Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help needed for K10D

I have a new camera. K10D. Have been reading up on it and trying different things with it. The problem I seem to be having is purple fringing, green fringing, or one of those colors. My software, Paint Shop Pro, will not remove the purple fringing with the option to do so. And, I have found out that it will not support this camera in RAW. I have been uploading into Picasa and then converting to JPG and then into Paint Shop Pro, which seems to be defeating the purpose. I have Photoshop Elements on here now but have not looked much into that as yet. I sort of feel like my exposure must be wrong or something like that. I don't notice it too much, usually, until I look at it at 100 percent view. I only have the lenses that came with the camera so maybe I am not using them correctly also. The lenses are not exactly what I would like and I still have so much to learn about those. One is a 70-300, with that macro button on the lens, and the other, which I haven't used much is an 18-55 lens. I am a newbie to this, coming only from a point and shoot camera. And, having to learn all about lenses too as I go along. Any advice or help will be appreciated so much.

12-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

You could always download GIMP, along with ufraw for free and it might just do what you want.

I'd say that the 18-55mm lens is probably the best lens of the 2, and I don't think that I've ever seen any fringing with it.
12-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twayblade Quote
I have a new camera. K10D. Have been reading up on it and trying different things with it. The problem I seem to be having is purple fringing, green fringing, or one of those colors. My software, Paint Shop Pro, will not remove the purple fringing with the option to do so. And, I have found out that it will not support this camera in RAW. I have been uploading into Picasa and then converting to JPG and then into Paint Shop Pro, which seems to be defeating the purpose. I have Photoshop Elements on here now but have not looked much into that as yet. I sort of feel like my exposure must be wrong or something like that. I don't notice it too much, usually, until I look at it at 100 percent view. I only have the lenses that came with the camera so maybe I am not using them correctly also. The lenses are not exactly what I would like and I still have so much to learn about those. One is a 70-300, with that macro button on the lens, and the other, which I haven't used much is an 18-55 lens. I am a newbie to this, coming only from a point and shoot camera. And, having to learn all about lenses too as I go along. Any advice or help will be appreciated so much.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with PSP and also the K10D

Note the latest version of PSP X2 does read all pentax PEF files from ALL models

with respect to the Purple fringe tool, I fould it useless, BUT the chromatic aboration tool is excellent and will get rid of just about any color cast fringe
12-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi twayblade

Just out of interest, which version of Paint Shop Pro are you currently using ? I think that Chromatic Aberration Removal became available from Version 9 onwards.

QuoteQuote:
The Chromatic Aberration Removal section describes what chromatic aberration is, what causes it, and where you might be likely to notice it in your digital photos. Each option for the filter is clearly explained so the user can understand exactly what the parameters do.
Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 12-21-2007 at 11:29 AM.
12-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stop shooting areas of extreme contrast-something typical of noon-day shooting especially, eg through green foliage against a bright pale blue sky. Stop pixel peeping. There are a few editing operations that require 100% viewing--correcting this problem might be one if the problem is in a key or essential subject area(s), but not in general.

Your consumer grade lens is more prone to color fringing in the right circumstances than a more expensive lens; but shooting in those conditions is not generally advised regardless of lens.

Paint shop is not the most effective photo editor nor are file managers like ACDSee or small free editors like Picasa. With the proper updates Elements is both adequate and efficient for general photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by twayblade Quote
12-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi all and thanks for all your information. I am using version XI of paint shop pro. I will check out some of your ideas. Most of my shooting conditions are cloudy and foggy lately. I will definitely try the chromatic aberration removal. Have not done that yet. And, I really didn't know that I was pixel peeping (wondered what that meant). I do look at the photos at 100 percent due to the fringing and background noise I am getting, even at ISO 100 and 200. I upload the better photos on flickr and know that several there look at the large size, or original size images. I do need a bunch more practice, that's for sure.