Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hmm Quote
Really? Which s/w do you recommend that's free?
I mentioned it already: gimp - check the link for information and for downloading the latest version. The basic processing that I do is described here. While what I do is very simple, it always add some extra "pop" to the images I get from the camera. I don't do PP for "fixing issues", but because it's really needed - no camera is smart enough to find the optimal combination of parameters for a capture, plus you always need some sharpening if you're scaling down images for web sharing.

How long on average would that be?
I can just tell you that I still use my K10D that was introduced in 2006. I got mine in 2007 and I plan to use it until it falls apart. So it's 4 years and going (5 years if you count the model's life). If you ask me again in a decade, I'll be able to give you an average for whatever cameras managed to fall apart by then

12-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I am looking at getting a DSLR. I still have my old trusted Pentax SF10 with 100-300 mm Tamron Lens. I've been looking at DSLRs for several years now and what frustrated me about them has been two main features: purple fringing, contrast in cloudy situations, and the noise under low light or high ISOs.
I think you'll be surprised then by how well DSLRs do on low noise. PF is not a very big issue either. The much bigger downsides for DSLR's are the cropping of your lenses, and the clinical rendering of digital files.

I've only just caught the film bug, but I am currently prefering film for portraits and family 'snapshots', and DSLR's for low light, landscapes & sport. Film has a lot more personality than digital even after scanning, which I think goes well with people shots when you don't want clinical shots, you want shots with more character and feel. Sometimes though you want to burn through a ton of frames and pick the best (sport or travel) or you want clean 3200 files for low light so digital is best.
12-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Since noise was a concern, here is a post I just made in another thread. My advice: don't worry about noise - there are more important things to worry about when taking an image.
12-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #34
Hmm

Original Poster
I was mentally set to pull the trigger. I've handled four cameras: Nikon D5100, Nikon D7000, Canon 60D, and Pentax K5. Of all the cameras, the K5 felt the best to me. Then came the price including lenses. The cheapest was the D5100 but this model was quickly eliminated because it was more of an "amateurish" camera. Then it came down to the remaining three. The 7000's Liveview option control option was a real hinderence so I put it aside. The 60D was way too bulky for me to carry on trips. I eliminated it. Then I was left with the K5.

I scoped the prices of three earlier for the body. They D7000 and K5 were similar and the 60D the least expensive, especially with the kit lens 18-200 mm Canon. The Lenses for the K5 are quite pricey for the 18-200 which I decided would suit me best when I travel. I began searching for any deals on a kit combo for the K5. I didnt find any. I then back-peddled and started looking at the D7000 for price comparison purposes. Same thing. The lenses are right up their for their 18-200 lenses.

Now, I am seriously eliminating the K5 and putting the 60D back on the top list especially since it can be had with the 18-200 mm 3.5-56 IS lens for around $1200.
Comments?

12-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now, I am seriously eliminating the K5 and putting the 60D back on the top list especially since it can be had with the 18-200 mm 3.5-56 IS lens for around $1200.
Comments?
It's all about priorities. What is most important to you in a camera?

Honestly, if a super zoom lens suits you, why not get something like the Fujifilm XS-1? I personally have a hard time comprehending the use of a superzoom lens on a SLR. Something like the Fujifilm XS-1 is a logical choice if I needed such a range in a single lens camera (because if you goal is range versatility, have that camera and not having to care about anything else is ideal). I have SLRs because I can use specialized lenses on them such as the 31mm f1.8, 55mm f1.4, and 85mm f1.4.

EDIT: "been two main features: purple fringing, contrast in cloudy situations, and the noise under low light or high ISOs."

Why would you even consider a superzoom lens if you specifically want to avoid purple fringing?

The K-5 is by far a more pro level body than the 60D, plus it has a better sensor to boot. However, if I were looking for a camera that excelled at video, I'd probably choose the 60D over the K-5 because Canon is currently the best at video control.

Basically, I'm saying that you should decide what aspects are more important to your goals and make the final decision from that rather than price.
12-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Comments?
You seem to be spending a lot of time worrying about what body to get, just so you can use it with a mediocre lens.

If what you want is superzoom image quality, like SJW also said, why even consider an SLR? For example, why not go with:

Olympus E-PM1: $450
14-150/4-5.6: $500

Total: $950

You get $250 left compared to your Canon combo and you have a smaller, lighter camera that you can carry with you more easily. You can look at other similar options from Panasonic too - I prefer Olympus because they have IS in the camera, so the lenses can be smaller.

FWIW: the Olympus lens is 280g, the Canon one is 595g.
12-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #37
Hmm

Original Poster
It's not just about the body, it's also low light performance. and the cost of additional lenses. both new and in the used lens market, It's the total package. Money is definitely a factor. I definitely agree the K5 is a much better body/camera than the 60D.

My arsental would at most contain two lenses a faster lens and a general purpose "superzoom" lens. That's a must even at the cost of some purple fringing. The latter used when travelling. Does the E-PM1 or Fujifilm XS-1 fit the bill in terms of the low light performance and minimal chromatic abbrasion? The Olympus lens is quite pricey for 14-150. imo. I also read that the XS-1 likely won't be available in North America for another 6 months.

Last edited by Hmm; 12-25-2011 at 02:51 PM.
12-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #38
Veteran Member

It's not just about the body, it's also low light performance. and the cost of additional lenses. both new and in the used lens market, It's the total package. Money is definitely a factor. I definitely agree the K5 is a much better body/camera than the 60D.

My arsental would at most contain two lenses a faster lens and a general purpose "superzoom" lens. That's a must even at the cost of some purple fringing. The latter used when travelling. Does the E-PM1 or Fujifilm XS-1 fit the bill in terms of the low light performance and minimal chromatic abbrasion? The Olympus lens is quite pricey for 14-150. imo. I also read that the XS-1 likely won't be available in North America for another 6 months.
The Fujifilm is fixed lens, so you will be stuck with the lens it comes with. My suggestion was based on your last post because I didn't see your previous ones. If you do want to use a fast prime occasionally, the Fuji isn't the way to go.

Chromatic abrasion is usually a trait of the lens rather than the camera body, but some micro lenses in recent sensors seem to increase purple fringing and such.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 12-25-2011 at 05:20 PM.
12-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #39
Veteran Member

The Olympus lens is quite pricey for 14-150. imo.
How so? It is less expensive than the Canon lens and they cover pretty much the same FOV range:

14-150 with 2x crop is 28-300mm in 35mm equiv.
18-200 with 1.6x crop is 29-320mm in 35mm equiv.

I am not sure what your needs for low light really are. Do you actually need the K-5 sensor? Only you can answer that. I am happy with the low light performance of my Pen camera.
12-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #40
Hmm

Original Poster
Thanks for looking up the specs. For the sake of discussion. I just checked online this evening.The combined price of the 60D and Canon OEM 18-200 mm kit lens is over 1100. If bought separately it will be a lot more. Body of the 60D can be bought for $900. Ideally I would like to have the K5 sensor. I've seen in person several people with not so good shots in low light with the 60D. However, the Canon 60D option is a moot point. The 60D is just too bulky for me to carry around.
12-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am looking at getting a DSLR. I still have my old trusted Pentax SF10 with 100-300 mm Tamron Lens. I've been looking at DSLRs for several years now and what frustrated me about them has been two main features: purple fringing, contrast in cloudy situations, and the noise under low light or high ISOs.

If I am going to invest that much money in a camera, I would like the camera to have great low light performance, ideally out of the box with a kit lens without having to fuss much with those impromptu pic opportunites .
I don't get it.

Unless the OP spent 100 % of his time shooting ISO 50 or slower, even my lowly *istD had better resolution and noise/grain than film. It is now 8 years old and going strong. Even though I have upgraded several times since I still use that camera.

It always amazes me thateople expect absolute perfection in digital, yet live with the limits of film and accept them.

Regardless of what ever noise there is, I have a ton of shots taken at completely stupid ISO settings and accept them for what they are, photos that I will always have with tons of great memories , where if i took the OPs position, I would have nothing.

Stop having life pass you by. Get a camera and shoot. Learn how to avoid the situations and issues you mention. Technology won't solve everything.
12-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Stop having life pass you by. Get a camera and shoot. Learn how to avoid the situations and issues you mention. Technology won't solve everything.
Agreed. I waited a long time for FF wanting to use my legacy lenses with the same perspective I was used to. Bought the Leica M9 just for that reason and love it - can use it just like a film camera, but with the convenience of direct digital files.
So I got the K-5 knowing it "could" use my M-series lenses, then realized how differently it handled with them. But I found that it has great image quality even with the cheaper DA lenses, nice low-light capability, etc. I still prefer the Leica for it's "film-like" handling and familiar controls, but the K-5 is growing on me.
Don't wait: the benefits of FF are minor compared to what the K-5 gives you.
12-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I really steer clear from buying used. In theory that's very practical advice for most people. When it comes to used and even new electronics, I tend to have less than average results ie. product tends to be defective.
I have two Pentax DSLRs, as does my wife. All were bought used & we've been shooting with them for over a year now. No problems. Out of our roughly 15 lenses, all but 2 are used.

I've been buying stereo gear, studio recording equipment, music gear and cameras for 30 years now. Very seldom have I bought something used that was defective. I have bought a few new things that were duds right out of the box, though. You just have to be careful who you buy from & get a money back guarantee.

Buying used can save you some serious coin.

As far as the purple fringing, that's the lens. And even some excellent sharp lenses exhibit it from time to time, depending on what your shooting.

And as for the high ISO noise, my K100D has ISO noise roughly equal to film. My K-x is MUCH better in the ISO noise department than film.

If you wait for FF, you might have a looooooooooong wait. You could either buy a new TOTL K-5 & start shooting now, or if you're worried that 5 minutes after you buy the K-5, they'll introduce a FF camera, buy a used K-x or K-r & shoot with it til FF comes out. I can tell you from experience, the K-x is an outstanding camera as far as image quality & high ISO performance. You won't regret it. But if you do, sell it & get your money back.

Personally, after going digital, I would never go back to film.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 12-26-2011 at 09:53 AM.
12-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah!

Hold your breath!

I've been holding mine since 2001...

Cheers,
Cameron
12-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #45
Emperor and Senpai

If you REALLY want a superzoom you can get okay shots with the Sigma 28-300 Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro (AF Lens) and it can be had for 250-200 brand new on Amazon, or Pentax, Tamaron, and Sigma all have one that is 18-250.

I can tell you the Sigma is a little softer at 290-300 and the first few mm of the short end, and is okay on sharpness at a 50% crop or less in between, but will never be as sharp as a prime or a zoom with a shorter range.

I would probably get the K5 and a few lenses to cover the range you need. Even the kit lens will probably give you better results than what you have been used to, and remember, you're going to see a 1.5x factor on the lenses.

As far as low light compared to film, my Kx blows film away in low light situations, and it's an entry level one that has a maximum ISO sensitivity setting of 12,800. The K5 has a max ISO setting 51,200! I'm actually planning on getting one early in 2012 myself.

One other cool thing is Pentax DSLRs have in body shake reduction, so that means those old manual lenses benefit from it too!