Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

It is 2012 soon...any plain grip that can add a bit of weight to my kx?

After some research I gave up the thought of vertical grip, or even just a battery grip.

How about just a plain grip that adds a pound to my kx? No battery or fancy function needed, just a grip holder...
I have thinking about a cheap ebay grip (any camera model that have similar size of the kx), and similar cut off the battery part and screw it in with the tripod screw mount.
But i'm not sure if that really works...

I totally love my kx but the weight is just too unbalance sometimes with a bigger lens, even just a 16-45mm lens.
I don't really have a big hand but the default grip is still too small for my hand to hold.

Any advice?

12-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
might be easier to pick up a second body grip combo and get some other features the kx doesn't have and run a 2 body system (a K10 and grip should be available reasonably keep the kx for high iso and compact)

if you look you gain a number of features in alternate bodies

kx/k10/k7 comparison

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=kx&c2=k10d&c3=k7
12-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
thx eddie.

however i don't have the budget for a 2 body system (if i have the budget i would just get the k5 by selling my kx instead)
plus the kx is really great for its iso performance and that's critical to me, so i don't want to give it up unless i can upgrade to k5...

any other suggestion?
12-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i don't think any of the grips are small enough even with cutting things off (aside from the pins connecting to the body there are also pins to keep it in place and a lip if i remember (my grips are at home today)
K10 with grip would be $250-300 BTW and better at low iso
even a cheap Chinese grip will set you back 50-60 with shipping

it would be nice for kx users if they had come up with a grip like the FG they made for mz/fz film cameras. (problem is there aren't enough models to spread it over the Kr has a different shape)

12-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
hm i guess saving for a k5 is is better way now...
I am still not use to bringing 2 cameras out
12-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you don't mind a hacked fix, are handy, and don't mind removing the tripod mount functionality for a bit, you could always get some channel steel or angle iron and a wingtip screw that will fit the tripod mount.

Just hacksaw a piece off, drill appropriate sized holes where necessary, file down sharp edges, and coat with some sort of electrical tape, leaving room for the wingtip screw to connect the new base grip.

Lot of work? Check. Looks ugly? Check. Better balance? Questionable. Personalized? Aw, yeah!
12-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
If you don't mind a hacked fix, are handy, and don't mind removing the tripod mount functionality for a bit, you could always get some channel steel or angle iron and a wingtip screw that will fit the tripod mount.

Just hacksaw a piece off, drill appropriate sized holes where necessary, file down sharp edges, and coat with some sort of electrical tape, leaving room for the wingtip screw to connect the new base grip.

Lot of work? Check. Looks ugly? Check. Better balance? Questionable. Personalized? Aw, yeah!
You took the writing off my keyboard. I was going to suggest to take a piece of lead, lick it and stick it to the bottom of the camera.

12-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
lol icewindow that's a great idea.
but im not the kind of diy person, i will very likely screw up in the middle
12-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #9

I use a Manfrotto telescopic monopod all the time for my
nightime low shutter speed shots (with a quick release base system)

I'm so used to having that handy 'vertical grip handle' that I now
leave the monopod on all the time, just keep it collapsed to it's minimum length.
During the cold season it's easier to hold with gloves on too than trying to grip the camera body.
Adds quite a bit of weight too...!
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

Here's my Rig with a grip

Here's what my kx looks like when its on the job. I made a grip that adds weight and size to the camera and it really helps to stabilize it too.

Gosh its hard to post a picture on this site.

Last edited by tigerzen; 12-12-2011 at 09:58 PM.
12-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #11

I too have a large Metz flash atop my K-x at all times.
My above mentionned monopod trick helps 'lower the center of gravity' and add some stability to this top heavy combo.
12-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
I made a grip that adds weight and size to the camera
Cool.

Pls guide us through how you made that grip.
12-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #13

Original Poster
mlatour: sounds interesting but i can't really picture the set up, image please?

tigerzen: looks totally awesome!
is it hard to build? guide please?
12-13-2011, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

how to make a the grip

1 Get a grip for a Canon xt usually around twenty dollars on EBay...

there are many I chose the SAKAR grip because it was the cheapest at 17 dollars. It feels as cheap as it is but it works good for me. Other grips are better made but cost more.

The canon xt is almost the same size as the kx but only slight difference and the grip will protrude a bit on one side but the SCREW will align fine with the camera's tripod mount. I also use this grip for my Pentax ist DS.

2 Remove all the screws that hold the metal plate and remove plate

3 Remove a small pin. This is a small pin that stabilizes the Canon to the grip...Pentax has no hole for this so take it out.

4 Remove the battery stalk by cutting the wires underneath it. The battery stalk should come off easily with the metal plate off. Its held together by a band of wires just snip them off and tuck the wires in the hole.

5 Use a dremmel or hack saw or whatever tools you have to remove a bit of the PLASTIC EDGING to make the grip top surface flush.

6 Put metal plate back on

7 To protect the underside of the camera I used a Neoprene mat that I got at Micheal's for 95 cents. Cut to the size of the grip and then glue. This will protect the camera from scratches also seal the hole where the battery stalk use to be.

8 You will also have to add a piece of Velcro by the camera's battery door and this helps the camera from slipping side to side since we've taken off the stabilization pin that holds this firm to the Canon rebel. I use the small round Velcro dots work great.

9 Use AA batteries in the battery holder to all weight to the grip. I have two dummy batteries and four Enegizer rechargeables that I don't use anymore to add weight. Six was too heavy for me but you can adjust to what you suits you.

STORAGE: The grip can also be used to store extra SD cards and spare set of batteries simply by talking the battery holder out and utilizing the empty space for your stuff.

STABILITY: For me the extra weight really adds stability to the camera and I believe it improves the SR since the extra weight adds some resistance to the small light camera. But the best thing is if you need a small camera just take the grip off. I have also thought about adding lights the grip for Video using LED's.

This is my updated setup

Last edited by tigerzen; 12-13-2011 at 08:39 AM.
12-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #15

Original Poster
thanks tigerzen!
that's the kind of guide i am looking for!
off to ebay now..