Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
THIS is why I got a DSLR

I shot a portrait in my home studio for a friend the other day, and while I was setting up the strobes, my 4-year-old daughter was good enough to stand in for a few test shots while I adjusted my lighting and exposure. I had not planned to keep the photos I shot of her at the time, but as I was reviewing RAW files to delete a few minutes ago I came across the shots of her and thought, "Now that is why I got a DSLR."

It's not that it's a great photo, technically speaking. She's still in her pajamas, the fabric of which has started to pill from much use, and her hair is all mussed from sleeping. Faint remnants of her breakfast can be seen around her mouth, and her nose has a little drip from a cold. But what grabbed my attention was just how well the camera captured her.

When viewing the image at 100% magnification, it's almost as if I'm seeing her face-to-face. The amount of detail just amazes me, even after shooting with a DSLR for more than three years now. I can perceive the flawless texture of her child's-skin, and can imagine exactly how it feels. The sparkle of her clear eyes and the unique patterns of her irises. The almost-invisible peach fuzz on her face, and every single little hair of her eyebrows. Children grow up so fast--too fast--and I know I will treasure being able to look back years later and again see her unblemished child's face in every minute detail.

This is why I spent money our young family didn't have at the time for my first DSLR. It can be hard to justify spending a large portion of your paycheck on an electronic luxury when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel buying diapers and paying medical bills for two small children, but it's an investment well worth making. Children grow up so fast, and memories fade, but I now have pictures that will help me to relive these few precious years. I only wish I had abandoned my point-n-shoot sooner, since the pictures from my older daughter's first year of life are a stark contrast to what followed. When viewed at 100%, some of the pictures from the old camera almost look like impressionist paintings. I still remember how amazed I was when I brought my Olympus e-420 home and looked at the first few pictures after downloading them onto my computer.

Here is the picture in question, shot with my Pentax K-x and my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens at f5.6. The picture is almost straight out of the camera, with minimal adjustments. If you click on the picture to view the full-size image, you will also see why the Tamron 28-75mm is my go-to lens in the studio.

12-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An absolute darling, isn't she . Also, IMO, you are certainly on to the Zen of the DLSR .
12-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Ok, now do your daughter a favor and remove your setting of your camera from the picture.
12-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Ok, now do your daughter a favor and remove your setting of your camera from the picture.
She doesn't mind too much...she's used to it. Besides, if you click for the full-size image, it's free of text.

12-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

You sir have a beautiful daughter. You are right, they do grow up to fast.

I have two sons and it seems like last week we were going to the zoo and little league games, now they are both on there own and my youngest gave me my first Granddaughter almost 6 months ago.

I do hope you have hanging in your closet a FADD t-shirt for when they get older.

(FADD-Fathers Against Daughters Dating)
12-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
But what grabbed my attention was just how well the camera captured her.
Beautiful girl.. My two girls were that age just "seconds" ago, or so it seems.

Slight disagreement with the statement in your post. What grabbed my attention is how well YOU captured her. I certainly agree that DSLR's do make a nice difference, but you used this capability nicely. And it certainly helps to have a pretty subject! Thanks. Glenn
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing these thoughts.
You have a very lovely little girl.

Family shots are the very same reasons why I got a renewal of interest in photography too.
12-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #8

Edgar I've seen some of your studio shots with the tammy 28-75, they are quite astonishing. Your shots are the ones that finally nudged me to sell my fa31 and get this instead (its still on its way). If it can do 80% of FA31's performance at 1/3 the cost I'll be more than happy,

btw just curious are you using studio lightning or flash / strobes ?

12-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

what a gorgeous picture! she looks adorable!!!

please tell me this is a tamron 28-75 autofocus and not a manual. because if it's a manual there's a chance it will be in my budget and i will need to fight the LBA to get it.
12-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
what a gorgeous picture! she looks adorable!!!

please tell me this is a tamron 28-75 autofocus and not a manual. because if it's a manual there's a chance it will be in my budget and i will need to fight the LBA to get it.
Rest easy, it is an AF lens.

(Then again the price is not too bad for a modern AF lens with primish IQ ... a 1:2.8 constant zoom, extremely useful FL range too ... all considered it might actually not be exxy at all, really, but a bargain, especially second hand ... ).
12-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shot of a beautiful child, precious and priceless.
Someday you and your daughter will look at it together and laugh with teary yet joyful eyes as she remembers (if she would) you, her dear father, taking that shot.

Thank you for that reminder, sir Edgar_in_Indy. I guess it was a good choice I got a dSLR before I had my own kid. I remember how my younger brother grew up too - he's in college now and it feels just like yesterday when I walked him to kindergarten school. And the mention of the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 got my hands itching again )
12-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice portrait there. Every time I get a good one of my wife or niece, I think "this is why I got a DSLR". As far as my wife's concerned, it also goes some way to justifying the money spent on the hobby (read "habit") of my LBA.
12-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #13
Forum Member

This is a precious shot. I just posted some good portraits of my girlfriend using the K-x and this lens (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/88994-show-us-your...ml#post1741552), and I felt the exact same way. And the 28-75mm has also become my go to lens, even though I used to LOVE my 50mm f1.7, I haven't used it in a while.
12-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

She is so cute Eddy - we've seen many lovely shots of her before and you are rightly proud of her. And yes, a DSLR really does make a difference (even better with a top quality lens on it).

Unfortunately for me I came into ('real') photography too late but luckily my daughter models now so even though she lives 6,000 miles (9,000 kms) away at least I regularly get lots of shots of her that many parents don't get, not least because they don't see enough of their daughters

And now we have a daily Skype too
12-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, a large sensor camera makes a lot of difference in IQ. Fortunately, we're spoiled with choices these days - mirrorless and SLT cameras are now alternatives to SLRs.