Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Camera Strap for Biking

I usually use my "normal" camera strap when carrying a camera and biking at the same time; this lets me stop and take a few quick pics and then keep going...

Now, paranoia is setting in and wondering if anybody bikes with their camera and/or have good suggestions to fool proof camera straps. I'm not trail biking, just street biking... the regular strap hasn't let me down yet, but I don't want to wait till the yet

Thanks, Rick

12-12-2011, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my stock camera strap that from the K-m I own with no problems to date. I just put the strap around my right shoulder put the camera on my left side to carry the camera safely. You could look into getting a small bag us to carry the camera to help keep in covered when travelling. I use some smaller Fuji cameras that I carry this way. It works good.
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
I use my stock camera strap that from the K-m I own with no problems to date. I just put the strap around my right shoulder put the camera on my left side to carry the camera safely. You could look into getting a small bag us to carry the camera to help keep in covered when travelling. I use some smaller Fuji cameras that I carry this way. It works good.
Been using the stock strap and it hasn't let me down yet, but I'm carrying more expensive lenses and I don't want a "yikes" or "should've known" happen

Like you suggested, may end up getting a small holster type bag the camera can slip into and out of... The problem with these, tend to have short straps not designed to go over shoulder around neck...

Thanks for the feedback!
12-12-2011, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

if you are looking for something a little more secure (and it also holds the camera more secure) look for a binoccular harness. it is literally a harness that you wear, so it distributes the weight and its kind of elastic so it will absorb shock and it allows the camera to be raised to take a picture. I orginally had the for binoculars and once i got the camera i started using it on the camera. beware, friends and loved ones WILL make fun of you though!

12-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

I would look at putting a bike carrier on the bike to allow you have the camera on the bike and not on yourself. Look for a bike bag at has some padding to protect your camera or look at adding some yourself. I would use this option if the camera is going to be carried on extended bike trips.

Otherwise, the strap idea mentioned after my post sounds good for short trips with your camera and prevents it from being loose around your neck.
12-12-2011, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm too worried about a mishap to my camera or lens to carry it on a strap while riding my bikes. I do carry the camera and lenses in a rack trunk I modified with foam padding for protection. I had the camera and lenses in the trunk when I crashed at about 16 mph, and though my handlebars were twisted around and I bashed up my arm and shoulder, the gear was completely unscathed. Being behind the saddle seemed the least risky place to me. Here's how I outfitted the rack trunk to carry the gear.

If I WAS going to carry the camera on its strap while riding, I'd be glad to have used climbers' webbing for the purpose -- here's what I did -- figuring that if it will hold my weight in a climbing fall, it'll do for my camera, too. It's soft and strong, and doesn't cut into my neck, either.
12-16-2011, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #7

I have a DIY hard holster case that I built. When backpacking, hiking or doing field research I attach it to the belt strap of my backpack. When I am skiing, snowboarding, climbing or rough water sailing I attach the holster to my chest using a climbing harness. When I used to bike a lot I put the (then soft) holster in the front pack of my bike as it was the easiest place to grab it after I stopped. Positioned with the top of the holster up and the strap dangling out. I don't like things swinging off me, especially when biking, running, climbing or skiing as the extra movement can make you unbalanced and wastes energy. This is why few serious bikers (who can afford panniers) would ever bike with a pack on their person.

Chest harness or in the front bike pack or in the pack atop your rear rack (as Tamia said) is my advice.

12-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback and ideas!

I usually just ride with the camera over shoulder using the OEM strap and the only thing I've lost in a couple of years, just 1 lens cap!!! But I've grown to value my present collection (which is silly if you're going to ride a bike through the city) and I find myself riding less and less with the camera over shoulder and more in a messenger bag. The problem with this, you gotta get the camera out of bag and then shot v. swing camera around and shot...

I may settle for a holster type waist bag...
12-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #9

If you want to be able to catch the shot quick nothing beats a chest harness. It is the safest location if unprotected, i feel. And right there. Camera and binocular specific ones are better than what I linked to, I just needed the harness to hold my weight sometimes and wearing 2 harnesses is a pain.

Holsters are a little slower but are safer, especially if you can find one that is HARD and RIDGED one. I tried for a long time to find one ridged enough to stand on... so i made one. If you find one let us know. I liked the think tank design but it is not protective. same with the lowe pros.

Also, If you are using a strap and only a strap I would sew the webbing ends directly to the camera instead of relying on the metal and plastic buckles and hooks that come with the strap. I will take 10 minutes but you will relax about the strap breaking while biking.

Last edited by cadmus; 12-17-2011 at 08:10 AM.
12-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a Kata holster bag that I strap to the side of the rear rack like a pannier -- I usually have another regular bike trunk bag on the rear rack for lunch, etc. I strap it in such a way with elastic straps to the top hand loop that it has a bit of a suspension system and isn't aborbing all the bumps, etc (along with some other straps around the body of it to keep it from swinging around and so it is totally secure). I can just reach back and grab the camera without getting off the bike (carefully by the strap because it would be easy to let it slip from that position), but generally if I'm gonna take pictures I do get off the bike. I would never carry it on my body while riding -- you can't take pictures while riding anyway. I can unhook the bag easily enough to take it with me when I lock up the bike somewhere. The bag is extremely tough and secure when closed -- if I was in a crash the damaged the camera I am pretty sure that would be the least of my worries...
12-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Check out this DIY.

Last edited by song_hm; 12-17-2011 at 01:12 PM.
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Look into the Cotton Carrier system.

12-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #13

There was a lady I saw while hiking this summer who had her camera with the back right against her chest. It looked like some type of harness that was holding it there--she had this thing wrapped around her shoulders & when I told her that it looked like a good way of carrying the camera she said it was a suspender. How she wrapped it around her shoulders I don't know but since it has some elasticity to it you would just pull the camera away from your body to look through the viewfinder. That would be a cost effective alternative but using it biking might be a different matter.
12-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I ordered something from Adorama recently and flipping through the catalog that came with the order, I noticed these things:

flashpoint camera bike bracket - Adorama.com

bicycle mount - Adorama.com

I thought it was pretty interesting. I don't have a bicycle but if I did, it might be interesting to set your camera on interval shooting in auto and wheel (and click!) away.
12-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
I ordered something from Adorama recently and flipping through the catalog that came with the order, I noticed these things:

flashpoint camera bike bracket - Adorama.com

bicycle mount - Adorama.com

I thought it was pretty interesting. I don't have a bicycle but if I did, it might be interesting to set your camera on interval shooting in auto and wheel (and click!) away.
If I put that thing on my bike with my camera on it, a crash would be guaranteed on the first outing. (Not to mention rocks, etc flying up into the lens) I spent all my time trying to figure out how to hook up something to carry my camera on the bike so it would be bullet-proof. Sticking it out on the front handlebars -- no way unless I was actually shooting a film under controlled conditions. (How many videos of actual riding around do I need?)