reports do say that they only appear on pictures with lots of vertical and horizontal lines, as in photos of buildings. I really am into photographing buildings, so I would hate to have these pixels appear on lots of my pictures, and they are very evident on larger prints. These reports where from early K10Ds. Does anyone know if Pentax has done anything to fix this?

2. The other thing that keeps me from buying the K10D is the "miss-alignment" of the view finder/sensor/body. Is this very noticeable?
Is it a real problem? Are most cameras affected by this regardless of brand?

I can only think of one thing that keeps me away from the K100D Super, and it's the lack of a full RGB histogram. How important is this? I used an SLR film camera years ago, until it got stolen and never replaced it. Of course it didn't have a histogram, and until I started researching DSLRs I didn't even know what they where. Some people on some websites make it sound like they are the greatest thing. All the reviews about the K100D super speak wonders of this little camera though.

I did go to a store and played with both cameras and loved the way both of them felt in my hands. I was leaning towards a Nikon D40, I thought that was my final decision, until I had the D40 and both Pentax cameras in my hands.

Thanks all very much in advance for your help

12-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there, and welcome to the forum...
First of all, forget the D40...
now to the business:
I own K100D. Two of them to be honest. It's the same as the Super you're considering but without SDM support, and antidust system. What reviews are writing about it is true. It's great camera. Frankly between it and K10D it all depends on what you want to do. K10D is great SLR, you're getting weather sealed body, more pixels to crop, bigger buffer, and most of the important things have controls placed on body. You also can get original battery grip! With K100D most things you control via menu, and you don't have weather seals (liitle splash or drizzle won't kill it hough - own experience). But: you get lighter, more compact body, with less mpx but better (reportedly) high ISO performance, better straight out of camera Jpgs (though if you know your way around K10D can match it, I believe) without fiddlings.
So it's really depends on what you want it for. For ocasional family pics or holiday pics in green mode: K100D is your winner. If you have the budget, and will to try all the settings K10D offers, then go for it. Either way, you can't go wrong. They're both great cameras...
12-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
hi
i recently bought a k100d super and my friend bought D40x..... we both took some pictures at a party a few weeks ago and believe me, my pics are way better than hers.....
thats for night shots only..... we never compared daytime shots tho......
also, i am buying really cheap used lenses on ebay and believe me my friend is so jealous since she cant buy any used nikon lenses coz all AFS lenses are so darn expensive..... i bought two lenses in 15-20$ range..... one 28-200mm for 60 bucks
btw if u buy k100d, better be prepared to play with wb coz its wb sucks and u have to set it manually everytime ur picture situation changes......
otherwise, one hell of a camera.....
12-21-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi, I worried too about these supposed phantom pixels before buying the K10D. Maybe Pentax fixed it in later revisions of the camera, but I never found them. IMHO it's non-issue, just like the supposedly "soft jpegs".

The issues of non-alignment are IMHO one of these issues that can affect any camera or manufacturer. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus all have some issues with some cameras, and it's difficult the quantify the exact numbers. Again, maybe I'm lucky but I have 0 problems with my K10D.

K100D vs K10D. The only 2 advantages of the K100D are weight (lighter) and one stop more sensitive (start at ISO 200 and end at ISO 3200, with less noise at comparable ISO than the K10D. Everything else is better on the K10D.

12-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Obviously, if you are in the market for a full featured highly customizable dslr, the K10D is the way go. The lack of a full RGB histogram is just one of many features not found on the K100D. I imagine for quite sophisticated users this is an important option. Once you become very proficient at post processing, I imagine the information can be utilized to produce better images. However, I am sure there are many K10D users who never check any of the histograms. For me the biggest issue between the two camers is simply the weight. I really came to enjoy light weight slrs that appeared in the waining days of film, and for me, today's dslrs are something of step backwards. Carry a K10D on your shoulder for a day and you may think twice about bringing it out with you the next time.

For many people, the process of taking pictures is as important as the images they capture, and for them the K10D is the only way to go becuase it provides a richer more rewarding experience. Others may simply have a passion for their family or their travels and wish to create a record either for themselves or to pass on. If you fall into the later group, I would venture to say that the smaller lighter camera would serve that function well simply becuase as things go, there is better chance that you will actually have your camera with you more often.

Of course, everyone sees things differently. Its good to see that you have held each camera. For me the difference in size and weight is significant, for others its hardly noticeable. If you fall into the later group, certainly get the K10, the added features are certainly worth the price. All said, the K10 probably represents the bast value of any camera on the market today. Its not perfect, but no camera is. ch
12-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #6

If money is not a issue, I would go with the K10D. For the price you can find it online and after the rebate. It's comes out cheaper than what I paid for my K100D a year ago. I'm going to buy a K10D soon, and keep my K100D as a 2nd body. The K100 is a great camera to learn on. But after awhile I wanted the features the K10 had to offer. And then I started to wish I would have gone with the K10.

People think the more features a camera has, the harder it will be to learn. But you have so much information on the internet, books, dvds, forums(like this) to get all the help/info you need. So i would say to go for the K10D.
12-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

All good advice and I agree that the K10D is the way to go if the budget allows. I have a *istD, K110D (same as the K100D without SR) and a K10D (actually had 2 for a few months). Never once saw a problem with hot pixels on either K10D and I think it's fairly rare. It would also be common to all brands to have an occasional chip with some dead or hot pixels.

The histogram is nice to have but for me, not a big feature. Coming from the film days, I never learned to shoot that way and use it rarely.

The extra controls and ease of use with the K10D are a big deal once you understand the camera. The ability to add the grip is also a big plus. It's a bit heavier but is rarely and issue for me. The glass weighs a lot more most of the time!!

I never really noticed the viewfinder misalignment until someone here pointed it out on theirs. Mine is off by about 0.5 degrees and is never an issue. I've always shot a little out of level and just thought it was me. With a 95% viewfinder, there's always lots of room to straighten a shot if you need to.
12-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Funny, I only just now noticed it after reading this, and only when looking for it as it's so slight (way, way less than 1 degree). I don't mind it though, because it perfectly offsets my natural tendancy to to tilt the camera slightly when pressing the shutter button.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 12-21-2007 at 10:55 PM.
12-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
btw if u buy k100d, better be prepared to play with wb coz its wb sucks and u have to set it manually everytime ur picture situation changes......
otherwise, one hell of a camera.....
Or shoot RAW and don't worry about that, and some other things :-)