Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

K-r discontinued: implications?

This site thinks it's official that the K-r has been discontinued.
  1. A DSLR product line needs an entry-level camera.
  2. No replacement for the K-r has been announced.
  3. The K-r was announced nearly four months before the K-x was discontinued.
What, if anything, can we conclude from this?

Jeff

12-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That something new is bound to come once the Pentax execs return from their Christmas breaks

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That something new is bound to come once the Pentax execs return from their Christmas breaks
Have you heard something?

Should the K-r's discontinuation, with no successor announced, raise concerns about Ricoh's commitment to the Pentax DSLR product line?

Jeff
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I realize that this site has declared the K-r discontinued based on input from B&H and other sources, however I'd like to point to the deafening silence from Richo-Pentax on this issue.

I, with no offense intended to either this forum's management nor B&H, remain skeptical that the K-r has been discontinued. One reason is that WalMart just penned an exclusive deal to sell various colors of K-r in the US. Another is the lack of replacement announced.

Let's not head to the bomb shelters just yet, ok.

12-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Should the K-r's discontinuation, with no successor announced, raise concerns about Ricoh's commitment to the Pentax DSLR product line?
This has been discussed quite a bit. Ricoh didn't buy Pentax in order to shut it down. Announcing a replacement early makes it harder for retailers to sell off their stock of the discontinued item. All is well in the world (except politics and Olympus). Relax.
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why, by all that is holy, would Pentax announce a replacement when the world is going to end in 2012? Hmm?

Come on guys use your head!
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Relax.
OK
12-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote from the link
QuoteQuote:
it is now more or less official that the Pentax K-r has been discontinued
So there is nothing official about this and so it's not discontinued.

12-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Come on guys use your head!
Not that one; the other head.
12-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not that one; the other head.
I'm going to the head right now. Then I'm hitting the rack. It's almost tomorrow.
12-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I, with no offense intended to either this forum's management nor B&H, remain skeptical that the K-r has been discontinued.
Ditto, but personally, I find it a little disappointing that the forum management seems to keep trying to hype the issue. It isn't B&H or Adorama's job to act as Pentax's press department, and until Pentax is ready to announce it, it isn't official.

Announcing a replacement early makes it harder for retailers to sell off their stock of the discontinued item.
Meh, it's a catch 22. If the announce a replacement, lots of people want to wait for the new model, but quiet a few also want to scoop a deal on the current one as it's headed out. If they don't announce one, people get antsy about IF they'll announce one, and lean towards a wait and see stance. That doesn't help sell more K-r's, and the insecurity caused by a few can be quite contagious.
12-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #12

Truth is we don't know if the K-r is end of line or not. I suspect it is based purely on "low stocks" I know quite a few retailers who were selling the K-r simply don't have any stocks left at all. Not all obviously.
Normal procedure for makers is to have a new model or at least a press release indicating this..then to finish off the old one a while after that. We really don't know what is going on.

Clearly Pentax do need an affodable model in their range so we assume something is going to arrive pretty quickly. If not then that's not a good thing for the company.
12-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

How many threads on this do we need

1. it's likely correct it is discontinued (it's due for replacement and has been for a while now)
2. Manufacturing of any camera using Sony Sensors was disrupted by the Floods in Thailand delaying a number of pending (rumoured) announcements and making stocks pretty thin this christmas
3. Ricoh may well have delayed the announcement of the successor because they took over in october and usual announcement would have been back in September. Hoya may not have green lighted any replacement due to pending transfer
4. CES and PMA are in January in Vegas - likely what will be the site of many model announcements
5. Ricoh did not spend all that money just to slowly dismantle Pentax, they bought it to make money and grow the brand

So take a deep breath and relax. Stocks are a little limited(buit still there for now) probably due to sensor stocks(walmart likely got the deal to clear all the coloured stock)
There will be a new model. There may also be a gap between models this time for the above mentioned reasons
12-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Why was the *ist discontinued?
Why was the K10D discontinued?
Why was the K100D discontinued?
Why was the K200D discontinued?
Why was the K20D discontinued?
Why was the K-m discontinued?
Why was the K-7 discontinued?
Why was the K-r discontinued?

New models replaced them.

Relax.

Jason
12-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Why was the *ist discontinued?
Why was the K10D discontinued?
Why was the K100D discontinued?
Why was the K200D discontinued?
Why was the K20D discontinued?
Why was the K-m discontinued?
Why was the K-7 discontinued?
Why was the K-r discontinued?

New models replaced them.

Relax.

Jason
I'd guess that none of those cameras was discontinued before its replacement was announced. That's what is causing concern in the case of the K-r.

It's likely that all is OK, but Ricoh could remove all doubt with an announcement regarding their plans for the Pentax DSLR product line.

I have an Olympus E-620 with a couple of good lenses, which might explain my sensitivity on this issue.

I'd describe myself as relaxed, but wary .

Jeff